Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

how do i hookup a 4 channel amp to subs?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

how do i hookup a 4 channel amp to subs?

• i have a kenwood kac-849 2/3/4 channelamp, would it be possible to hook that 4 channel amp up to subs? i have read reviews that it is bridgeable

and would it be possible to put 2 channels for the speakers and the other 2 channels for subs? help me outtt

• It is going to depend on what you have for sub(s).

I assume you mean, "running channel 1 to the left rear speaker, runnig channel 2 to the right rear speaker, and bridging channels 3 and 4 to run subs"?  Correct?  The specs for that amp are:

Max Power output at 4 ohms

4 ch....100w X 4

3 ch....100w X 2 + 300w X 1

2 ch....300w X 2

That being said, in the configuration that I think you are getting at, puts 100w to each of the rear speakers (at 4 ohms), and 300w to a sub (at 4 ohms).  So for instance if you have (2) lower wattage subs that are 2 ohm (wired in series) or 8 ohm (wired in parallel), or (1) 4 ohm sub, then you've got yourself in the right ballpark.  But it's all going to depend on what you have or plan to run for subwoofers.

Keep in mind, the specs I listed are maximum power output, rms outputs are:

4 ch....50w X 4

3 ch....50w X 2 + 150w X 1

2 ch....150w X 2

• Basically, true, however, I'd prefer we not quote Max power specs on the forum - they are meaningless and only confuse new members that think they might have some useful purpose.

Here is a link to the amp.

Essentially you need a 4-ohm load on the amp to drive subs with it - preferably one DVC-2-ohm or SVC-4-ohm sub, or two SVC-8-ohm or DVC-4-ohm subs.

The amp will provide 50Wx2@4-ohms to your front speakers (or rear) and 150Wx1@4-ohms bridged to your sub(s).

You could alternately run subs in stereo off the rear channels at either 50Wx2@4-ohms or 75Wx2@2-ohms (depending on the subs), but they would have to be pretty small subs.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• what would be the best way to go about hooking up these three items in my car to make it sound great? and is it possible even? let me knowwww pleasee i need help

[edited by: bAsS AdDikT at 10:06 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Nov 09 2008]
  • i also have a capasitor that i was planning on hooking the amp up to possibly not sure

would the subs then play the vocals on songs ? because its a speaker amp.. or will the amp play the bass?

i also have tweaters i plan to install for treble

• bAsS AdDikT:
    i also have a capasitor that i was planning on hooking the amp up to possibly not sure

Probably a waste for a 150W RMS amp, but if you want to and it would be collecting dust otherwise, why not ...

would the subs then play the vocals on songs ? because its a speaker amp.. or will the amp play the bass?

The subs will play vocals unless you enable the Low-Pass Filter (LPF), which you should, btw. Devil

i also have tweaters i plan to install for treble

Okay - I would probably just run those off the HU internal amp.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• alright thanks, i am going to purchase a 8 ohm sub and i assume the installer will know to install them parrallell? once i tell him to use channekl 1 channel 2 for rear speakers and channel 3 channel 4 to power the sub . i should be alright correct me if im wrong
  • What subs are you looking at?

The amp is 150W bridged at 4-ohms.

Two 75W RMS SVC-8-ohm subs will work fine, but that might be hard to come up with.

I'd tell the installer you want them bridged to channels 3 and 4 at 4-ohms, but yeah, he should know that.

Hope This Helps!!!

• so what should i tell the installer? hook two speakers up to channels 1 and 2 and subs up to channels 3 and 4? and change the settings on the amp for tha challens 3 and 4 so the subs dont push out vocals, just bas? does thats ound right? or no
  • Wire the tweeters off the HU. 

The two rear speakers wired to channels 1 and 2 on the amp.

alright thanks, i am going to purchase----> a 8 ohm sub <----and i assume the installer will know to install them parrallell? once i tell him to use channekl 1 channel 2 for rear speakers and channel 3 channel 4 to power ---->the sub<----. i should be alright correct me if im wrong

(One) svc 4 ohm sub, OR (two) 8 ohm svc subs wired in parallel, OR (one) dvc 2 ohm sub wired in series..-..Sub(s) are wired to channels 3 and 4 bridged at 4-ohms and enable the Low-Pass Filter.

svc = single voice coil sub

dvc = dual voice coil sub

Hope this helps

• is there any other kind of subs that i could use Two of them, except 8 ohm svc subsS?
  • Yep - you need 4-ohms final and ideally about 150W total on the sub channel.

Frankly, the easiest way to do this would be a single 125-200W RMS SVC-4-ohm or DVC-2-ohm sub.

If you want two subs, you can run either two SVC-8-ohms, DVC-4-ohms, or SVC-2-ohms subs (wired to 4-ohms final), but keep in mind that to stay within CF's amp guidelines, the subs need to be below 214W combined (100W each), and preferably 75W each.

Hope This Helps!!!

• TigerHeli:

If you want two subs, you can run either two SVC-8-ohms, DVC-4-ohms, or SVC-2-ohms subs (wired to 4-ohms final),

what does this mean?

• Two SVC-8-ohms subs in parallel is 4-ohm final at the amp.

Two DVC-4-ohm subs with the voice coils in series and the subs in parallel is 4-ohms final at the amp.

Two SVC-2-ohm subs wired in series is 4-ohm final at the amp.

Was there something else you didn't follow?

• no, but just to make sure , i just found two subs which are , 1 Pioneer TS-W252R http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSW252R/Pioneer-TS-W252R.html?search=pioneer+subwoofer&tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

and 1Kenwood KFC-W2509 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113W2509/Kenwood-KFC-W2509.html?search=KFCW2509&tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

which are 2 SVC 4 ohm 10 inch subs one being 600w max and the other 700w max

could this work with that 4 channel amp setup