Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Lights Dimming!!!! Need More Power??????

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Lights Dimming!!!! Need More Power??????

This question is answered

I am running a kicker zx850.2 amp to 2 kicker cvr 12in 4ohm, rigged to 2ohm, subs in a kicker ported encloser. I believe the wire gauge in 8. My lights are dimming and was wondering how to fix this? Thought I could just use a power cap, but, a friend of mine said to run a deep cycle battery inline with my power wire to my amp. Would this work ?Or should I get both??? Thank you!

Verified Answer
  • You need to do what is known as the Big 3 Upgrade. Larger than stock high quality copper wiring, at least 4 gauge, from battery negative to chassis ground, from engine ground to chassis ground, and from battery positive to alternator positive. Clean any dirt, grease, oil, paint, etc. from grounding points and ground to bare metal only. You also need 4 gauge wiring from battery to amp, or from battery to capacitor if you install a capacitor. You need an inline fuse in the power wire as close to the battery as possible, 10% larger than your total system amperage. Google Big 3 Upgrade. You would be even better off to use 1/0 gauge wiring, but just do it, then go from there.

Cool

[edited by: GLH at 12:01 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 14 2009]

GLH Geeked

All Replies
  • You need to do what is known as the Big 3 Upgrade. Larger than stock high quality copper wiring, at least 4 gauge, from battery negative to chassis ground, from engine ground to chassis ground, and from battery positive to alternator positive. Clean any dirt, grease, oil, paint, etc. from grounding points and ground to bare metal only. You also need 4 gauge wiring from battery to amp, or from battery to capacitor if you install a capacitor. You need an inline fuse in the power wire as close to the battery as possible, 10% larger than your total system amperage. Google Big 3 Upgrade. You would be even better off to use 1/0 gauge wiring, but just do it, then go from there.

Cool

[edited by: GLH at 12:01 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 14 2009]

GLH Geeked

• It would help to know what kind of car you got. Kickers draw alot of power and my buddy has the same issue in his 1995 BMW M3 and he is running 3 JL Audio 12 inch subwoofers using a 1 Farad capacitor. I told him he needs to upgrade his capacitor.  German cars naturally have thick power wires and thick ground wires (think 0 gauge) but American and Japanese cars skimp on that part so doing the BIG 3 will help. What is the rating on your capacitor? Try a larger one like 5 farad from Tsunami.

• 2 farads of capacitance is more than enough for 850 watts of amp power. More capacitance is not gonna help if your wiring isn't large enough or your grounds aren't as good as they can be. This includes vehicle battery, alternator and ground wiring as well as amp power and ground wiring.

Indifferent

GLH Geeked

• First and foremost, upgrade your power/ground wiring to 4gauge minimum! (Preferably 2gauge; Kickers tend to be current hogs.)

Next, upgrade the Big Three (alternator positive to battery positive, battery negative to chassis, engine ground to chassis) to 4gauge minimum. (Preferably 1/0 gauge, especially if you plan on ever upgrading your system.)

In my opinion, capacitors are only band-aid solutions, and do not address the main issues that you have: Your lights are dimming because your amp is pulling so much current that your car's electrical system does not have enough left over to function correctly. By upgrading your wiring, you will decrease the resistance and allow greater current capabilities. If the wiring upgrades don't fix the problem, you might want to look into getting a high output alternator and/or capacitor, but only after you have completed the above wiring upgrades.

What vehicle is this all installed in? What is the amperage rating on your alternator? Are you running any other amps (speakers) that you haven't mentioned yet?

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters