Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Hooking up a second amp to interior speakers

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Hooking up a second amp to interior speakers

• Ok so i have a panasonic cq-c1300u HU and right now i am running my four interior speakers, 2 6x9s and 2 6.5s both infinity, off of the HU and running a 2 channel amp, sony xm2200gtx, connected to the HU to power 2 12inch infinity subs.  I want to add a four channel amp to power the interior speakers because the quality could be better and the noise of the subs over power the interior speakers.  I understand how to power both amps by using a fused distributor block to split the 4 awg to two 8awg. I have a few questions that need answering though.

1.) Do i need a distribution block for the grounds or can I get away without one?

2.) How do i connect the amp to the HU, do I have enough pre amps?  (please give me all realistic and quality options)

3.) what guage wire should i use for connecting the speakers to the amp?

4.) Are there any other helpfu suggestions or thoughts that anyone has to help me out solving the hook up problem and the noise over power problem?

Thank you for your help, please phrase yur answers so I can grasp the concepts.  I like to think i have a fairly decent amount experience and knowledge in this field, but the more simple the better.

• hey man welcome to the forums... ok well first off you only have 2 preamp outs, however this shouldn't be a problem b/c you can either splice the rca's with a pair of these or use the line level inputs... oh and you may or may not need a dist for the grounds depending on where you are placing the amps   (if you tell me where you are putting them i can better help) but you shouldn't (ime going to run 3 or 4 amps and ime not using one for the grounds) btw what are you putting these in (car) and thhe gage to connect to the speakers depends on the type of connections... but 12 or so should be fine

[edited by: Daniel at 10:39 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 17 2007] link
    "Quit jivin You GOTcho thAng on!"
  • thank you for the great info.  You are correct in assuming that this is for a car.  And the new amp will go next to the subwoofer amp in the trunk.  Also i was wondering is it safe/ok to reuse the wire already hooking up the speakers to the HU because there is no need to waste it if i dont have to.  I am on a slight budget you know.
  • lol i was more asking what kind of car... the trunk should have plenty of grounds for the amp but ground them on either side away from each other if possible. it is definitely alright to use that wire, however it is generally very hard to reroute all along your car and its generally very cheap wire
  • Depending on the model, the new amp may also have a pass-through set of RCA's that you can use to feed the subwoofer amp.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• its a 2 door toyota.  refering to the comment left by TigerHeli could i use the pass through RCA's on the xm2200gtx sony amp, if it has some to hoop up the four channel to the interior speakers.  Or would i have to use the pass throughs on the new amp and hook the subwoofer amp (sony) to that?  Also what are some supplies I am going to need to install this amp.  I know i need the amp itself, rca cables, power and ground wire, a fused distribution block, the interconnect signal Y cables (how many do i need if I run everything off the HU?) anything else???
  • you will not need the y-cables if you use the rca outputs on the new amp to run the sony amp... you can run 2 sets of rca's from the receiver to the new amp and then one set from the new amp to the old one . hope this helps

|------------|                                    |-------------------|           |-------------|
    | hu        |================|   new amp   |----------|old amp  |
    |_______|                                    |___________|          |________|                  (something like this)

[edited by: p rodd at 9:16 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 17 2007] [edited by: p rodd at 9:16 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 17 2007]
  • thank you very much, but since the old amp is already installed and a big pain to get to to mess with wiring i was wondering if its possible to do what u described above only run the new amp from the old amp seeing as it has pass through rca's as well?
  • sure you could do that, however you would not have all 4 channels unless you used the y-cables... what you could do is just run one set of rca's along the existing ones and just unplug them from the existing amp and plug them into rear on the new one then continue from there... or you could save on wiring plug the y's directly into new amp from the old one... but again you wont have rear/front seperation which will hurt you when tweaking for imaging(if you are concerned with these things)

[edited by: p rodd at 10:03 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 17 2007]
  • Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful.  On a side note, what exactly do passive crossovers do for your speakers and sub.  I am referring to the external ones you buy after market and not ones that are integrated into an amp or another component of the system.  Just a nice simple explanation of how they work, what they do, and the differences you would ntice if they were installed would be great.  Also a link to a DIY install website or page about crossovers would be great.
  • I suspect that the "crossovers" you are referring to are actually bass blockers.  They do exactly what the name implies.  If you are running, say, 5" components with a subwoofer, you want to prevent very low frequencies from reaching the mid-bass driver.  Extremely low frequencies could damage it, or at the very least muddy up the sound.  If your amplifier does not have a high pass crossover built into it and you don't have the room for an external electronic crossover, then you could put the bass blocker on the speaker to protect it and block the unwanted frequencies.  There are two schools of thought to this.  Some people believe that every electronic device in the chain adds some distortion to the signal and run pure amps with no crossovers in them, using passive crossovers to do the work instead.  Others consider the added noise to be minimal and passive crossovers to be power wasters, so they go electronic.  Most of us end up with a combination of the two.

• I dont have components so using my head units HPF and LPFs, with all amps set to pass-thru and no bass blockers have worked well. (though I suspect that coaxials have passovers built in)

http://www.bcae1.com/xovrslop.htm

Pzaul

Kenwood X491, Epic 150 HO Alternator, 1/0 Gauge Big 3 Sony XM-4S, Hifonics BXi 2006D Clarion SRR1027, Infinity Reference 6022si 2 12" TC-2000's Sealed 1.0 cu per Only 140db w/music: work in progress
  • G Mo Fo Sho:

Some stuff 

3.) what guage wire should i use for connecting the speakers to the amp?

I use 10 gauge for my subwoofers and 16 gauge for the full range.

Pzaul 

Kenwood X491, Epic 150 HO Alternator, 1/0 Gauge Big 3 Sony XM-4S, Hifonics BXi 2006D Clarion SRR1027, Infinity Reference 6022si 2 12" TC-2000's Sealed 1.0 cu per Only 140db w/music: work in progress