Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2000 watt amp lights still dimming what to do?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2000 watt amp lights still dimming what to do?

This question is answered

I have a 2000 watt rockford fosgate amp in my car along with a 4x100 watt 4 channel rockfor fosgate amp for the component speakers. At high output my lights still dim. I have don the big 3 upgrade, I have a 225 amp alternator and a Kinetik 1400HC battery which I use as my on and only battery. I also have a 2 Farad capacitor that is3 feet from the sub amp. I installed the cap after my lights started dimming and it's made a huge difference but at very hig volume the lights still dim. I should mention that  the amp is gained to 1/2.

I've been told that I should get another battery and place it in close proximity to the amplifier along with the cap . My question is ... will this do any good?

Verified Answer
  • When purchasing a capacitor, the recommendation is to use 1 farad for each 500 watts of power.  By that math, you would want to use a 5-farad capacitor.  Since adding the 2 farad cap has made a huge difference, i would wait on the second battery and try adding one more.

Second batteries are mostly used as a power source when playing with the engine off.  When your engine is running, your alternator supplies 14 or so volts to your amps.  If your system draws more amperage than the alternator can produce, it has to draw from the battery which is only 12 or so volts.  That voltage drop is what makes your lights dim.  Adding a second battery would give you more reserve power, but the voltage will still drop whenever the alternator is overdrawn, and the lights will again dim.  Bear in mind that the 225amp rating on your alternator is not a constant.  Engine RPM affects how much power it can produce, so while idling it may only be outputting half of its maximum rating.  SPL competitors will often use a smaller diameter pulley on the alternator, an overdrive pulley, so it spins faster.  That may be something to consider, but it would likely shorten the life of your alternator.

Hope this is helpful.

All Replies
  • Holy cow! How loud do you play it?

Anyway...a second battery in parallel will certainly make a difference in current capacity...really...how loud do you play it?

[edited by: Alex W at 10:23 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, Oct 10 2009]

RESIma

• When purchasing a capacitor, the recommendation is to use 1 farad for each 500 watts of power.  By that math, you would want to use a 5-farad capacitor.  Since adding the 2 farad cap has made a huge difference, i would wait on the second battery and try adding one more.

Second batteries are mostly used as a power source when playing with the engine off.  When your engine is running, your alternator supplies 14 or so volts to your amps.  If your system draws more amperage than the alternator can produce, it has to draw from the battery which is only 12 or so volts.  That voltage drop is what makes your lights dim.  Adding a second battery would give you more reserve power, but the voltage will still drop whenever the alternator is overdrawn, and the lights will again dim.  Bear in mind that the 225amp rating on your alternator is not a constant.  Engine RPM affects how much power it can produce, so while idling it may only be outputting half of its maximum rating.  SPL competitors will often use a smaller diameter pulley on the alternator, an overdrive pulley, so it spins faster.  That may be something to consider, but it would likely shorten the life of your alternator.

Hope this is helpful.