Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2 or 4 channel amp to power HCCA 10d dual 2-ohm voice coil sub?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2 or 4 channel amp to power HCCA 10d dual 2-ohm voice coil sub?

This question is answered

Let me start by saying I am a total idiot when it comes to car audio....I need all the experts here to point me in the right direction and answer a couple of questions.

I am installing a system in my boat.  I am using an Orion HCCA 10d sub in a 1.5 cu. foot ported box.  I have a Marine grade MBQuart 2/4 channel amp (NAU460) that I would like to use, if possible.  I also have a Kicker ZX460 amp that I can use if I need it.  I have a couple of questions:

#1 Will either of these amps be enough to push this single 10" sub?

#2 Is it possible to use both amps to power this single sub?

#2 How do I wire the amp(s) to get the most out of this sub? 

I really appreciate everyone's help with this....thanks a million!

Verified Answer
  • Before getting to your questions, do you have the 2ohm or 4ohm version? Is it a DVC sub?

Jdub1977

The simple answer is no. (I typically don't recommend this, but if you have the DVC 4ohm version of the sub, you can wire each voice coil on a separate channel of the MB Quart amp for 180W RMS per voice coil, or 360W RMS total. Similarly, if you have the DVC 2ohm version, you can wire each voice coil on a separate channel of the Kicker amp for similar results. 360W is about 72% of the sub's rating, which is still on the lower end, but not horrible.) On top of not being powerful enough, those amps are both 4ch and meant for full-range speakers, not subs.

Jdub1977

It may be possible, but it is STRONGLY recommend that you do not do so.  I use the term "may" very, very loosely. You only need a 1channel amp to properly run a sub. Two is doable but usually not recommended. Four channels on one sub just won't work (aside from very specific applications and equipment.)

Jdub1977

#2 (again?) How do I wire the amp(s) to get the most out of this sub? 

This all depends on the impedance (2 or 4ohms) of the sub. Given your current equipment, you can wire them as I stated in #2.

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • Before getting to your questions, do you have the 2ohm or 4ohm version? Is it a DVC sub?

Jdub1977

The simple answer is no. (I typically don't recommend this, but if you have the DVC 4ohm version of the sub, you can wire each voice coil on a separate channel of the MB Quart amp for 180W RMS per voice coil, or 360W RMS total. Similarly, if you have the DVC 2ohm version, you can wire each voice coil on a separate channel of the Kicker amp for similar results. 360W is about 72% of the sub's rating, which is still on the lower end, but not horrible.) On top of not being powerful enough, those amps are both 4ch and meant for full-range speakers, not subs.

Jdub1977

It may be possible, but it is STRONGLY recommend that you do not do so.  I use the term "may" very, very loosely. You only need a 1channel amp to properly run a sub. Two is doable but usually not recommended. Four channels on one sub just won't work (aside from very specific applications and equipment.)

Jdub1977

#2 (again?) How do I wire the amp(s) to get the most out of this sub? 

This all depends on the impedance (2 or 4ohms) of the sub. Given your current equipment, you can wire them as I stated in #2.

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• Thanks for the reply Ninja!  This is a DVC sub....I believe it is the 2-ohm version.   What amp would you reccomend for this sub?  Keep in mind I need marine grade and looking to spend as little as possible.  I appreciate it!

• Ninja1283
    Four channels on one sub just won't work (aside from very specific applications and equipment.)

4-channel amps can be bridged to two channels if the sub is DVC-4-ohm as Ninja1283 stated above, but it still would not be ideal if you had another option.

From Ninja's calculations, you have a 500W RMS sub, and if it is DVC-2-ohm, you want an amp that is either 500W at 4-ohms (likely a bridged 2-channel amp), or 500W@1-ohm (a specialty mono amp).

If you have an HCCA 10.2, though, it is a 1500W sub, and you are looking for an amp that is 1500W RMS at 1-ohm like a Hifonics BXI-1610 or Sundown SAZ-1500D.

I don't see any marine grade amps at CF that are suitable, but you might be able to use an automotive amp in a watertight enclosure, or a specialty shop might be able to help.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli

From Ninja's calculations, you have a 500W RMS sub, and if it is DVC-2-ohm, you want an amp that is either 500W at 4-ohms (likely a bridged 2-channel amp), or 500W@1-ohm (a specialty mono amp).

If you have an HCCA 10.2, though, it is a 1500W sub, and you are looking for an amp that is 1500W RMS at 1-ohm like a Hifonics BXI-1610 or Sundown SAZ-1500D.

Correct. The HCCA 10.2 / 10.4 are 1500W subs, but the HP 10D2 / 10D4 are 500W subs. I wasn't exactly sure which the OP had, so I gave recommendations for the 500W, with expectations of corrections if otherwise.

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• Just following up...

I hooked up the sub to the MB Quart amp and it rocks!  It is much louder than I expected.  The paperwork with the sub says it can handle 1200W RMS but, I am not even giving it 1/3 of that.  I didn't expect a single 10" to produce that much bass.  Thanks for your help guys!

• If it is DVC-2-ohm like you said, you could run it off one pair of bridged channels with the MB Quart, but the MB Quart is not 2-ohm stable bridged for running one coil off each pair of bridged channels.  You could overheat and burn up the amp.

The Kicker amp is an exception in that it is stable at 2-ohms bridged.

The Kicker is what you should be running with that sub, unless you don't care about the MB Quart amp and figure you'll use it til it burns up and then switch to the Kicker.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs