Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

4 6x9 speakers, 1 sub, 4/3/2 channel amp. Best wire setup

This question is answered

Im very new to this!!  I need all the help i can get lol

Here is my equipment:

JBL: GTO-4000 Amplifier

4 x Alpine SXE-6925S - 6"x9" Speakers

GTO-1204BP 12" 1200W Subwoofer

What would be the best way to wire this up safley WITHOUT a new amp.

All answers are welcome and diagrams EVEN BETTER!!

Verified Answer
  • Now hold on just a minute GLH!

Although purchasing a dedicated amp for the sub would be the best solution, the OP specifically asked for solutions that wouldn't require a new amp, and your answer really doesn't address his (her?) question.

Like both GLH and I stated, although a dedicated amp for your sub would be the ideal solution (a 2ch bridged to 1x300W RMS @ 4ohms would work perfectly), you do have other options. Your best bet using your current equipment, would be to run the rear 6x9s off the HU, the fronts off channels 1-2 of the 4ch JBL, and the sub off channels 3-4 bridged. Granted, you will only get 150W RMS bridged at 4ohms to your sub, which is only 50% of it's power rating, but it will be better than nothing!

Just keep in mind that you will be severely underpowering your sub, so adjust your amp gains accordingly. If you try to crank up the gains to make up for the lost power, you may end up blowing your sub.

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 6:45 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Nov 14 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • You need a mono amp for the sub. Anything else, such as wiring 6x9's together on same channel is rediculous, and a good way to burn up the amp.

GLH Geeked

• Now hold on just a minute GLH!

Although purchasing a dedicated amp for the sub would be the best solution, the OP specifically asked for solutions that wouldn't require a new amp, and your answer really doesn't address his (her?) question.

Like both GLH and I stated, although a dedicated amp for your sub would be the ideal solution (a 2ch bridged to 1x300W RMS @ 4ohms would work perfectly), you do have other options. Your best bet using your current equipment, would be to run the rear 6x9s off the HU, the fronts off channels 1-2 of the 4ch JBL, and the sub off channels 3-4 bridged. Granted, you will only get 150W RMS bridged at 4ohms to your sub, which is only 50% of it's power rating, but it will be better than nothing!

Just keep in mind that you will be severely underpowering your sub, so adjust your amp gains accordingly. If you try to crank up the gains to make up for the lost power, you may end up blowing your sub.

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 6:45 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Nov 14 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• I was thinking wire the sub to 2 channels and a pair of 6x9's to the other 2 channels and wireing the front two 6x9's into the head unit but how would i do that because i font want to get rid of any of the "standard speakers" you could call them. Where would i run the speakers and the cables to?

p.s thanks for the quick reply!!

• Sorry, forgot about wiring from the headunit.

I would get a different pair of speakers for the headunit and use the JBL's for the fronts. Those JBL's will be just as seriously underpowered as the sub.

Actually, you will never know the rears are there unless you find some 6x9's with very high sensitivity and possible under 4 ohms impedance.

Thanks Ninja.

GLH Geeked

• ok i think im just going to leave a pair of 6x9's out for time being as i dont have a huge amount of money to do this. My current car audio is completly standard and to star with i was going to upgrade the front speakers to these.

<Mod Edit: Per our linking policies, please link to the manufacturer or to the Crutchfield site whenever possible. thanks.>

Is this possible and also my car door has the grill for a tweeter but to tweeter installed but it DOES have a cable just behind the tweeter grill but it has a large block style connection on the end like the ones you use to connect the head unit to car. Its a light grey colour. Is this right and how will i connect this to my tweeters??

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 8:19 PM (GMT -5) on Sat, Nov 14 2009] Removed original link: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/506.html
  • sorry correction i currently have NO!!! tweeters installed