Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2007 gmc sierra NBS sub/amp install while keeping factory head unit

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2007 gmc sierra NBS sub/amp install while keeping factory head unit

This question is answered

hello all, i'm relatively new to car stereo install but i'm going to install a sub/amp system in my crew cab. i have a kicker zx300 coupled  with a kicker cvt 10" slim. my question is:  to keep my factory head unit do i need to install a line converter such as the pac aeom gm1416 or pac aeom gm24 to ensure it works properly? are they even compatible with my stock, non bose sound system? if not wut should i use? any advice is much appreciated, thanks

Verified Answer
  • You shouldn't need either of the PAC adapters.

Forget about the Molex plug, Kicker used one on the 06ZX300.1, but the 08ZX300.1 uses the RCA inputs and a switch.  You will need this adapter (preferred, but DO NOT connect both the front and rear speaker lines to it) or the LOC that I linked to previously - and you can tap into the lines either behind the head unit or near the rear speakers as GLH said.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • I'm assuming what you posted are interface adapters and not line converters.

Do you have OnStar?

Your amp supports high-level inputs, so if you still have the Molex plug for it, you can tap into your rear speaker lines, if not you need to install a LOC.

It's a bit more work, but you might want to tap both your front and rear speakers into the LOC and then run both outputs to your sub with an RCA Y-Adapter.  This way the fader shouldn't affect the sub's volume.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• i'm not quite sure wut a molex is but here are the links to the items i was talking about. thanks for the help  <Mod Edit: Removed competitor link, Per our linking policies, please link to the manufacturer or to the Crutchfield site whenever possible. thanks. >   since my amp does support high level inputs, could i just tap into the rear speaker lines from behind the head unit?

[edited by: TigerHeli at 7:29 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, Nov 25 2009] http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaoemgm24.html, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19628_PAC+AOEM-GM1416.html?gclid=CJ3wr-2XpZ4CFRhfagodEQhWlQ
  • You can tap into the rear speaker wires at the headunit or probably easier close to the rear speakers.

GLH Geeked

• You shouldn't need either of the PAC adapters.

Forget about the Molex plug, Kicker used one on the 06ZX300.1, but the 08ZX300.1 uses the RCA inputs and a switch.  You will need this adapter (preferred, but DO NOT connect both the front and rear speaker lines to it) or the LOC that I linked to previously - and you can tap into the lines either behind the head unit or near the rear speakers as GLH said.

Hope This Helps!!!