Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

best way to wire amp and subs????

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

best way to wire amp and subs????

This question is answered

ok so i have 2 of the pioneer premier championship series 12 inch subwoofers with 2 ohm dvc's on each subwoofer.   My amp is a SPL gorilla series 1800watt... its 4 ohm stable 2ohm and bridgeable stable at 4 ohms.   My question is ... what would be the best way to wire the subs to the amp... i understand how to wire it up for a 2ohm load but it only does that with 2 wires on final wiring into amp..   the bridgeable on this amp is only stable for 4ohms when its bridged but i can get the same power using 2 ohm on both terminals with 4 wires vs. 2 wires bridged...   also its a 2 chan. mosfet amp

question is if its stabe at 2 ohm on all 4  terminals wouldn't it be stable at 2 ohms bridged? its the same power output but i just don't wanna blow up or overheat or fry anything

[edited by: mikeylove588 at 1:08 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Feb 17 2010]
Verified Answer
  •  

Could you post model numbers or RMS specs?

The amp is a two-channel amp, not 4-channel, correct (you said 4 terminals, so I'm not sure).

Basically, your options are wiring it bridged at 8-ohms or stereo at 4-ohms.  Either way should work fine (and provide about the same power), but you will get about 1/2 to 2/3's the power out of it that you would with DVC-4-ohm subs.  (A mono 2-ohm stable amp would be preferred with those subs).

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-ohm_2ch.jpg

Two 2 ohm DVC Speakers = 8 ohm load

mikeylove588
    question is if its stabe at 2 ohm on all 4  terminals wouldn't it be stable at 2 ohms bridged?

No - pretty common for an amp to be say 150Wx2@4-ohms, 300Wx2@2-ohms, 600Wx1@4-ohms bridged.  It is unlikely to be stable at 2-ohms bridged, unless it was stable at 1-ohm stereo.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  •  

Could you post model numbers or RMS specs?

The amp is a two-channel amp, not 4-channel, correct (you said 4 terminals, so I'm not sure).

Basically, your options are wiring it bridged at 8-ohms or stereo at 4-ohms.  Either way should work fine (and provide about the same power), but you will get about 1/2 to 2/3's the power out of it that you would with DVC-4-ohm subs.  (A mono 2-ohm stable amp would be preferred with those subs).

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-ohm_2ch.jpg

Two 2 ohm DVC Speakers = 8 ohm load

mikeylove588
    question is if its stabe at 2 ohm on all 4  terminals wouldn't it be stable at 2 ohms bridged?

No - pretty common for an amp to be say 150Wx2@4-ohms, 300Wx2@2-ohms, 600Wx1@4-ohms bridged.  It is unlikely to be stable at 2-ohms bridged, unless it was stable at 1-ohm stereo.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• well turns out the amp isn't even anywhere near strong enough for the subs... and second i bought a wiring kit ran it and hook'd up everything and the power wire seems to be bad as i have not seen the first spark when messing with it and the amp won't even power on... test'd it on another car power'd up fine... so i'm prolly going to sell the amp and get another as u said a class d mono block because i need 2000watts RMS to run -these two 12's.... what u told me helped but not too much answered my question and i said 4 terminals.... 2 subs 1+ 1- for each one ;) 4 terminals ... but yes its a 2 channel anyways i appreciate the help thanks!!!!

• Sounds like you probably blew a power fuse.

The subs are 1000W RMS each?

They are out there (Kicker ZX2500.1 comes to mind), but you are going to have a hard time finding an amp that is a true 2000Wx1 RMS@2-ohms.  You might do better with something like two Hifonics BXI-1210's - one for each sub.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?