Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

manual for phoenix gold zx 500

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

manual for phoenix gold zx 500

This question is answered

I need a wiring diagram/manual for a zx 500. I have two subs and i want to figure out the best way to wire them with this amp, not sure how much the amp will take. i know the mps series would drop lower than 1 ohm with no problem but I really don't know on the zx series. Phoenix gold always underrated there amps back then.

thanks in advance

Verified Answer
  • The manual can be found at  http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manuals/Amplifiers/ZX/zx2chann.pdf

That amp is a high quality piece of old school gear. Run bridged into 2 ohms  it will match well with the SS subs. Start tuning with the gain low and go from there.

Smile

[edited by: finbar at 8:53 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Feb 8 2011]
All Replies
  • Can't find a manual, but it won't help you much anyways.

http://ampguts.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1346

Phoenix Gold ZX500 
    2 x 75W @ 4 ohms (12V)
    2 x 150W @ 4 ohms (13.8V)
    2 x 300W @ 2 ohms (13.8V)
    1 x 600W @ 4 ohms bridge (13.8V)
    Manufactured in 1996-1999

Credits: Dr. Fosgate from www.SoundBuggy.com forum

Those should be the same specs that are in the manual.  As far as what the amp will do beyond that - you probably need to look for posts on other forums by people that have run them.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• thanks for the reply. I do appreciate the response

I actually have all of that information I found it on phoenix golds web site. What I couldn't find was a manual. I can find a lot of other amps manuals on pdf form i was hoping to locate the zx 500.

where it stands I think I will run in bridged 4ohm. I was curious if this amp could handle running the subs in series rather than parallel from that point.

As I said I know the mps series could just not sure on the zx I ran my mps 2240 in bridged mode with 3  4 ohm subs in series and had no issues. Ran hot but with fans never had problems

• Don't know what subs you have, but I think you have your terms swapped or confused.

The published specs say the amp is 600W bridged at 4-ohms.

If you have SVC-4-ohm subs, you MIGHT be able to run them in parallel for 2-ohms at the amp, but it is not supported.  You definitely could run them in series at 8-ohms, but unless they are 150W RMS subs, there isn't a good reason to run them in series if the amp handles them in parallel.

I could see wanting to have it, but I don't see that the manual will help you.  No company will EVER tell you - "The amp is rated for 600W RMS at 4-ohms bridged, but you could probably run it at 750W RMS at 2-ohms bridged if you don't let it get too hot ...." - although that might well be true.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• ok I feel like an idiot. I had it backwards. I knew the wiring but had a bit of a brain fart on the term. just been a long while since I put a system together.

The manual would be nice to have with the amp, i have all of the other owners manuals on my  equipment. Good reference material.

The subs are ss10r soundstreams. 4 ohm  which brings up the next possible issue.  these subs are rated at 300watts.   pushing 600 or possibly 750 like you brought up I wonder if they can handle it. I apologize for all the newbie questions but I will use old age and lose of memory as my excuse

• rrob69ewf
    The subs are ss10r soundstreams. 4 ohm  which brings up the next possible issue.  these subs are rated at 300watts.   pushing 600 or possibly 750 like you brought up I wonder if they can handle it.

You have too many unknowns here.

Kicker subs are rated for 400W and likely handle around 500-550 - their amps do the same thing.  A thread yesterday discussed a Performance Teknique amp that was rated for 600W and likely did around 200W RMS.

OTOH - you could take Kicker subs that were rated for 400W and hook a 2500W RMS amp up to them and be fine (you just couldn't turn the volume up loud).

That's beside the point, but what I am getting at:

• Soundstream has a great reputation, but whether the subs really handle 300W RMS or closer to 400W RMS (each, I assume) is unknown.
    • I've read mixed review of PG, but you said they are under-rated, so it should do at least 600W RMS at 4-ohms.  It might not even be stable at 2-ohms bridged - no telling what it puts out.

When in doubt, your safest bet is to wire the subs in series at 8-ohms.  You won't hurt the amp and you won't hurt the subs as long as you don't go wild on the gain and send them a clipped signal.  If you think the subs can handle more (and you probably will want to), turn down the gain, re-wire them in parallel at 2-ohms and carefully increase the gain and see what they do.

Hope This Helps!!!

• The manual can be found at  http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manuals/Amplifiers/ZX/zx2chann.pdf

That amp is a high quality piece of old school gear. Run bridged into 2 ohms  it will match well with the SS subs. Start tuning with the gain low and go from there.

Smile

[edited by: finbar at 8:53 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Feb 8 2011]
  • Amp is shown as 600W RMS (current-limited) at 2-ohms bridged.

That was useful info!!!

Thanks finbar!!!

• Thank you very much. This is the info I was looking for. And I agree these amp kick *** even if they are old. The subs have been in my closet for a long time as well as the zx 450 I,m running. I have all the manuals for the rest. Bought the zx 500 used no box or info.

Again.... Thank you, I looked all over for this and couldn't find it.

FINBAR IS THE MAN