Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

What kind of car audio amplifier(s) do i need for 2 subs and 4 speakers?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

What kind of car audio amplifier(s) do i need for 2 subs and 4 speakers?

• I'm looking to get a brand new audio setup in my car. I don't think my head unit (JVC KW-NT30HD) will be powerful enough to power my speakers. So i think i will need to get 2 amps unless there is one out there that can handle 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers.

The 2 subs Ill be using:

Rocksford FosgateT0D410 :

Dual Coil
    10" subwoofer with with selectable 2- or 8-ohm impedance
    Kevlar® reinforced paper cone with aluminum dust cap
    power range: 150-550 watts RMS (1100 watts peak power)
    frequency response: 25-500 Hz
    sensitivity: 81.2 dB

And ill be using 4 of these speakers:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683

3-way 6"x8" speakers
    power range: 6-65 watts RMS (130 watts peak power)
    frequency response: 65-24,000 Hz
    sensitivity: 90 dB

The Head Unit will be a JVC KW-NT30HD

Willing to spend what ever it takes to get a nice sound system. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I dont know too much about setting them up, im sure its not too hard, if you could actually suggest a certain product that would be awesome! TY

[edited by: Ryan at 5:17 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Aug 25 2011]
  • If you don't have the subs yet, you would do better with DVC-2-ohm subs (rather than the DVC-4-ohm subs you have selected).

You could actually get away with a single 5-channel amp - like a ZX700.5 - but the subs could use a bit more power (again if they were DVC-2-ohm).

Ideally:

• Main amp - Sound Ordnance M-4075 or other 50-75W RMS x 4 amp.
    • Sub amp - for the DVC-4-ohm subs - JVC KS-AR7501D or Hifonics BRZ1200.1D - wire the subs to 1-ohm.
    • If you went with DVC-2-ohm subs - the Hifonics amp would still be okay or go with the Alpine MRP-M1000 or similar.

(Actually, the DVC-4-ohm subs are fine if you are comfortable running the amp at 1-ohm).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for your input, i think i will be switching to the other subs! Everything looks good. just have one last question. Do i need both of these for the 4 chan amp speaker install?:

-StreetWires ZeroNoise 5 ZN5K-08

-StreetWires Zero Noise 5 Stereo Patch Cables

• Okay - it's going to get a bit complicated here ...

rkercado
    i think i will be switching to the other subs!

Actually - I'm not sure I would.  There are more 2-ohm stable subwoofer amps out there, but you can get a more powerful subwoofer amp for less money if you run at 1-ohm.

(I know it contradicts my earlier advice, but I'd probably go with the DVC-4-ohm subs personally).

rkercado
    Do i need both of these for the 4 chan amp speaker install?:

Okay - now it gets a bit complicated ....

First the RCA's - you will need two pairs of RCA cables for the 4-channel amp and one pair of RCA's for the subwoofer amp.  Streetwires makes a good product but they are expensive and you might not have a noise issue with standard (no-name) RCA's.

For the power wires (same comments about brand and price), the M-4075 uses 60A of fuses and the Hifonics uses 140A - so you either need:

• A decent 8-gauge kit for the 4-channel amp and a decent 4-guage for the subwoofer amp, or ...
    • A multi-amp kit with 2-gauge or 0-gauge at the battery, and then a fused D-block with 4-gauge to the Hifonics and 8-gauge to the subwoofer.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• If your head has 6 way RCA outputs -

for the 4 ch amp -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211ZN5435/StreetWires-Zero-Noise-5-4-channel-Patch-Cables-11-5-feet.html?search=rca+cables&nvpair=FFBrand%7cStreetwires

for the sub amp -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211ZN5235/StreetWires-Zero-Noise-5-Stereo-Patch-Cables-11-5-foot.html?search=rca+cables&nvpair=FFBrand%7cStreetwires

GLH Geeked

• Alright thanks a bunch guys, ill post another comment when i get it all setup!

• To clarify - I'm not seeing exactly what I would recommend from Crutchfield outside of the amp wiring kits.

I probably wouldn't quite go with the $9 EFX cables (although they would probably work), but I'd look for something with twisted pair below the $30 ZN 5 cables.

Hope This Helps!!!

• The ZN 3's are good also. I use the middle of the road 5's and have great results.

GLH Geeked

• Without getting into trouble with the forum admins, I would look at the Streetwires ZN1's, Scosche E2, Stinger PRO2, etc.

Hope This Helps!!!