Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

New head unit and amp install

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

New head unit and amp install

• I have a Pioneer DEH-P77DH head unit and a Kenwood KAC-8403 amp to install. I have a wiring harness to connect to the factory harness of the head unit harness to the Pioneer unit.From the amp side of this setup can I just tap into the speaker wire of the new harness running from the Pioneer head unit back to the amp and install RCA patch cables to do this hook up or is there some other way that I should do this.Since all the wires are running from one harness to the other would the speakers not be controlled like they were with the orginal head unit.

Thank you,

BruceE

• What you want to do is leave the speaker wires coming out of the new deck unhooked (tape them off to be safe). Then run RCA cables from the RCA outs back to your amp. Then new speaker wires from the amp back to your speakers. Don't try to re-use any of the factory speaker wire unless you absolutely have to. Take new wire all the way to each speaker.

• I have the following equipment to hook up.

Pioneer DEH-P77DH head unit

Kenwood KAC-8403 amp

When hooking up the speakers to this set up should I tap into the origial speaker wire or should I hook up to the speaker wire coming from the new harness and cut off the orginal speaker wire. I have everything ready to hook up but I am not sure how to hook up the speakers.

Thanks,

BruceE

• Well, if your using an amplifier to power the speakers, you don't want to use the factory wiring harness. You will have to run wire going from your amp to your speakers. If you are going to use the head unit to power then speakers, then you can either get an adapter from CF so you can just plug in the new speakers, or you cut the plug off the speaker end of things and crimp a connector on...
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit Rockford Fosgate 550X amplifier Sundown Audio SAE-1000D Temp - Kicker Solo Baric L5 Temp - Kenwood Coaxials Soon - Fi Q 18, Hertz HSK 165, 120sq.ft. of Damplifier and Overkill
  • My friend runs his wire from the amp to the factory wire adapter(where you would connect the HU speaker wires). It seems to work fine. His car sounds great. Does it cause damage?
    1999 Dodge RamVan Sony CDX-GT705DX JBL GTO755.6 4 JBL GTO937 1 JBL GTO1504D 1.2 fared Tsunami capacitor
  • mr jerry:
    Does it cause damage?

No - up to 50-60W RMS it really can work either way.  The factory wiring is often fairly small gauge (thin) but speaker wire gauge is also pretty over-rated, so unless you are running 100W/channel, you can usually get away with the factory wiring.

OTOH, by the time he ran the wire from the amp to the HU and then the factory wire out to the speakers, he is running a longer wire run with more disconnects than just running straight to the speakers.  OTOOH (the other other hand), he hasn't touched the factory wiring, so if he sells the car he can just plug the factory HU back up and be good to go. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I don't really understand what you want to do... You want to use the factory speaker wire as an input to your amp, or as part of the output, going to the speakers?
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit Rockford Fosgate 550X amplifier Sundown Audio SAE-1000D Temp - Kicker Solo Baric L5 Temp - Kenwood Coaxials Soon - Fi Q 18, Hertz HSK 165, 120sq.ft. of Damplifier and Overkill
  • Not sure if you're asking me or Bruce. The setup I described would be using the factory wire as part of the output.
    1999 Dodge RamVan Sony CDX-GT705DX JBL GTO755.6 4 JBL GTO937 1 JBL GTO1504D 1.2 fared Tsunami capacitor
  • I understand what you meant Jerry, and thats fine, as TigerHeli stated. I'm confused on what Bruce means...
  • To avoid confusion, let me try to cover all the bases for Bruce.

Your Pioneer HU has three sets of pre-amp outputs. The Kenwood amp is 4-channel 60Wx4.

I'm assuming you are hooking up four main speakers to this, but if that is not the case, that may be the cause of the confusion.

I am assuming you understand that you will need power, ground, and a remote turn-on wire to the amp. 

You want to use RCA patch cables from the front and the rear RCA outputs on the HU to the RCA inputs on the amp.

You want to disconnect the speaker wires from the Pioneer wire harness from the HU and cap them off so they cannot short out anywhere.

You have three options for wiring the speakers to the amp:

• Run new speaker wire from the amp to each speaker.  (This is the most work, but preferred b/c you will be running larger wire, and a single wire run from the amp to each speaker, and you won't be tapping into/cutting/splicing into the factory wiring).
    • Run new speaker wire from the amp to the end of the HU wire harness that leads to the speakers.  (This may be more convenient, and allows you to connect the amp without cutting the factory wiring (for a lease vehicle, for example), and makes it easy to remove the amp and put the factory radio back in later, but also makes a longer wire run with more connections in the circuit).
    • Run new speaker wire to the kick panels  where the factory wire goes to the door speakers, cut the factory wire here and splice into the factory wires on the end that goes to the speakers.  This is a toss-up between the two methods above.  You have generally the shortest and easiest wire run and are running larger gauge wire for most of the run while avoiding the sometimes difficult job of running new wire through the door jambs.  OTOH, you are cutting the factory wiring harness and creating large "dead segments" of wire between the HU and your splice points (doesn't hurt anything, but looks sloppy and a pain for troubleshooting.  You also need to be very careful that you are actually cutting the speaker wire and not the power locks or power window wire or worse.)

I've known people to use any of the three methods and any of them can work.

Hope This Helps!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Moderator Note: Two threads were merged by Tiger-Heli, so the thread my be a bit confusing to follow.