Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Wiring 3 subs to a Mono Block

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Wiring 3 subs to a Mono Block

• ok so..I just bought 2 more ofthe Pioneer TS3001D4 12" subs and i was wondering how to run them in a seris on a zx1000.1 monoblock amp. Ive seen it done on a jl 1000.1 and it pounds 4 subs.

Thanks

• You're going to have a hard time with that, the subs are 1000W RMS each.

You can wire them like this:

But I believe the JL is 1000W RMS at 1.5 to 4 ohms.  The Kicker is 1000W at 2-ohms, 500W at 4-ohms, so likely around 800W (figure 1000W since they underrate them at 2.67-ohms, so you will only be giving 333W per sub or 1/3 of RMS and CF recommend 70%.

To do that right, you really want an amp that is around 3200W RMS at 2-ohms.  Some of the Hifonics XXV's would do it nicely, but they are going to be expensive, or you can amp each sub individually.

And you will want probably a HO alternator, Big 3 wiring (probably 0-gauge), a cap, and maybe dual or triple batteries. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• well i just measured and im only going to be putting 2 in...With the measurements i can go with 3 10" or 2 12" and im wondering if 2 of those will hit harder than 3 10" (lets say 300rms pioneers) on the same kicker zx1000.1 amp
  • Tiger,

Is there a picture floating around here that shows how to wire 2 DVC 4 ohm subs to a mono amp (4 ohm) but to drop it to 2 ohms?

2008 Scion xB Factory HU Factory Speakers Hifonics Bxi 1208D Running @ 1 ohm ^^LOVE IT!^^ 2 Kicker CompVR 07CVR104

• Hi chaterboxrt,

This is a question that actually comes up pretty often - and the answer really depends on what exactly you mean by "hit harder". The two 12" subs will (assuming same brand and line) hit lower notes than the 10" subs. However, the 10" subs will have a greater total cone area than two 12" subs. More cone area means more air movement - which means greater SPL.

Wiring up 3-subwoofers to a single mono subwoofer amplifier is a bit of a wiring nightmare. You can check out the wiring options here:

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams 

Ylicyotee you can also check out your wiring options at the above link.

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 1:17 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Apr 16 2008]

•  the only way that you can get a dvc 4 sub to wire that you wire  both dvc together  in stereo or you can buy an 4th one and wire them im series to have a 2ohm load

• Ylicyotee:
    Tiger,

Is there a picture floating around here that shows how to wire 2 DVC 4 ohm subs to a mono amp (4 ohm) but to drop it to 2 ohms?

Can't be done - two DVC-4-ohms can be either 4-ohms or 1-ohm mono, or 2-ohms stereo.

Two DVC-2-ohm subs can be 2-ohms mono or 1-ohm or 4-ohms stereo. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs