Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

amp blue remote wire hook up

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

amp blue remote wire hook up

• hello,

I have a question regarding where to hook up the blue remote wire from the amp. I installed some Kicker component speakers yesterday that I purchased from Crutchfield into a 2008 Nissan Frontier. I hooked them up to an MTX 2 channel amp and sounds great!  My only problem is I tried hooking the blue remote wire to different fuses but regardless of which one I hooked it up to the amp stays on. I thought it might be that the truck needs some time to shut down completely after turning the truck off but I left it for a while then came to check it and it is still on. Where should I connect the blue wire so that the amp only turns on when I turn the truck on? I tried connecting to the ignition fuse and it still stays on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-Oscar

• it should attach to the blue and white wire coming from the back of the head unit.
  • Forgot to mention, I have a factory stereo and generally they dont have that easy of wiring configurations. I am aware of the blue and white wire on aftermarket stereos.
  • you can always add a switch to the remote turn on wire. just go the radio shack and get a cheap switch and mount it in your car.
  • interesting. so I would basically cut the wire and plug one end to one end of the switch and the same to the other and I could turn it off and on? that would be a good idea
  • It's a great idea (in addition to finding the correct switched wire).

Trust me - I did the same thing with my car stereo (so I can listen to it without the key in the car) and you WILL forget to turn the switch off and kill your battery.

CF doesn't have info (that I can get) on the 2008, but here's the info on the 2007.

The switched wire should be the Green/Black wire going into the radio.

If you don't want to trace that all the way back, just get a DMM or at least a test light and find a fuse that is only hot with the ignition on.

(It is possible, but a bit unlikely, that Nissan went to all databus wiring and there are no switched fuses at the fusebox, but I doubt it).

HTH!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for the info. What I was referring to was could I run the blue remote wire from the fuse box that is going to the amp and split it with a on/off switch and control it that way? Seems logical. I have been looking around at different switches but they involve hooking up other wires that I am not familiar with of comfortable working with. I will continue to look but I was hoping for a switch that only required me to connect the blue wire. Thanks again for the helpful info.

-Oscar 

• I'm not following your reply.

You want the amp connected to an ignition-only fuse.  Otherwise, you will forget to turn the amp off and drain the battery.

Once you have found the fuse, you can run wire from it to one side of a toggle (or rocker, or non-momentary pushbutton) switch and the blue remote wire to the other side of the switch so you can turn the amp off when the engine is on and you don't want to hear it.

Most standard switches only have two legs, or a third leg for a ground wire if the switch is illuminated.

Check any auto parts store.

What switches were you looking at? 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I found some on-line that I think will work just fine. They have two prongs. I will connect one end to the ignition and the other to the remote input on the amp. Thanks for the help!

-Oscar 

• Yeah I just got an illuminated switch for my car and it has 3 legs. It has power, accessories, and ground. I have it hooked up with the amp wire to the power and the ground to ground of course but what wire do I use for accessory to make it light up?

• With most illuminated switches, power is 12V into the switch, Accessories is the output wire to the amp, and Ground is optional if you want the switch to light up.

You might want to verify that is how it works with a 9V battery and a DMM before wiring it to the car if it didn't come with a schematic.

HTH!