Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

wiring 4 channel amp to door speakers

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

wiring 4 channel amp to door speakers

• I drive an 06 Rav4 and the sound quality is dismal...

I am thinking about getting 4 polk db651s speakers and a 4 channel amp (along with subs and another sub amp, but I understand the wiring for this). I want to keep everything capable of being reverted back to OEM as much as possible and where I live excludes a new head for security reasons, how would I go about wiring this from the stock head? 

This is what I am thinking but I'm not sure if its the best way: 

split the speaker wiring and level convert => RCA  => amp

run wires back to the factory harness where speaker out is?

I don't plan on replacing speaker wire, I typically do not listen to music super loud, it is more important for GOOD sound, at least as best the stock head can provide.

Thanks 

• You can do speaker wire from head unit to LOC to RCA to Amp to speaker wire to speakers, or if your amp supports speaker level inputs, you can dump the LOC and just run speaker wire from head unit to amp input and amp outputs to speakers.

You also could look into a signal processor such as the CleanSweep or 3Sixty, but I would try without one first.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• i didnt understand what exactly you were trying to say on your answer.  This is what i think i am understanding.  Factory HU speaker outs go to the amp then from the amp back to where the factory speaker wiring was going out to the speakers. Therefore using the factory speaker wiring to amplify the the speakers.  I hope this not even more confusing.

• You essentially got it ....

apt323:
    Factory HU speaker outs go to the amp

Yes, either directly or through a LOC if the amp only supports RCA inputs.

then from the amp back to where the factory speaker wiring was going out to the speakers.

Correct.

Therefore using the factory speaker wiring to amplify the the speakers.

Well, using the amplifier to amplify the speakers, but using the factory speaker wiring as part of the output wires from the amp.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• wonderful thank you for the confirmation ..... is there any potential problem with the factory wiring handling the power? How would you determine which are the correct wires to tap into? Is there a place to find that kind of information? I am in the learning stage, have replaced quite a few speakers lately in multiple cars and have also installed a sub and a amp in my girlfriends car! i am almost addicted to upgrading car audio!

• I'm assuming apt323 = Sailorbob?

apt323:
    is there any potential problem with the factory wiring handling the power?

Not really - it depends on the thickness of the factory wires of course, but I've read not up to 60W, and I doubt it makes much difference up to 100W (per channel, RMS).  Perfectionist installers will run new wire, and of course then you know it's done right, but you really don't have to.

How would you determine which are the correct wires to tap into? Is there a place to find that kind of information?

Check CF's wiring info!

Also, I forgot to mention two things:

• Personally, I still really recommend replacing the stock HU - If you do that (through CF), you get a wiring harness that plugs in to the factory wiring and is color-coded to the factory wiring.  (If you don't want to replace the HU, but don't want to cut the wiring, some sites sell reverse harnesses (that plug into the radio), so your run the reverse harness to the amp input and the amp output to the CF harness and you don't have to mess with the vehicle wiring.
    • If there is a factory amp involved, you want to splice into the wiring AFTER that to connect your new amp.
    Hope This Helps!!!

• Hello Tiger. I just purchased a 4 ch amp kit that includes 60 ft of 16 gauge sp wire. I came across this post and am interested in using my existing sp wire rather than running all new wire (especially through the front doors). I am very confused though about the wording in this post about how to do so. I got a factory radio and plan to keep it for security as well and I can use a 4 ch LOC, which I already have. Can you give a little guidance as to how I would wire the existing factory sp wire from the amp to my speakers? BTW, the amp is rated 80w x 4 rms. Thank you!
  • rocgalant:
    Can you give a little guidance as to how I would wire the existing factory sp wire from the amp to my speakers?

This wiring info is for a 2007 Galant, and might not be correct for your 2009.

Essentially, you just trace the speaker wire back to a convenient point, cut the wiring, cap off the head unit side of the wiring and extend the speaker side of the wiring back to the amp using splice connectors (or solder) and new wiring.

Note that if this is a leased vehicle, there might be lease restrictions on this.

Hope This Helps!!!

• That's perfect! Thank you Tiger.