Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How to wire 6 speakers to 4 channel head?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How to wire 6 speakers to 4 channel head?

• I have a Pioneer 50w x 4 + sub pre out/amp. in my project s10 Blazer. 6 x 9's at back seat and 4 x 6 in dash. I want to add 6 1/2" in door panels. I am not a power freak but just want better sound. How do I wire these up without buying an amp? Thanks for any advice.

zzzst

• Here is a link to the specs on my head unit. It is a pioneer DEH-P3000IB.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/DEH-P3000IB 

I could just omit the dash speakers, they are new Sony's that I just upgraded or add an amp of course. Any help?

• you could amp them separetly, but then they may over power the other speakers.  

An equalizer/crossover of some sort could also do the trick (send slightly higher frequency to the smaller 4x6s)

just watch out on wiring 2 speakers to one channel, many HUs cant handle running at 2Ohms, though i cant speak to yours directly. Even if yours can, i would advise against this.  running at half the impedance, the speakers will get twice the wattage, and over power the other 2 speakers.

depending on what you are willing to pay, 2 amps may be the way to go.  pick up a 4chan and a 2 chan that is reasonably close to your speakers rms rating.

on a side note, you could get two 4 channel amps, and bridge 2 of the channels to power a sub.  

• Thanks. I thought the most I would have to do is add one 4 channel amp to power the extra set of speakers and a sub. Can't the HU power 4 channels separately?

• sharpshooter:
    just watch out on wiring 2 speakers to one channel, many HUs cant handle running at 2Ohms, though i cant speak to yours directly. Even if yours can, i would advise against this.  running at half the impedance, the speakers will get twice the wattage, and over power the other 2 speakers.

I agree about not running two speakers off one HU channel, but the rest of the comment is incorrect - the amp (in theory) puts out twice the wattage, but that splits between the two speakers - so the net effect is they see the same power (but you have two of them now) but the real-world effect is often that the amp puts out about 1.5x the 4-ohm power so it doesn't do quite as well.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• zzzst:
    Thanks. I thought the most I would have to do is add one 4 channel amp to power the extra set of speakers and a sub. Can't the HU power 4 channels separately?

Yes it can - and the amp could also power 2-speakers per channel if you didn't care about fader control between those speakers - see my comments above.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs