60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Replacing rear speakers on 1995 BMW 325i

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Replacing rear speakers on 1995 BMW 325i

This question is answered

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

After nearly 15 years, I need to replace the rear deck speakers in my 1995 BMW 325i because the rubber had deteriorated around the cones.  I am choosing Kicker 07DS400 4" 2-Way coaxial speakers primarily because they fit the existing stock enclosures in this car with minimal modifications (only need to drill new mounting holes). My quandary, I think, is a common one as  a search of various forums shows a number of a solutions, but none specific to this car and the existing stock audio system.  Basically I want to leave the stock tweeters in the rear deck enclosures (because they fill a hole) and simply replace the 4” woofer with the Kickers.  Now, should I leave the existing tweeters connected, disconnect them or run the wires previously connected to the stock tweeters to the new Kickers? I think the best thing to do is disconnect the old tweeters but I don’t know if I should just leave the tweeter wires hanging or should I also connect them to the Kickers.  I would guess the presence of an external crossover and where it is located would play a factor in this decision.  Any advice?

Verified Answer
  • Based on advice I have received elsewhere here is what I have discovered.  If I am going to continue using the factory original amplifier in the 325, then I need to leave the old tweeters connected or replace them also.  The factory amp in the 325 has the crossovers built-in so that the audio signal going to the rear deck speaks is already filtered.  If I disconnect the rear tweeters, I will lose the highs.  Connecting the tweeter wires to the Kickers will not work unless these speakers are bi-ampable, which they are not.  So basically I am stuck with either the old tweeters or lose the highs unless I decide to replace the amp or buy bi-ampable speakers.   I think I will just live with the old tweeters since after 15 years it is probably time for a new car anyway. There are probably a lot more important pieces of the car that are deteriorating than just speakers. It ends up being one of those "while you are at" cases.  While your at it you might as well replace the amplifier... While you are at it you might as well replace the head unit...  While you are at it you might as well replace the front speakers. BMW's proprietary components don't make it any easier either!

All Replies
  • Hhmmm... my Beamer has 10" subs and 6.5" full range behind seats and 6.5" full range in the doors. Bose system.

Beer

GLH Geeked

• I would be careful about doing a direct replacement. Do you have the base stock audio system, or is it the upgraded one? (I don't remember the stats on the E36, but I know that my E46 Harman Kardon system tri-amps the drivers, and has all of the crossover networks built into the stock amp itself.)

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• Based on advice I have received elsewhere here is what I have discovered.  If I am going to continue using the factory original amplifier in the 325, then I need to leave the old tweeters connected or replace them also.  The factory amp in the 325 has the crossovers built-in so that the audio signal going to the rear deck speaks is already filtered.  If I disconnect the rear tweeters, I will lose the highs.  Connecting the tweeter wires to the Kickers will not work unless these speakers are bi-ampable, which they are not.  So basically I am stuck with either the old tweeters or lose the highs unless I decide to replace the amp or buy bi-ampable speakers.   I think I will just live with the old tweeters since after 15 years it is probably time for a new car anyway. There are probably a lot more important pieces of the car that are deteriorating than just speakers. It ends up being one of those "while you are at" cases.  While your at it you might as well replace the amplifier... While you are at it you might as well replace the head unit...  While you are at it you might as well replace the front speakers. BMW's proprietary components don't make it any easier either!