Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Adding a set of tweeters - using 2-way speakers already on a Pioneer headunit -> Impedance? Volume?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Adding a set of tweeters - using 2-way speakers already on a Pioneer headunit -> Impedance? Volume?

This question is answered

Hi guys,

So basically, I've got 2-ways in the doors (infiniy reference) running off a Pioneer headunit. I want to add tweeters up higher but don't want to have to buy a new set of components just to have the tweeters up high when everything works fine as-is.

I'm worried about 2 things -> load on the headunit (impedance) and volume cut on the door speakers.

Looking to use the Pioneer TS-T15 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/SpecialApplication/TS-T15?tab=B).

If i wire this in parallel with my 2-ways (also 4Ohms) won't my headunit see a 2Ohm load?

The HU is rated at 4Ohms, so this doesn't seem like a good idea, but maybe I'm missing something? Will the in-line capacitors work some magic so the HU sees a 4Ohm load? Please explain if so.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Essentially, you can do it.

The best way to do this would be to get or make a set of passive crossovers - so you only sent bass to the Infinity two-ways and only treble to the Pioneer tweeters.  That solves all your impedance, etc. worries.

However, you can simply wire the tweeters in parallel.  I can't give you a good explanation for HOW it works, but essentially impedance is not constant with frequency - so adding tweeters in the range they are supported at does not halve the impedance at the head unit.  Power to the door speakers is not appreciably changed either, for the same reasons I poorly explained.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• The only thing I would be concerned about would be if the Infinity Reference speakers that are already installed are already 2 ohms. If this is the case, then adding anything in parallel with that would drop the impedance and could make the head unit shut off due to an impedance that is too low. I would try the crossover method if you want to install the tweeters without installing an amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

All Replies
  • Sounds like a good way to burn up your headunit. Why do you want 4 tweeters in front ? Are the rear speaker leads connected to speakers in the rear, or to a sub amp ?

Cool

GLH Geeked

• Essentially, you can do it.

The best way to do this would be to get or make a set of passive crossovers - so you only sent bass to the Infinity two-ways and only treble to the Pioneer tweeters.  That solves all your impedance, etc. worries.

However, you can simply wire the tweeters in parallel.  I can't give you a good explanation for HOW it works, but essentially impedance is not constant with frequency - so adding tweeters in the range they are supported at does not halve the impedance at the head unit.  Power to the door speakers is not appreciably changed either, for the same reasons I poorly explained.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• The only thing I would be concerned about would be if the Infinity Reference speakers that are already installed are already 2 ohms. If this is the case, then adding anything in parallel with that would drop the impedance and could make the head unit shut off due to an impedance that is too low. I would try the crossover method if you want to install the tweeters without installing an amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• The Infinities are really 2.7-ohms which is why they are stated to work with 4-ohm HU's, so I think you would be okay, but I would feel more comfortable about you doing it with 4-ohm speakers.

Hope This Helps!!!