Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

tweeter and crossover installation

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

tweeter and crossover installation

This question is answered

alright.. so i bought the Clarion SRU310H tweeters to add to my 97 maxima. currently I have 2 ohm Infinity speakers in the door and want to install the tweeters in the door area as well but can't figure out how to go about doing it. The crossovers that came with the tweeters have one input and one output. but i still need to wire up the speakers in the door and i can't quite figure out how i'd go about doing that. The tweeters are 4 ohms but the mid ranges are 2 ohms. Correct me if i'm wrong but I would need to run the tweeters at 2 ohms in order for the head unit to run stable.

I saw this graphic on another post. Could i run my two tweeters in parallel and still have my midrange speakers hooked up to my HU?

Sorry if this post is at all confusing. I went over it with my dad (he's an electrician) last night and I couldn't exactly explain if very well to him he had trouble understanding me.

Verified Answer
  • You don't want to run your tweeters at 2 ohms.  You can't, anyway.  A lot of times tweeters have a higher impedance than the woofer in the component set it comes with.  Tweeters are so efficient, the easiest way to balance the sound is to give them a higher impedance to reduce the power they receive. 

You want to run all your speakers off the HU, correct?  Wire the infinity woofers (actually they're closer to 3 ohm) in parallel to the tweeter's crossover inputs.  The tweeters would fail quickly without that crossover.  Attach the tweets to the output of the crossover, and give it a listen.  If the tweeter output is overwhelming, try the -3 and -6db settings on the crossover. 

This load would not be a problem for any amplifier, but you'd be pushing the HU to it's absolute limit driving those low impedance infinity's plus tweeters.  Tweeters aren't particularly power hungry, so it could work fine, the only issue being the HU runs hotter than usual.

[edited by: J Ro at 12:40 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Feb 14 2010]
All Replies
  • You don't want to run your tweeters at 2 ohms.  You can't, anyway.  A lot of times tweeters have a higher impedance than the woofer in the component set it comes with.  Tweeters are so efficient, the easiest way to balance the sound is to give them a higher impedance to reduce the power they receive. 

You want to run all your speakers off the HU, correct?  Wire the infinity woofers (actually they're closer to 3 ohm) in parallel to the tweeter's crossover inputs.  The tweeters would fail quickly without that crossover.  Attach the tweets to the output of the crossover, and give it a listen.  If the tweeter output is overwhelming, try the -3 and -6db settings on the crossover. 

This load would not be a problem for any amplifier, but you'd be pushing the HU to it's absolute limit driving those low impedance infinity's plus tweeters.  Tweeters aren't particularly power hungry, so it could work fine, the only issue being the HU runs hotter than usual.

[edited by: J Ro at 12:40 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Feb 14 2010]
  • I have a 2 channel amp running my subs, could I run the tweeters of the amp to save my head unit the strain? I have 2 subs on the amp running at 500 watts. The amp is maxed out at 500 watts. Would it be safer to put a little more on the amp?

• Can you list what equipment you have?  Just model numbers is fine.

It wouldn't be a good idea to run tweeters and subs together on a 2 channel amp.  Tweeters don't handle the kind of power subs do. A good solution might be to run the tweeters in parallel with the rear speakers, but i need a few system details to make a solid recommendation.

I don't know  if adding a second amp for the highs is an option, but you've bought 90 watt RMS tweeters so you must have thought of amping them.  HU power is usually less than 20 watt RMS, and that's probably being optimistic. 

• HU- Pioneer FH-P8000BT (14 watts rms)

door woofers- Infinity Reference 6022si

amp- Kenwood KAC-7204 (250 x 2 @ 2 ohms)

subs- Infinity Reference 1052w 4-ohm (wired down to 2 ohms)

I had a gift card at amazon and was looking to buy tweeters through crutchfield and these were all I could find on amazon, I didn't really think in terms of power handling and installation, etc. If i can make it work, that would be awesome

• That Pioneer is an excellent unit.  It can handle running the tweeters in parallel with the infinity's.  Go with my first suggestion. 

• J Ro

So run it off the front door woofers wired in parallel as quoted? I love that HU - great controls and audio options. Great sound too. Bluetooth Big Smile 

I've read that if you run these tweeters off an amp they can be too loud and too harsh.

• I haven't heard anything about those tweets- post your opinion when you've had a chance to give them a thorough listen.  Go with parallel wiring and i expect you'll have a much crisper soundstage. 

• I'll definitely review them.. once i find time to install them