Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Installing a system in a golf cart

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Installing a system in a golf cart

This question is answered

I want to install a stereo in my electric golf cart. I'd like to have an MP3 input as well as an FM transmitter with two speakers. I don't need anything big and loud and want something extremely low maintance (maybe a marine system) that can get a little wet and not corrode. Will I be able to use the battery's the cart runs on or should I install a seperate power source? Will the head unit be enough power to run two speakers or will I need an amp? Thanks in advance for your help.

Verified Answer
  • You could always do something like this (blonde optional).Devil

Just kidding ...

I am assuming you mean an FM receiver, not an FM transmitter.

If you are familiar with car audio - a standard HU can power 4-speakers pretty well, but they will sound better with an amp - but the power draw goes up a LOT.

At moderate volume, the car stereo should draw 10 Amps max, but typically closer to 3 Amperes - but I don't know the capacity of most golf-cart batteries or how much the motor in the golf cart draws.  A spare battery for the audio system would not be a bad idea, but I don't know that it is really required (probably not).

The marine components seem like a good idea to me also - but also not sure if REQUIRED.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • You could always do something like this (blonde optional).Devil

Just kidding ...

I am assuming you mean an FM receiver, not an FM transmitter.

If you are familiar with car audio - a standard HU can power 4-speakers pretty well, but they will sound better with an amp - but the power draw goes up a LOT.

At moderate volume, the car stereo should draw 10 Amps max, but typically closer to 3 Amperes - but I don't know the capacity of most golf-cart batteries or how much the motor in the golf cart draws.  A spare battery for the audio system would not be a bad idea, but I don't know that it is really required (probably not).

The marine components seem like a good idea to me also - but also not sure if REQUIRED.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Now that's a golf cart! Surprise

Me and some buddies were just discussing a golf cart project this weekend.
    The cart we are looking at has a gas motor and alternator so we will be able to use subs and amps by adding a battery or two.

If yours is all electric, you should have no problem running just a head unit and four coaxial speakers like TigerHeli suggested. The all electric ones are almost all battery. Just make sure it is a 12 volt setup.

Wouldn't have to be marine gear but I guess it wouldn't hurt.