Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Speakers have stopped working

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Speakers have stopped working

• This morning when I turned my car on, my speakers all of a sudden stopped working....When I turn my car on or just the stereo, I'll hear a single pop coming from one of the speakers on the passenger side. None of the other speakers will work, but I'll still hear the lows coming from my sub. As of last night, my speakers where working fine. When I moved my car from outside into the garage late at night, my speakers were still working fine. Then once I turned my car on this morning, they stopped working. This has happened once before where I heard a popping noise from the speaker on the passengers side, and then none of the other speakers except for the sub would work. But once I turned my car off and then back on, the speakers continued to work fine until now. Any idea what is up? If it was a blown speaker, then why would all of the others shut off as well?

Some more info:

I have a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback....The Head Unit is a JVC KD-R610 that powers all 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. Then I have a 300W Polk Audio amp that powers a 10" Kicker sub

[edited by: Ryan at 8:23 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Dec 21 2010]
  • fuses and wires would be the first areas that i would check. make sure the fuses aren't blown and make sure there are no loose wires anywhere. more information on the overall install would possibly be helpful for any other troubleshooting tips. factory or aftermarket headunit, same with speakers, aftermarket amp? makes and models of those and the vehicle may help as well.

• I have a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback....The Head Unit is a JVC KD-R610 that powers all 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. Then I have a 300W Polk Audio amp that powers a 10" Kicker sub. Dumb question....Does the KD-R610 have a fuse?

• KD-R610 should have an internal fuse in the rear, but if it were blown, I don't think the unit would even turn on.

Most likely is a speaker wire with poor insulation shorting to ground somewhere (and yes, that can make all the speakers stop working).

Unfortunately, it is often easier to re-wire all the speakers with new wire than find the problem, but if you want you could individually connect one speaker at a time to the head unit until you find the one that causes the issue.

Intermittent problems are always a pain to troubleshoot, though.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• An OEM Subaru amp failure could cause that as well - if your car has one ...

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I got a 2004 Chevy silverado Stock all and my drivers speaker isint working ive checked wireing and nothing but the more i look in to it the less i could find wrong...please help

• You'd get more visibility in a new thread, but ...

Swap the drivers and passengers speakers.  If the passenger speaker doesn't work, you have a blown speaker.  If the drivers speaker still doesn't work, you have a bad channel in the head unit or a wiring problem.

Anyone else have suggestions?