Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How do you measure speakers for fit?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How do you measure speakers for fit?

• I've got a 79 Toyota Corona with factory kick panel speakers that measure 3-5/8" from one edge of the surround to the other.  There are four bolt holes in the frame that measure approx 4-1/2" from one hole across the speaker to the other.  They measure just shy of 3-3/4" from one hole to an adjacent hole.  How are speaker dimensions specified?  When you buy a 4" speaker, what does that dimension mean?
  • Based on the information you've provided, I would say you have a standard 4" round speaker.

While all 4" rounds offer similar basket sizes and diameters, there are some variances. For reference, let's look at the Infinity Reference 4022i 4" 2 ways speakers. The frame width of these speakers is 4.046" or just a hair over 4" even. When we measure across the diagonal from bolt tab to bolt tab, we came up with 4.5" which is consistent with the measurement on your factory speaker.

When we researched this vehicle, we did find 4" round in the factory kick panel location. The real problem is not the diameter or bolt pattern, it's the mounting depth in the factory kick panel location. If you've used the "Outfit My Car" feature on the Crutchfield website, you probably found that we do not recommend any aftermarket speakers for this location. Because aftermarket speakers require more mounting depth than their factory counterparts, none of the 4" speakers we offer can fit your factory kick panel without modifications. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you there.

In summary, you should have a 4" factory speaker in this location, but replacing them will require some customization.

I hope that helps.   

www.crutchfield.com/Ryan