Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Two 6x9's - bridging to a 4CH Amp.

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Two 6x9's - bridging to a 4CH Amp.

• AMP: MB-QUART 450

Running bridged it's 100 Watts RMS x 2 (instead of the 40 x 4)
    If I wanted to buy better 6x9's that are rated around 100 RMS. Is it possible to bridge them together to run off channel 1/2 (bridged)? If so, I have no idea how I would wire it.

Thanks

[edited by: Ryan at 4:17 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 7 2011]
  • not exactly. 

that 100 watts  would only be possible if you wired the speakers in parallel and used only one channel on the amp. 

to bridge, you would combine two outputs, the far ones on each end - top and bottom  to where it says bridged underneath the terminals- to only one speaker. this essentially makes it a two channel amp. do not forget to slide the switch and set any crossovers and gain(input level)  on the other side of the amp. i would use caution with the volume knob/buttons since bridged that thing puts out ~200 wpc. 

• If a bridged channel puts out 200 Watts. Combined with two speakers, would that drop it to 100 Watts each? Or would a full 200 Watts be pumping into both speakers? Also, if i did wire them like this, would that be dropping it to, two ohms? As my amp isn't able to produce 2ohms bridged.

[edited by: Drak at 4:07 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Apr 1 2011]
  • when you bridge two channels the amp doesn't know you're powering more than one speaker, all it "sees" is the amount of resistance in ohms that the speakers show to the amp. it all depends on how many voice coils and at what ohms each speaker has. being 6x9s i assume they both only have one VC and its 4ohms. now if you wire those in series you will get an 8ohm load at the amp and if you wire them in parallel you will get the 2ohms. 

the general idea is that each speaker will receive half of what the amp is putting out. 

for what its worth that a sound ordnance four channel amp. i know you probably can't see the text there, hold Ctrl and press the + key a few times to read it. holding Ctrl and - reverses this for when you are done reading it. for most browsers. 

the only amp i can find would be the mb quart DSC 450 which does 200 per channel when bridged. same rules apply though.

• hottcakes

for what its worth that a sound ordnance four channel amp. i know you probably can't see the text there, hold Ctrl and press the + key a few times to read it. holding Ctrl and - reverses this for when you are done reading it. for most browsers. 

the only amp i can find would be the mb quart DSC 450 which does 200 per channel when bridged. same rules apply though.

Not sure what hottcakes was getting at here (it didn't work for me other than to zoom the text up), nor what is special about the DSC-450, but if you are wanting to get 100W per speaker by running them in parallel at 2-ohms, you are probably wanting a 2-Channel amp that is around 125-150Wx2@4-ohms.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Sorry for all the newbie questions. Still trying to grasp most of this, if I kept the amp and bought new 6x9s. Generally them being 4ohms, wiring them would make the amp see 2 ohms if i'm correct (?) Would that cause problems to the speakers? Them being 4 ohms and all.

[edited by: Drak at 9:24 AM (GMT -5) on Sat, Apr 2 2011]
  • if you want to wire any two 4ohm speakers to a 2ohm load for an amp, wire them up like this

if you have more than a one channel amp, just use one set of outputs on the amp. if you wire them like that to the channels that say "bridged" then you risk breaking something, unless it is 2ohm stable bridged. 

• I think we got a little off-track here.

You already have the amp?

Your amp is:

• 4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan.
    • 2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
    • Bridged, 4 ohms: 200 watts x 2 chan.

The amp only has 40A of internal fuses, so those figures might be a bit generous - probably pretty close, though.

Assuming SVC-4-ohm 6x9's:

Essentially, you can hook up one 6x9 to each channel and each speaker will see 50W (at peak ouput).  You can wire two 6x9's in parallel on one channel, but you lose fader control and don't gain any power (but you free up the rear channels if you wanted to run a sub).  You can't do much with bridging the amp - you could bridge it to two speakers wired in series for an 8-ohm load, but the amp is probably 100Wx2@8-ohms bridged, so you are again back at 50W per speaker.

Drak
    Generally them being 4ohms, wiring them would make the amp see 2 ohms if i'm correct (?)

Wired in parallel on the same amp channel or same bridged amp channel, correct.  (Amp not stable bridged).

Drak
    Would that cause problems to the speakers?

Not if you stay below the power handling of the speakers.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks so much! Last question. If i went ahead and got 2ohm speakers, to get that 100 Watts to them. (back two, keeping the front two the 4 ohm door speakers) would that be possable? Or can the amp only output 2ohms/4ohms?

• The amp channels are independent, so you can have a 2-ohm load on one channel and a 4-ohm load on another channel without problems.

In reality - I don't know of any true 2-ohm 6x9 speakers.  I know of a lot of 6x9 speakers that are marketed as 2-ohm but are really 2.7-ohms.

This has two major (well, semi-major) implications:

• You would only get around 80W to your new 2.7-ohm speakers since the amp is essentially seeing a 3-ohm load.
    • The actual power handling of the new speakers is somewhat in question, since the manufacturer makes statements like "True 4-ohm technology ensures the speakers are 4-ohms when wire resistance is taken into account" - baseless claim, but it is no longer clear whether your amp for the speakers should do rated power at 4-ohms, 3-ohms, 2.7-ohms, or 2-ohms.

As you can probably sense, you hit a bit of a nerve with me, and in reality, I make much more of a deal out of it than I should - for example, let's say you are considering the 9632cf speakers - they are highly efficient and rated for 2-100W RMS, so whether your amp supplies 50W, 75W, 80W, or 100W to them is rather irrelevant.

(I don't dislike the speakers themselves, I do dislike the marketing).

Hope This Helps!!!