Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2005 Dodge Ram Infinity Install, Speaker size confusion??

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2005 Dodge Ram Infinity Install, Speaker size confusion??

• The truck is a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 with the 4 speaker system

I have a Alpine CDA-9887 HU, Twister 300 Amp powering to MTX thunders in a Thunder form Box

This is what i have come up with on crutchfields website to do with my speakers in it, advice and input is much appreciated
    was on crutchfield.ca, they seem to think that the inifinty reference series 6.75" will not fit in the front door, but say the shallow mount will fit front and rear, i was also under the impression that the rear was a 5-1/4" speakers? will a 6-3/4" fit? cuz i will do that, will the sound from either size be a noticable difference?

I thought it was all 6.5" that would fit, can't find any infinitys listed in that size on crutchfield

Also i cannot find a component set up in the reference series....this will be easier as i have the base 4 speaker system and i want to put tweets up on the dash...there is the kappa 6.5 components for 229.99 on there, or i could get the 5.25 components in the reference series for 199.99?

What or your guys thoughts on this?
    And what is the huge difference in sound quality from speaker size, 6.5" compared to 5.25"?
    Is it worth it to spend more for the Kappas?
    Bear in mind i will be upgrading by adding an amp later down the road?
    If it will work my plan is to do the 6.75" Reference in the rear doors and the 6.5 Kappa components up front, with the tweeters on the dash!
    Thanks for the help!!

[edited by: J P at 1:48 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, May 8 2011] Changed to discussion.
  • This is all opinion so take it as such.

I urge you to go somewhere that will let you audition the speakers yourself.  I don't think anyone should purchase front speakers sight-unseen, or would it be hearing-unheard?  At least listen to some speakers and get an idea of what you like.  I always go for silk-dome tweeters, but other ppl prefer the sharpness of metallic tweets.  i hear a harsh hissing SSS sound in lyrics from metallic tweets, and i can't bear to listen to it turned up for long.  Still, metallic tweets are very common so others must prefer them.

I've never listened to a 5.25" and then a 6.5" from the same line and preferred the smaller size.  Get the largest mid bass driver that will fit. 

Don't devote too much money towards the rear speakers.  In a properly set stereo, you wouldn't even hear them.  They add something, but it's usually not beneficial to overall sound quality to have sound blaring from behind you.  Stick to stock rears at first, and if you really want something nicer back there later on than you can.

Components sound really good when using an amplifier to power them.  If you want to power them off the HU, co-axials will be more efficient. 

If you might get an amp later, than you might get better subs later, and maybe more powerful front speakers later, and a bigger amp later... trust me this stuff gets you hooked!  Maybe a good approach would be to get the Reference co-axials and run them off the HU for now, and when you get an amp you can stick them in the rear and upgrade the front to Kappa components.

• BTW i don't see the .ca site so i might not be seeing the same thing as you when i do the OUTFIT MY CAR option,  but from what i see it looks like the rears are 5.25", and all THESE infinity's fit the front door. 

• That is actually a good idea, i like the way you put all that out!! it might be the way i go and ya forsure i will fit the biggest speakers i can in the truck, i am pretty sure the 6.75" reference shallow mounts fit front and rear according to the canadian crutchfield website!

Thanks for the help! As for doing the components later down the road, i kind of wanted to get the tweets up in the dash sooner then later, if i decided to do all of the work in one go with amp for the front and rear speakers what would you recommend to power them? looking for something in a good price range that will produce what i need!

As for the subs and amp i have, i will probably just keep them, the amp is killer, had focal 12" subs in my old truck, didnt fit in this one thus the downgrade on subs but i am happy with them give just enough bass to not annoy me!

• That link you posted up i selected the reference 6032si and it says that it will fit the front a rear doors, so it shouldnt be a problem!

• front - http://www.crutchfield.ca/Infinity_Reference_6032si_6_5_2_way_Speakers_Shal_p/1086032si.htm

rear - http://www.crutchfield.ca/Infinity_Reference_5032cf_5_1_4_2_way_Speakers_p/1085032cf.htm

4 channel amp - http://www.crutchfield.ca/Sound_Ordnance_M4050_50W_x_4_Car_Amplifier_p/777m4050.htm

http://www.crutchfield.ca/JL_Audio_J2_320_4_60W_x_4_Car_Amplifier_p/136j23204.htm

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Alpine_MRP_F300_50W_x_4_Car_Amplifier_p/500mrpf300.htm

These amps all have good highpass filters for your small speakers. The rear speakers will need to be set at a higher freq than the fronts and also at a lower gain input. These amps also have preamp RCA outputs for your sub amp, if you like.

These Infinity speakers will not have much bass response at all, but are excellent midrange and high range speakers. Good numbers to start with for the highpass filters would be 150 hz for the front speakers and 300 hz for the rear speakers. Your subs should be able to take over at 100-150 hz and lower, and you should have the lowpass filter on your head or sub amp set around that.

[edited by: GLH at 2:18 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 4 2011]

GLH Geeked

• the truck is a quad cab! and i already have a 2 channel amp bridged for my subs so don't need to worry in that department!

• Great, then the ablove should be pertinent.

Or, these for the rear instead -

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Infinity_Kappa_52_9i_5_1_4_2_way_Car_Speakers_p/108529i.htm

GLH Geeked

• I'm think J Ro is correct on the 5.25"ers fitting the rear location, and if so, the 6.5" shallow mount 6032si's will not fit the rear, only the front.

I don't get why the Canadian store says the rear is 5.25' and the Virginia store says the rear is 6.5".

Why would the same truck sold in Canada have a different size speaker ?

You need to call Crutchfield and ask an advisor, to be sure.

Canadian number - 1-800-297-9469

American number - 1-800-319-8264

GLH Geeked

• Ruffian11
    link you posted up i selected the reference 6032si and it says that it will fit the front a rear doors, so it shouldnt be a problem!

Cool!  Yeah i had entered the ext cab, but i guess the quad cab has the rear speakers in the doors. 

Far as amp goes, i don't know your budget these Sound Ordnance amps have been good sellers and reviews are largely positive.  50 watts RMS is plenty for just about any full-range speaker.  The Alpine MRP-F300 is the best reviewed amp on the site in that power range. 

If you have more to spend you might consider one of the new full-range Class D amps, because they're smaller, use less power, and produce less heat. Sound quality is the same far as i've heard...  I have a JL 900/5 class D amp and it sounds at least as good as other high quality class AB amps i've owned.    This one is the least expensive.

• Thanks guys for all the help! Much appreciated clarified up a lot of things, gonna look into the pricing on all the amps to see what i really need to spend, i may just get the new speakers now get them installed and then get an amp a few months or early down the road.

The sound ordanance sounds like something that should work great for me! but i trust the alpine name as well!

When i do the amp, should i run another wire from the battery? or is it possible to tap off of the capacitor i have going to my other amp?

Also running the speakers off the new amp should i run new speaker wire all the way around or would it be fine tapping into behind the headunit??

As for the rear speakers i beleive even the american website says the 6.75" shallow references' will fit?

Thanks again much appreciated

• Well i started looking into the amps, then came across polk speakers!

so now how do the polk db6501 components with say the db651 2-way in the rear sound? how are these compared to the infinitys?price point is practically the same, i kno i kno you guys are gonna say go and listen to both, now i just have to find someone close that i can hear both set in person!! just looking for another opinion haha

• Ruffian11
    When i do the amp, should i run another wire from the battery? or is it possible to tap off of the capacitor i have going to my other amp?

I don't know what a Twister amp is.  How much RMS power does it have?  Better yet, what's the model number?

What wire gauge are you running now?  8 gauge is fine for the 4 channel amp, but maybe not enough for both.  Having a cap doesn't change the cable requirements. 

Ruffian11
    Also running the speakers off the new amp should i run new speaker wire all the way around or would it be fine tapping into behind the headunit??

Running speaker wire back to the HU is a common installation short-cut that works fine.  Your car isn't all that old though and you're not running mega power so the factory wiring will work.  The biggest hurdle is feeding from the cab through the door grommet, so if that looks like a nightmare, well you can't be blamed for wanting to skip it.

If your factory wire seems sub-standard or is already showing signs of age, definitely run your own.  Basically if you get a feel-good thrill running your own fresh wire, than do it!  It's not that much more work compared to going back to the HU anyway, and you'll be certain all the polarities are correct (is the blue/green wire positive or is it the brown/yellow???). 

Ruffian11
    As for the rear speakers i beleive even the american website says the 6.75" shallow references' will fit?

Yeah it does, i initially had the ext cab checked with rear speakers behind the seat instead of quad cab.

• Ruffian11
    how do the polk db6501 components with say the db651 2-way in the rear sound?

Sounds good.

Ruffian11
    i kno i kno you guys are gonna say go and listen to both

Go and listen to both Stick out tongue

• Ruffian11
    how are these compared to the infinitys?

Infinity's tend to be more bright and/or harsh, depending on your perspective.  (I told you the differences which is what you asked, but it still won't tell you which ones you like without listening to them).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs