Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Popping noise when turning on and turning off car.

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Popping noise when turning on and turning off car.

• I have two amps in my car, one 4 channel and then my sub woofer amp. My receiver only has a front and rear output so i run my outputs to the 4 channel and then run the pass through from my 4 channel to my sub amp. I only have my front speakers and subs hooked up right now, putting in rear speakers soon.

Whenever i start up my car or turn it off there is a very loud popping noise but if i switch the RCA cables around so that the rear output of my receiver is going to the front output of my amp and the front output goes to the rear in my amp then the popping stops. 

I do have a pioneer receiver and have heard of the RCA grounding issues but didn't  know if it was that.

• Do you have access to a multimeter??? You can get the voltage from the speaker terminalls to see if anything is even getting to the subs.

• I'm not very "internal amp" savy so to speak so hopefully someone else will chime in on this. However, I read your last post and now after reading this I think it may be an internal amp thing. I'm hoping someone will come along and give me an internet slap in the face and prove me wrong but that's what it sounds like to me. Have you tried hooking up a sub to a channel on the 4 channel amp you have??? Just to see if that also doesn't work....

• no but i will give that a shot. thanks for the suggestion.

• just plugged them in to my 4 channel and they worked like a charm. The mono block amp is only about a month old so ill give crutchfield a call and see what they say about it.

• They are pretty good about stuff like that. I had a new sub issue and they replaced it no charge. Truely speaks for their awesome service to be honest. Did you still get that popping noise???

• Ya i am sending it back tomarrow. Just got off the phone with a technition and they are replacing the amp.

• OK so today my subs stopped working. i have checked everything i can think of.

i run 2 RCA's into my 4 channel amp and then run the pass through into my sub amp. i have tested both RCA's running to my 4 channel and they work good so i plugged one straight into my sub amp and still nothing. the amp is getting power and the on board fuses are fine. The grounds in both amps are on the same bolt in my trunk and it is a good ground.

Any suggestions ?

note: before they stopped working there were popping noises through all my speakers whenever i changes the source in my receiver and turned my car off. The popping is still there it just isn't coming through the subs anymore.

• If you have popping when you change sources, it is usually a ground loop issue and a ground loop isolator might fix it.

If you have popping when you turn the car on and off - it is probably b/c the amp is turning on before or off after the HU is coming on and off - if you are using the REM output on the HU, that shouldn't be happening, but you might need a delay module.

The Pioneer RCA issue is generally a hum at all times and all volume levels, so I don't THINK that's the issue.

Are the subs not working with the new amp, or is this still the old amp?

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli
    The Pioneer RCA issue is generally a hum at all times and all volume levels, so I don't THINK that's the issue.

I experienced the Pioneer issue, and indeed i had been switching the RCA's around with the radio playing.  everytime i changed sources or even changed the station or volume, i got a pop.  that was only on the FRONT set of RCA's.  i switched to the rear RCA's, and it all went away...

...until i started swapping the RCA's around again.  after that, the rear channels also popped and whined.  i ended up replacing the HU, and i learned not to make connections with the stereo playing anymore.  well, most of the time Stick out tongue

• I stand corrected - Thanks J Ro.

OP - you could try this:  www.caraudio.com/.../147694-pioneer-hu-alternator-whine-fix.html

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs