Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Best 6.5 speakers for big bass

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Best 6.5 speakers for big bass

• One of my friends wants to put together a really budget system that consists of 4 6.5" coaxials and an amp. Generally I use Alpine equipment, but this is a bit big for his budget, and don't provide the bass he wants. So basically I need 4 speakers that provide the best bass possible, and still sound reasonably good in the mids and highs... His budget is around $150. He already has an aftermarket headunit with preouts...

Anyone have any suggestions? 

[edited by: nphilanthro at 8:45 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Jan 24 2008]
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit Rockford Fosgate 550X amplifier Sundown Audio SAE-1000D Temp - Kicker Solo Baric L5 Temp - Kenwood Coaxials Soon - Fi Q 18, Hertz HSK 165, 120sq.ft. of Damplifier and Overkill
  • Two sets of speakers and an amp for $150??? I'd suggest eBay or craigslist. You're not going to get anything new that's worth a crap for that budget. IMHO

• Yea, I know what you mean. I am going to get my stuff through discount retailers. I know that what he wants isn't great, I'm just asking for opinions on the best bang for buck type of equipment that will put out some bass.
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Alpine CDA-9886 Head Unit Rockford Fosgate 550X amplifier Sundown Audio SAE-1000D Temp - Kicker Solo Baric L5 Temp - Kenwood Coaxials Soon - Fi Q 18, Hertz HSK 165, 120sq.ft. of Damplifier and Overkill
  • Actually, I just want to run 4 6.5's off of his head unit. His head unit is a Pioneer that puts out roughly 20 watts RMS. So I need some efficient speakers that put out some decent bass. Hopefully this will open up my options. What do you guys think?
  • Nphilanthro - you've been here long enough to know this - what kind of car is it so we can check what fits.  Here are some that CF sells that have good bass and are in the price range.

You can maybe find them discounted for $50/pair (personally, it wouldn't be worth leaving CF for $10/speaker pair) and a $50 amp, but the amp won't be great quality.  You also have a Catch-22 in that those speakers won't support a very good amp, but if you spend the extra for speakers that you could amp later, you no longer have the money to buy the amp with. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• As for fitting them, it doesn't really matter. Anything that is 6.5" will fit. Mounting depth isn't a problem.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'm looking into them. Currently, I am no longer planning to amp them. So some highly efficient speakers would be good since I am going to run them off a head unit that puts out around 15-20 watts RMS.

Thanks for the help.

• The Kenwood's and the Alpine's have the best efficiency specs but I think any of those would sound good off a HU only.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs