Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2001 pontiac grand am with monsoon system

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2001 pontiac grand am with monsoon system

• I have a pioneer head unit ant want to put in after maket speakers in the front and rear deck so how do I by-pass the factory amp through the wiring harness? Which wires?

• Here is the wiring info.  I don't know if there's a bypass adapter which would make it easier, though.  Anyone?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hey, I work in the Car Audio department at best buy you have to buy a very expensive wiring harness to bypass the amp, no matter what they tell you it is NOT, I REPEAT NOT the GMS04 wiring harness but it is the scoshe one, (I got a discount but it should be around 130) and you can probably find it online for cheaper. It is incredibly hard to install and if you do it wrong you can lose all of your lights, warning tones, dash lights etc. so it is highly suggested you get a professional to do it. I do my own installs and it was impossible for me to do! If you have any further questions about the car feel free to post back.

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Pioneer DEH-5900 Deck Front Speakers Infinity Reference 4x6 with Stock MonsoonTweeters Back Speakers Infinity Reference 6x9 Kenwood 1000W Amp w/Two Alpine Type E 10" Subwoofers
  • Petey - I don't have that car, so I'm not going to argue with you, but it seem to me like the Scosche adapter that you are referring to would be required for installing an aftermarket HU.  He already has an aftermarket HU and just wants to install new speakers and bypass the amp.

It seems to me that in a worst case, he could just run new wiring from the HU to the new speakers and cap and stow the existing speaker wire, leaving the amp connected, but I would think there would be a bypass adapter as well.

I don't know for sure, though? 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Yea I mut have read that wrong...why would you want to bypass that amp??? I've got the same car and put some infinity reference speaks in there and it sounds amazing on that monsoon amp...he would have to run all new speaker wire...I dont know of a bypass and I talk to the install guys alot..
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Pioneer DEH-5900 Deck Front Speakers Infinity Reference 4x6 with Stock MonsoonTweeters Back Speakers Infinity Reference 6x9 Kenwood 1000W Amp w/Two Alpine Type E 10" Subwoofers
  • Thanks - generally the aftermarket HU's put out more power than the factory monsoon amps, but I don't know the specs on it, so you would know better than I would.

If anyone wanted to test, all you would need to do is say hook the front right speaker leads from the HU to the harness adapter to the new speaker (which would use the Monsoon amp) and initially wire the other one directly to the HU harness and compare the two. 

• Bose and Monsoon have different hookups. I'm not in a Car Audio department but I know how to install anything with HU's, Amps, Wire Harnesses. You're right, the GMS04 won't work...WITH A BOSE harness...Some or all GT's came with Monsoon. And I'm looking for a harness for the car that will work with my HU. Can't seem to find a **** Monsoon harness around. Also, looking for a cheap front bumper(2001 grand am gt) someone took it off when I was in class earlier today. I'm a lil pissed off but I had to laugh it off somewhat. Any info, I'd appreciate it.
  • old post but, gmso4 is a piece of junk. im not a stranger to installing hu's and amps but that thing didnt work. i ended up cutting harness off of it and pulling an acc wire right off ingnition. deck works fine but trying to put in amp to drive a set of 12's while retaining the monsoon amp because sound is pretty good, monsoon overrides my amp. i pulled the fuse for monsoon and subs work i have been over this several times and cant figure where i would have went wrong. either i am stupid or gm is. thinking of pulling power for the monsoon off of a distribution block with my sub amp to bypass the cars bs. any ideas?

• So you have an aftermarket HU now?

If I read the harness info above correctly, everything SHOULD work fine if the HU remote lead is connected to both the Dark Green wire on Pin 10 of the Monsoon amp connector and to the remote terminal of your subwoofer amp.

I'm not seeing any reason that wouldn't work.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• yes already have the HU installed. rechecked everything over and over and i dont get it, could be missing something, its been a couple days so i'll look again and hope its obvious. thanks

• I got one for $60 at Walmart, i have also seen them at Canadian tire, there is two kinds 2000-2004, and 2003+, for a grand am you will need the 2000-2004

2004 Grand Am Gt Factory Monsoon Speakers, Pioneer Head Unit, Carion XH7110 Amplifier (850 Watts RMS), 2 - Alpine Type R 12" (DV Coil - for 2 Ohms)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS,100%, Black on Black Leather, Factory Bose w/Factory Bose 12" Sub

• And another thing there will be a blue remote wire coming from the harness that is the remote wire for the factory amp

2004 Grand Am Gt Factory Monsoon Speakers, Pioneer Head Unit, Carion XH7110 Amplifier (850 Watts RMS), 2 - Alpine Type R 12" (DV Coil - for 2 Ohms)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS,100%, Black on Black Leather, Factory Bose w/Factory Bose 12" Sub

• Tiger, I installed a new aftermarket HU and had no sound, etc. I fought this for hours and connecting the Dark Green wire to the remote terminal was the fix.

Thanks