Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Ok to use crossovers from different component speaker set?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Ok to use crossovers from different component speaker set?

• Ok, so the installer that did my installation took the crossover covers off my crossovers when installing my component speaker set (Infinity Kappa 60.7cs) and threw them away.  They're not supposed to take anything apart w/o asking first and they definitely shouldn't be just throwing parts away.

So they can't get new covers for my crossovers and now they're telling me that they're going to try and get me "upgraded" crossovers.

Is it ok to use crossovers from a different speaker set?  I thought you're only supposed to use the crossovers that are made for your speakers (ie. that come with or are manufactured just for your model of speakers)? 

[edited by: IsLNdbOi at 3:28 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 24 2008]
  • I'm trying to get this resolved in your other thread.

If the crossovers are at the same frequency, it shouldn't make a difference, but it's not preferred (for example, the Infinity 50.7cs sure looks like they use the same crossovers as the 60.7's), also some crossovers are adjustable, and if you know where to set them, that should work.  I wouldn't want to install Alpine crossovers in an Infinity set, but likely even different model Infinity crossovers could be okay.  

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• What kind of place does that? I'd tell your installer that they're paying for new speakers and they're doing the job for free for wasting time.

Kenwood Excelon X-591 | 2 Infinity Reference 6022i | 2 Infinity Reference 6022si | 2 Alpine 10" Type-S Subs

• Heh, take a look at the thread Tiger linked to.

My experience so far with InstallerNet and this installer has been pretty bad.

I'd ask for a new set of speakers, but no one's going to listen or agree to that.  I just noticed there's a new 60.9cs set with the same price as the 60.7cs.  Maybe they can replace my 60.7cs set with that?  Would be nice, but it's not gonna happen.

[edited by: IsLNdbOi at 5:40 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, Apr 24 2008]
  • Passive crossovers don't work like active crossovers. Active crossovers (the ones that go before your amp or the ones included in your amp) have a crossover point and slope that you can set with a dial or a knob. They modify the electrical signal that goes to the amp. passive crossovers use capacitors, resistors and inductors to modify the impedance of the speaker at some frequencies to cause the amplifier to make less power at some frequencies than others. The components are chosen and the circuit is designed to compliment the impedance curves and the frequency response of the speaker. While you can probably use some generic crossover with your speakers, they won't sound the same. I don't recommend using other passive crossovers with your component system.
    Andy Wehmeyer Product Marketing Manager Harman Consumer Group
  • Andy - would the Infinity 50.7 crossovers work with the 60.7 system?  Do you know of any way that islndboi (sp?) can buy just the crossover covers or just the crossovers themselves separately from the speakers?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I'll send him a PM

Andy Wehmeyer Product Marketing Manager Harman Consumer Group
  • Thanks!!!

• Andy has been in contact with me and says he'll get me covers for my crossovers.  In the meantime, I'm still dealing with the installer.  They threw the original covers away so they still need to do something about that.  They called me yesterday and told me they were just going to give me "better" crossovers from a set of Boston Acoustic speakers.  I don't believe them.  I checked out Boston Acoustic's site and none of their speakers have the same specs. as the 60.7cs so there's no way I'm going to use these "better" crossovers.
  • i wouldnt trash boston like that.  Boston is one of the industys leaders in sound reproduction. 

I am currently in a situation simaler to yours.  I have had two sets of  lanzar componets and i have managed to fry my tweeters.  I plan on replacing them with a different brand of tweeters (so i can get titanium tweets) but still using the lanzar cross overs.  I dont think i will have a problem.

I would personly like for you, since you do have the capablities, to take the installer up on his offer to give you a different set of crossovers and compare them back to back with the correct cross overs.  It would let you know which ones sound better to you. Wink

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • Thanks for the input Spruce.  I wasn't trying to bash Boston Acoustics.  It's just that I've asked this question on other forums (whether it's ok to use crossovers from different speakers with mine) and pretty much everyone says it's fine as long as the speakers that the new crossovers are coming from have the same specs. (range of frequencies, power, etc.) as the speakers I have now.

I checked out Boston's site and none of their speakers had the same or similar specs. as my 60.7cs set.

• sorry i havent check the specs to compare them to each other.  I will check that in a bit (im at work)....
    Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • I went to them today to see the crossovers they're trying to give me.  They're from a set of used, 5 year old Boston Acoustics Z6.  They were massive.  The reason the installer took the covers off my Kappa's crossovers in the first place they said, was that he couldn't fit them in my door panels.  That was BS since I've found many places in my door panels to place the crossovers in w/o modifying them.  Now they're offering me these massive crossovers (that definitely won't fit in my door panels) that I shouldn't even be using with my speakers since they don't match (the Z6 set doesn't have the same specs. as my Kappa 60.7cs).

Kappa 60.7cs:

2-Ohms

Freq. Response:   45Hz - 25kHz

90W RMS

270W Peak 

Sensitivity:   95db 

Boston Acoustics Z6:

3-Ohms

Freq. Response:    40Hz-22kHz

20W RMS

400W Peak 

Sensitivity:   90db 

[edited by: IsLNdbOi at 7:54 AM (GMT -5) on Fri, May 09 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:46 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:46 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:45 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:45 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:45 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:26 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:25 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008] [edited by: IsLNdbOi at 8:24 PM (GMT -5) on Thu, May 08 2008]
  • other than the size issue i would think that they would work fine. 
  • Two key points here  ...

Andy is providing you replacement covers so whatever the install shop sends you is pretty much academic anyway.

The critical items are the crossover frequencies, and possibly the crossover slope, and maybe the power handling - not the overall frequency response, none of which you have posted (and might not be available).