Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Help with Pontiac Monsoon system

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Help with Pontiac Monsoon system

• I have a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am with the Monsoon system.  The factory sail panel subs blew and were replaced with Infinity 6022si per Crutchfield recommendation. This is not working at all!  I am looking at installing two 12" subs in a custom box in the rear well with a mono sub amp.  What is required to get proper signal to the amp?  Also, I'd like to find a way to run the Infinitys full range off of the factory system.  Help please!!!
  • Here is the wiring info for your car.

For the subs, I think you can just use the wiring for either of the voice coils to either speaker level inputs or a LOC to the amp.

For the Infinity's to run full-range, I would think you would want to use the front midrange outputs. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks!  Now for a bigger ?.  Suppose I decided to go with the afore mentioned sub setup, but decided to replace the door and rear speakers, and amp them (and the sail panel infinity's) with a 4 channel amp (basically ditching the factory except for the hu).  1. I'm assuming my best bet would be to have 4 ohm speakers up front and add 2 ohm in the rear so that I could wire the rear and the 2 ohm infinity's to create a 4 ohm load all around. 2. I'm lost as to what kind of sound processor I'd need.  Would the Cleansweep or one of the MTX req's be the best for my application?  Sorry for all the ?'s and the ignorance, but it's been nearly 15 years since I last dabbled in car stereo.  Back when planning and installing a top notch system in a '77 TA was much easier than it seems to be for an '01.
  • Think of the current HU and amp as one big HU. In other words, even to add an external amplifier, you need to keep the factory amps and feed the signal to the speaker level inputs on the new amp.

If you are going to go to all the trouble of adding amps for the main speakers - I really recommend replacing the HU and ditching the factory system altogether.  Even a $80 HU would have more power and you might not even need the main amp.  If you still want it, you would have a better platform for adding it anyway. 

prowler66gt:
    1. I'm assuming my best bet would be to have 4 ohm speakers up front and add 2 ohm in the rear so that I could wire the rear and the 2 ohm infinity's to create a 4 ohm load all around.

Correct - unless you only wanted to pick the best four speaker locations and use those only.  Another option would be leaving some of the speakers off the HU and only amping one pair of them (probably the fronts, if you just needed rear "fill"). 

2. I'm lost as to what kind of sound processor I'd need.  Would the Cleansweep or one of the MTX req's be the best for my application?  Sorry for all the ?'s and the ignorance, but it's been nearly 15 years since I last dabbled in car stereo.  Back when planning and installing a top notch system in a '77 TA was much easier than it seems to be for an '01.

Again - replacement HU eliminates the need for CleanSweep and costs less as well.  See my thread here, but I'm not sure anything would be required for the 01 TA even if you kept the stock HU. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs