Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Pioneer vs Kenwood

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Pioneer vs Kenwood

• http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=300&i=130DEHP4UB&tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=300&i=113KDCX492&tp=5684

I am pretty sure i have narrowed down my reciever choices to these two but i am l not sure if i am missing something. I am leaning towards the Kenwood even though i believe that Pioneer is a better brand. But i am going to be using the head unit to control my amp going to my subs and i like the usb feature the kenwood has because i have heard that usb sounds better than aux. My budget is up to $170. Should i go with the kenwood? Any other recievers out there i should think about?

[edited by: yadster101 at 6:11 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Nov 16 2008]
  • well, I have tested two HU, Pioneer DEH-P7950UB (DEH-P6900UB similar) and Kenwood KDC-X792, in sound  quality, Kenwood are far superior...

-the  problems  with pioneer, is noise too much hiss, (this are noticeable  for some people, and some not, for me  is too much hisssssss), the  music sound   compresed for my taste, and  highs sound a little distorted for my taste...

-The  problem with kenwood,  The  CD player are more sensible compared with pioneer, the pioneer  drive plays  the CDs with no problem, but Kenwood player  have some problem when the car are shaking...

• yadster101:
    and i like the usb feature the kenwood has because i have heard that usb sounds better than aux.

Both those units support USB.Confused

Any other recievers out there i should think about?

There are lots of decks that support USB and subwoofer controls.  Personally, I tend to like Pioneer better than Kenwood (and I think Pioneer's FM tuner is better), but it's largely up to you.

Personally, I prefer the USB input on the rear (you can run an extension cable to any convenient point), and I don't like the blue highlighting around the ports on that Kenwood, so if I went with Kenwood, I would go with one of these, but if you don't mind that, it's fine.

Recommend you try to find display models of both.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I have looked at display models and i do like the look of the pioneer a little better, but i like the front usb feature and, doesnt the kenwood have a more powerful amp along w/ better sub control?
  • yadster101:
    but i like the front usb feature

Depends how you plan to use it - I have a USB thumb drive.  Hate having it sticking out of the dash when I am driving and somewhat reflecting into the screen (front port) and really hate having to unplug it when I park the car or leaving it sticking out as an invitation to theives.

If the drive were permanently connected, routing a cable to the glove box or behind the dash would make the most sense.

If I planned to swap it in and out - an extension cable to the base of the center console would work - either would be better than the front mount, IMHO.

and, doesnt the kenwood have a more powerful amp

Hard to say - 22W non CEA compliant vs. 14W CEA compliant - nothing I think you would notice, although there have been complaints of hiss with the Pioneers - as we said, listen to the display models.

along w/ better sub control?

How so?  It might, but I'm not sure what you are meaning by that?

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• poineer is good like another person said it carry a lot of hiss like a tape player......too me no matter how much power or how you adjust your hi pass crossover my highs still sound muddy........... on the other hand in my truck has a kenwood cd player i have a 4 channel 4oo.4 punch amp  with pretty much the same name brand speaker as my car the music is crisp clear and clean.................
  • yadster101:
    I have looked at display models and i do like the look of the pioneer a little better, but i like the front usb feature and, doesnt the kenwood have a more powerful amp along w/ better sub control?
    I had the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB for a while before I got a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X791. As far a subwoofer adjustments, they both are fairly equal (the Kenwood has a few more low-pass crossover choices, not a big deal), but it's slightly easier to adjust the subwoofer volume on the Kenwood IMO.

IIRC, to change the sub volume on the Pioneer, you had to hold down the SW button for a moment, turn the knob a notch if it wasn't on the right menu, tilt the knob up or down to change the volume, and then hit Band to exit the menu. You could attenuate the sub by -24dBs, and boost it by +8dBs.

On the Kenwood, you just press the Volume knob, turn it to adjust the volume, then press any other button to exit the menu. The subs can be attenuated or boosted by 15dBs either way.

[edited by: thunderstruck at 1:12 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Nov 18 2008]

1995 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado

Kenwood eXcelon | Diamond Audio | Kicker | RAAMaudio

• It seems like a lot of you guys like the pioneer, but what is better about the extension cable? isnt it better to just have the usb up front, and then just take the usb out when you get out of your car? Do you have to do something complicated to take the usb out of the port? also wouldnt a random cable coming out of your dash look kind of wierd?

I went to best buy to listen to both the head units but neither one was working, but i still got a pretty good look at them and i have to say that the pioneer does look better

• yadster101:
    It seems like a lot of you guys like the pioneer

Ermm, actually, I like the Pioneer and a lot of the other guys like the Kenwood.

but what is better about the extension cable? isnt it better to just have the usb up front, and then just take the usb out when you get out of your car? Do you have to do something complicated to take the usb out of the port? also wouldnt a random cable coming out of your dash look kind of wierd?

Again, you have to think about how you will use this and what works for you.

I use a thumb drive with a front mounted port - the drive stays in the car, but I take it out of the radio when I park so it isn't obviously sticking out of the dash.  With a rear port, I could run the cable to the glove box and just leave it there and it would be unseen.

With an MP3 player - essentially you have the same thing - but now there is a cable running out of the dash (from the HU to the player) and it would be less obvious to have it running to the glove box as well.

With a portable USB HD - you will be disconnecting that even less so a rear port makes even more sense, and now you could probably run it behind the dash or under a seat instead of to the glove box.

About the only time the front port makes sense would be if I were going to swap devices a lot (a USB thumb drive and an MP3 player and a friend's USB thumb drive - or if the thumb drive got used in the car and with a laptop as well).  Even here, I personally would rather have the cable run under a seat where I could take it out and disconnect it as needed - you don't want the random cable coming out of the dash - but you can often avoid that more easily with the rear port.

Post back if that wasn't clear.

Hope This Helps!!!

• I've personally got the Kenwood in my car.  I originally got it because I could see the USB port and it was easy to access.  I understand where alot of guys are coming from about the whole "hangs out the front" thing, and I agree with them on that subject. 

I've spent some time toying around with the Pioneer head units like the one you're looking at, and I've found them to be pretty easy to navigate for the most part.  I love how my Kenwood navigates, though (and I'm used to it to boot), but on the Pioneers I've looked at, it wasn't difficult to change the sub volume.  

My main complaint about the Kenwood is the 7-way knob can be touchy and you might change tracks when you were trying to do something else, but I highly recommend using the remote if you get the Kenwood.  It make it alot easier to navigate while driving and you don't have the accidental track change problem.

• Pioneer essentially has something like the 7-way knob with the volume control also.

• Well thnx guys, i am going with the kenwood which i will hopefully be able to order this weekendSmile