Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2002 Pontiac Grand Am and Pioneer DEH-P5000UB

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2002 Pontiac Grand Am and Pioneer DEH-P5000UB

• I am having a serious problem with my headunit. It worked fine for almost a year and then it got really cold and now when i turn on my car to accessory the headunit operates fine but when I actually turn on the car, the head unit turns on for a second and then turns back off like it lost power. I have replaced the wiring harness (was a Scosche GM2000 and now I even tried a new version Scosche GM09SR) and it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas at all what what is wrong?
  • I know that when it gets really cold, my receiver stays on for some reason. I have found that detaching the face when I get out of my vehicle and re-attaching it when I get back in fixes my issue. I know it seems trivial, but the connection circuit can be affected by cold weather. You may want to check the connection circuit between the faceplate and the receiver to make sure nothing is going wrong there.

Also, it may have something to do with the harness being used. I know that we recommend the Metra VT-GMRC-01 for the non-Monsoon and no OnStar vehicles, the Metra GMOS-01 harness for the non-Monsoon system with OnStar, and the Metra VT-GMOS-04 harness if you have the Monsoon system.

Anyone have other suggestions?

[edited by: Paul at 4:59 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jan 13 2009]

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• I have had the same problem with my 2003 Chevy Cavalier and the Scosche GM2000 unit. Mine stopped working before it ever got cold. It was just sudden. Auxiliary works fine but with the engine running it turns on for only a few seconds. I called Scosche and they gave me a procedure to reset the device but it didn't seem to work. With a multimeter I measured the switched output voltage and when I turn the ignition the voltage from the GM2000 goes from 12 to 14 and then to 0 over a four second period or so. I was thinking about buying the GM09SR but this has me wondering. Did you ever figure this problem out MaterTipper? Can you or anyone else give any advice? Thanks.

• I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT with a Sony Headunit and I'm having the same problem. I tried replacing the GM2000 unit with another one thinking that I might have just gotten a bad unit but it is still giving me the problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing it on your end? If so, how did you fix it? Thanks

• @ skytoastar: What did scosche tell you to do to reset the GM2000 unit? Thanks.

• I called Scosche support because I had the same problem on my 2003 Cavalier and this is what they e-mailed me today. I haven't had a chance to try this but will in the near future. But i'm not very confident it will work because "skytoastar" has already tried to reset his unit as per Scosche and he had no luck. Here it is anyway.

To reset the GM200F you will need to put the vehicle in a state of
    "rest." To do this you will need to follow these reset steps:

1. Disconnect the harness from the chime box
    2. Shut all of the doors
    3. Remove key from ignition
    4. Wait until the interior lights go off in the vehicle.
    5. Once they go off wait 4 - 5 minutes inside the vehicle with all doors
    shut and everything powered off.
    6. Plug the harness back into the chime box
    7. Start the vehicle

This will reset the interface in your vehicle. If you have any other
    questions please feel free to contact me.

• Some of these problems might be related to condensation from a cold vehicle interior warming up quickly and/or a warm vehicle interior cooling off quickly.

GLH Geeked

• But what you don't take into consideration is that with the original radio, that problem was never there to begin with and has only begun since the installation of the Scosche unit with a new radio/cd player unit. I had that same radio/cd unit in my previous car and never had a problem with it when it was cold outside and that has only occurred since I had to buy a GM200f  module so that I would keep all of the features of the 2003 Cavalier.

• GLH
    Some of these problems might be related to condensation with the GM200f from a cold vehicle interior warming up quickly and/or a warm vehicle interior cooling off quickly.

Not that it helps much.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• LOL, but clever, nonetheless.

GLH Geeked

• I finally did the reset of the interface as per Scosche recommendation but to no avail. It still did the exact same thing. So I simply decided to reinstall the original radio/Cd player in my car. Problem solved for good. I wasn't about to buy another one of these faulty interface since there seem to be many people with the same cold weather problem with this same interface.

[edited by: wowsers at 3:18 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Dec 5 2010]