Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

JVC KW-XG700 USB Won't Read

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

JVC KW-XG700 USB Won't Read

• I can't get a 16GB Cruzer Micro Sandisk (with U3 installed on it) to read in my unit.  When it tries to read it, the unit flashes "check" repeatedly and never plays anything.  I uninstalled U3, and the same thing happens.  Could it be that the capacity of the drive is too large?  Maybe the brand doesn't work with these units? Anyone else have this problem, or knows what the problem might be?
  • U3 could definitely be a problem.

The Cruzer needs to be formatted at FAT32, but most drives are.

I don't think the deck knows what size the drive is (???).

You might try loading a single MP3 file on the drive and see if it finds that, and you might try other brands and sizes of drives as well.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for your suggestions.  I've tried that, and still didn't work.  I've used an SD Cruzer and now a Geek Squad (Best Buy Brand), and neither works.  Anybody else have a clue??

[edited by: amigomama at 6:55 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Feb 16 2009]
  • I'm stumped - will it work with smaller drives - say 1GB to 2GB ???

As this point, all I can suggest is call CF's tech support if you bought it here, or JVC's otherwise.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks, TigerHeli, for your willingness to help me.  Yes, the Geek Squad drive is a 2GB, and I did email JVC.  They didn't seem to know how to fix the problem either.  So, I guess I just have a bad USB port.  Thanks again.
  • Unfortunately, I'm coming to the bad USB port conclusion - I thought of something else - Clarion uses two yellow wires with one powering the USB the other the memory for the pre-sets, but JVC does not seem to do that, so that isn't it either.

Can you swap it out under warranty?

• TigerHeli, you have really tried to help me with my problem, and I really appreciate it.  Yep, I think I'll just have to use the warranty to swap it out, or just not use the USB feature.  Thanks again, for your willingness to help.
  • Get it swapped out - USB was something that I thought "Would be nice to have the capability, but I'll probably never use it" when I bought my Sony.  It has become by far my most used source (but then again, I don't have an iPod).

Hope This Helps!!!

• TigerHeli:
    Get it swapped out - USB was something that I thought "Would be nice to have the capability, but I'll probably never use it" when I bought my Sony.  It has become by far my most used source (but then again, I don't have an iPod).
    +1

IIRC, the Geek Squad flash drives are just rebranded SanDisk drives.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado

Kenwood eXcelon | Diamond Audio | Kicker | RAAMaudio

• Hey, I hope you haven't traded your JVC head unit yet. The problem is with the flash drive, not your stereo. I have two XG700's, one in my Impala and the other in my Venture, and they are the best units out there for the money.

I tried using a Sandisk 8GB Titanium U3 flash drive in my Venture (The Imp has a hardwired iPod via the JVC interface), and the **** flash drive wouldn't read. It works fine on my office computer, but it's useless in my van. Tried it in the Imp too, same result or lack thereof.

I substituted a Kingston Traveller 16GB flash drive (cheap), and it works perfectly with the JVC unit. I think it's the crappy bundled U3 software that Sandisk puts on the drive. I tried using the uninstall tool and I reformatted it, and it still wouldn't work. Get a cheap Kingston drive instead. 

• Stepjam....thanks so much for your info!  So glad to know that the problem isn't with the unit.  I haven't swapped it out, just to avoid the aggravation.  I will definately get a Kingston, and after your success with yours, I feel that it probably will solve it.

I agree that the unit is just great for the money. I don't have an ipod yet, but was wondering if one will work with the external Aux Input, with some kind of a cable?  I don't want to go the route of hooking it up from the back with the recommended ipod adapter, because I don't want to take the unit out to get to the back.  Do you happen to know if the front configuration will work?

Thanks again for your help.

• I don't have the JVC, but I thought you already tried removing U3 from the Sandisk drive?

On the iPod - it should play through the front AUX input, but the sound quality won't be as good, and you would have to select songs from the iPod, not from the deck itself - it's not very hard to pull the deck out to connect the adapter and I would definitely recommend it - gives you a much cleaner install for the iPod and you can even route the cable to the glove box if you want so it is less enticing to theives.

Just my two cents.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Hey TigerHeli, your "two cents" is most welcome.  Yes, I did uninstall U3, which of course still didn't work.  The other drive I have is a Geek Squad, which is apparently made my Sandisk.  I'm thinking anything made by Sandisk just won't work, so I'm hoping a Kingston Traveler will.

I think your advice in installing an ipod the "right" way, just may be the way to go. I like the idea of an ipod for music management, and I wanted to use the USB for audiobooks.  I travel for a living, and audiobooks, as well as music, seems to get me on down the road with minimal boredom. Of course, music has always been my main priority, since I had a new '69 Mustang Grande with a built in 8 track player!!!!  Well, I've just successfully given away my age, so thanks for all the many replies.  I'm betting the thread has just gone "bye bye". Ha!  BTW, the car was a graduation present.

Then, low & behold, they came out with cassette players for your car!  You can imagine how I loved the CD technology next.  Now, I'm no total stranger to digital music, but there are still things I haven't quite got a grasp of yet. I never had a unit with USB and Aux, and the only mobile music device I have is a Sony phone with a Walkman.  Otherwise, I just use CD's.

Well, this old lady has rambled long enough, but really guys, thanks for all the "heads up". 

• In my Impala, I use a JVC iPod interface with my kw xg700. It plugs into the back of the unit, where a CD changer would go, and then attaches to your ipod. The interface is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!! <Mod Edit: Removed price discussion. Please refer to our Code of Conduct and price discussion policy. Thanks.>  The best part is that your ipod can go in the glovebox, and stay out of sight. When you shut the head unit off, the ipod will also turn off after a few minutes. The remote runs it just like an your ipod, so really you never have to touch your ipod again.

I just got another one for my van (ebay), even though the flash drive works just as well, IMO. The reason is that my wife sometimes uses the van, and her musical tastes are radically different from mine, She can plug her iPod into the interface and away she goes. 

[edited by: TigerHeli at 7:19 AM (GMT -5) on Mon, Mar 16 2009] Was: You can get them on ebay for less than $50, or pay $100+ here at Crutchfield. [edited by: Stepjam at 10:33 AM (GMT -5) on Sun, Mar 15 2009]
  • Any flash drives with U3 must have the U3 removed (uninstalled) for them to work with an aftermarket headunit with USB. You cannot simply delete or reformat the drive as the U3 software is on a different partition. You have to use their uninstall program to get it off the drive.

Shawn