Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

restoring power to a yanked JVC head unit (for cd changer)

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

restoring power to a yanked JVC head unit (for cd changer)

This question is answered

I had a whole stereo system in my 2003 VW Passat wagon (mostly from Crutchfield). Everything worked perfectly and it made driving the car great. Unfortunately, I got hit from behind and the car has now been deemed a total loss. Before the insurance company fully took it to their salvage yard, I was able to remove all the custom stereo components I put in it including a JVC head unit, JVC CD changer, SIRIUS tuner, bluetooth, Profile amp & Polk speakers. I plan to hopefully put it all in a new vehicle if possible.

One thing I forgot to do before taking it all out was to remove the 12-disc CD magazine from the changer. The JVC head unit is a KD-AR880 & the changer is a CH-X1500. I have read in the changer manual how you can manually eject the 12disc magazine with some hole or something, but I was hoping maybe I could temporarily restore power to the KD-AR880 so I could then connect the CH-X1500 to it to simply eject the magazine properly. I'm sure there is probably a CD stuck in the player too so that is why I am thinking ejecting it via the head unit might be a better option.

In my VW Passat, power was provided to the KD-AR880 via the red wire that I then had connected to a fuse in the fuse box. I happen to keep this special red wire that has the fuse connector on the end of it. I was thinking maybe I could simply connect it the same way in one of my other vehicles and through their fuse box. Just long enough to get the CD magazine out properly.

Our other vehicles are a 1994 Nissan pickup and a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Is this possible with these cars? If so, do I have to be careful on which fuse I connect it to? Or is there maybe more to it than just this. Or could I possibly provide power temporarily to the JVC receiver some other way?

[edited by: mcf57 at 9:37 AM (GMT -5) on Mon, Sep 20 2010]
Verified Answer
  • This is not really recommended, but if all you want to do is get your CD magazine back out ...

(well, personally, I would use the screwdriver hole method, but ....)

• Connnect all bus cables between the changer and the head unit.
    • Ensure all speaker wires on the JVC head unit are individually taped off.
    • Twist the red and yellow wires on the JVC head unit together with a little bit of bare wire showing.
    • Strip a bit of insulation off the black ground wire on the JVC head unit.
    • Get a friend to help you.
    • Pop the hood of the Nissan pickup (preferably).
    • Hold the black wire on the negative battery terminal with one hand and the red/yellow wire on the positive battery terminal with the other hand.
    • Get the remaining person to press the eject buttons (including the CD in the head unit if there might be one).
    • Take the wires off the battery terminals.
    • Mission Accomplished!!!

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • This is not really recommended, but if all you want to do is get your CD magazine back out ...

(well, personally, I would use the screwdriver hole method, but ....)

• Connnect all bus cables between the changer and the head unit.
    • Ensure all speaker wires on the JVC head unit are individually taped off.
    • Twist the red and yellow wires on the JVC head unit together with a little bit of bare wire showing.
    • Strip a bit of insulation off the black ground wire on the JVC head unit.
    • Get a friend to help you.
    • Pop the hood of the Nissan pickup (preferably).
    • Hold the black wire on the negative battery terminal with one hand and the red/yellow wire on the positive battery terminal with the other hand.
    • Get the remaining person to press the eject buttons (including the CD in the head unit if there might be one).
    • Take the wires off the battery terminals.
    • Mission Accomplished!!!

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• so, its basically a direct connection to my Nissan truck's battery, right? This does make me a little nervous. Maybe I will just try the screwdriver hole method as mentioned in the manual. However, what about the CD that might be in the playback area? Will that somehow come out as well with the screwdriver method? Or will that be sort of stuck in there until I can get it reconnected to the JVC receiver somehow?

One other possibility I thought of that might work (but is probably a real pain) is to temporarily use my Nissan's stereo "area". I say area because I had its OEM factory radio replaced back in 2002 with a Pioneer cassette deck receiver (yea, I know, cassette  Stick out tongue but its still serving its purpose). Anyway, I guess if I clipped its wire harness/adapter and some how tied it to the JVC just for a moment so I could get this 12 disc magazine removed, that could be another way to approach it. Like I said though, this sounds like it could be a lot of work compared to the screw driver method?

I take it there really is no great way to use my Odyssey or Nissan's fuse box like I did with the VW then either, right?

[edited by: mcf57 at 7:43 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Sep 20 2010]
  • mcf57
    so, its basically a direct connection to my Nissan truck's battery, right?

Correct.

mcf57
    However, what about the CD that might be in the playback area?

I'm not sure how that works - another option would be carefully opening the case (chassis) of the CD changer and manually removing the CD, but I don't recommend that - (too many little springs you can knock off and have no idea where to put back).

mcf57
    I take it there really is no great way to use my Odyssey or Nissan's fuse box like I did with the VW then either, right?

To make this work, you need 12V power on the KD-AR880's red and yellow wires and ground on the KD-AR880's black wire.  The easiest way, IMHO to accomplish this is under the hood at the car battery, but you could do it at the fuse box or at the Pioneer radio, if that seems more convenient for you.  The thing I don't like about the Pioneer is you likely have to remove the stereo, cut the wires, crimp them to the JVC, disconnect the JVC, crimp them back to the Pioneer, and re-install the Pioneer.  Seems like a lot of effort for a 10-second connection that could be accomplished at the battery.

Hope This Helps!!!