Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2001 Chevy Impala has ingtermittent audio...want to replace the head unit

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2001 Chevy Impala has ingtermittent audio...want to replace the head unit

This question is answered

Hi guys....I have a 2001 Chevy Impala that has OnStar and I seem to be one of the owners who have come across the problem of the radio going in and out; more importantly the audio has become intermittent.

I've read on other boards that this problem is because moisture has come in contact with the connector to the amp.

In any case, I want to replace my system and fix this issue of not being able to get any sound because of moisture to the amp.

I want to go with a JVC or Kenwood double din head unit but does anyone know of what else is needed as far as connections so that I can have OnStar (not that I use it mind u but I think it is part of the communications with the car's computer on some vital matters), radio steering controls and just an overall good sound using the stock amp.

PLEASE HELP!!

Verified Answer
  • You will need a $100 wiring harness adaptor. Call and talk to Crutchfield.

GLH Geeked

All Replies
  • You will need a $100 wiring harness adaptor. Call and talk to Crutchfield.

GLH Geeked

• nbascribe
    and just an overall good sound using the stock amp.

You have an oxy-moron above - generally the stock amp is the weak point of the system in any case and may well be causing the intermittent audio in your specific case.

Ideally you want to bypass the OEM amp when you install the new head unit.

nbascribe
    of what else is needed as far as connections so that I can have OnStar (not that I use it mind u but I think it is part of the communications with the car's computer on some vital matters), radio steering controls

Okay - a few things to clarify ....

• You need the $100 adapter to retain OnStar.
    • You do not need to retain OnStar, but GM runs a lot of info through the head unit - with or without OnStar.  I think much of this is retained even if you don't use the interface/adapter, but the adapter makes wiring things up much easier.  I recommend keeping the factory head unit around in case you want to change a setting regardless of how you connect the new radio.
    • Generally you will need an additional $75 adapter to keep the steering wheel controls.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs