Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

How to remove Kenwood detachable face stereo unit?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

How to remove Kenwood detachable face stereo unit?

• My girlfriend's Kenwood detachable face car stereo won't turn on anymore. I suspect that it might be a blown fuse located behind the stereo unit. I tried to remove the unit, but have had much difficulty attempting to do so.

Do I need a DIN removal tool? I was looking at some online, and they specify that they are for Ford, Mercury, VW, Audi, Mazda, Porsche, and Saab factory radios. Well, my girlfriends car is a Honda, and the Kenwood is definitely not factory.

The Crutchfield DIN tool does not specify automobile models, but does indicate that they are for factory radios.

Can anyone advise before I order a DIN removal tool?

Thanks in advance.

• You can't use a DIN removal tool - no holes to put them in - don't order one.

What is the make of the Kenwood?  What is the year and model of the Honda?

Kenwood stereos come with removal tools - thin blades that release the catches that hold it in.  (Assuming the unit is mounted to a DIN cage, not screwed to a bracket).

In the manual these are shown on page 29 and 32.

These might be in the glove box or she might have them if she had the stereo installed (it wasn't in the car when she bought it).

If the radio had a mounting kit (her car had an oversized radio and a kit was needed to fit a standard one, newer Hondas likely have this, but older ones likely don't), it is often easier just to carefully remove the entire kit, DIN cage, and radio as an assembly (hopefully without breaking the plastic retaining tabs).

If there is no kit, you need to remove trim pieces to see behind the radio and see if it is bolted in or uses a DIN cage.

If it uses the DIN cage, you MIGHT be able to cut some thin sheet metal to make your own removal keys, or you might convice a car stereo shop to pop the radio out for free (most installers will have an assortment of keys for situations like this).

HTH!!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for the reply.

She has a 96 Honda Civic. I pulled off a small panel next to the head unit, and could see that it is mounted in a sleeve that's about a third of the depth of the unit. Is this a DIN cage?

I can barely reach the back of the head unit, and wiggle it around. It doesn't feel like it's bolted in anywhere. I'm pretty sure it is somehow clipped into the DIN cage.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a removal key, but I'll check her glove box later tonight. Going to a car stereo shop sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

• acidic:
    She has a 96 Honda Civic.

According to CF, the 96 Civic uses this installation kit.  If you see something like that, it's possible you can move the whole assembly (kit, DIN cage, and HU) out as one piece, likely by prying with a flat-blade screwdriver (carefully) and pushing from behind.

OTOH, my daughter has a 1994 Civic and there was no adapter for the standard DIN stereo, so the CF kit might not be accurate, the installer might not have used one, or the DIN tabs might extend past the kit, in which case that method is SOL.

I pulled off a small panel next to the head unit, and could see that it is mounted in a sleeve that's about a third of the depth of the unit. Is this a DIN cage?  I can barely reach the back of the head unit, and wiggle it around. It doesn't feel like it's bolted in anywhere. I'm pretty sure it is somehow clipped into the DIN cage.

That definitely sounds like a DIN cage, and the fact that you can wiggle it indicates it probably is not bolted in.

The DIN cage works as follows:  The cage is inserted in the dash opening and then there are tabs or flaps that are bent outward to keep the cage from pulling out.  Then the HU is slid into the cage and clips (usually on the side of the cage) hold the HU in place.

If you want to save going to a shop, you have a couple of other options:

If you can remove enough of the trim, you might be able to check the fuse (it might be inline in the power or memory wire or it might plug into the back of the radio) without pulling the HU out of the dash at all.

If you can see the side of the DIN cage, you might be able to see the retaining clips and maybe use a small jeweler's screwdriver or piece of metal coat hanger to pull them outward.  You will need to release both clips and one side might be by feel only, but if you can see the cage it is a LOT easier than trying to use sheetmetal from the front of the radio.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a removal key, but I'll check her glove box later tonight. Going to a car stereo shop sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ask her about it to - often you'll get "The guy gave me this stuff when I bought the car, but I didn't know what it was so I put it in an envelope in the kitchen drawer".

But you may end up going to a stereo shop.  Actually, I don't know why nobody sells replacement keys, as most people lose the originals, or if the buy the car second hand, it never had them anyway ...

TIP:  When I bought the radio for the Civic, I bought a display model without the keys.  I ended up buying a metal "For Sale" sign and using tin snips to cut out replacement keys that would work.  A lot easier to do when the DIN cage is out of the car as well, but at least I know I can remove the radio if I ever have to, and you might be able to do this with the HU out before you install it again.

HTH!!!!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks for your thorough reply. She knows nothing about the key, and I haven't had time to mess with anything more yet (we've both been really busy).

The panel I removed was pretty small, and I was barely able to fit my left hand in. I tried feeling for a fuse on the back of the HU, but could only reach one corner with my fingertips. I even tried to pull some of the harness out to check for an inline fuse, but there wasn't enough slack in the wiring.

Probably this weekend, I'll see if I can see where the HU clips into the DIN cage. If I can't figure it out, then I think I'd rather just let a car stereo shop deal with, as long as they quote me a reasonable fee.

Thanks again!

• A bit late now - but you might also want to check the main fuses behind the dash if you haven't already, in case only one of those blew and the radio is fine.

• To add to TigerHeli's reply.

Switched Power Fuse - #28 (Radio) - Driver's side dash panel fuse box.

Constant Power Fuse - #47 (Backup) - Passenger's side under-hood fuse box.

FYI - We are getting closer and closer to having our vehicle wiring available online in our Knowledgebase. I will post an announcement as soon as it happens.

Shawn