Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Determining positive and negative speaker output from head unit.

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Determining positive and negative speaker output from head unit.

• Is there a way to determine positive and negative speaker outputs from the head unit. I'm working with a lot of non color coded wires. Would I damage the radio if i probed the speaker wires with a multimeter?
  • What kind of HU, and is it correctly hooked up now?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• The head unit is hooked up correctly but the speaker wires comming from the HU have been spliced. I want to test them at the rear of the vehicle for positive and negative output. I'm using the high level inputs on two Rockford Fosgate amps and don't want to hook a neg. to pos.
  • sandman:
    The head unit is hooked up correctly but the speaker wires comming from the HU have been spliced. I want to test them at the rear of the vehicle for positive and negative output.

If the HU is hooked correctly now - this is tough to explain, but - Let's say at the RF speaker you have a red and a black wire connected at the speaker and the red wire is spliced to a blue wire and the black is spliced to a yellow wire which runs to the HU.  Unplug the wires from the HU and use a 1.5V battery and connect the positive wire to the blue wire and the negative to the yellow wire.  If the speaker cone moves out (toward you), the blue wire (and red to the speaker) is positive and the other pair are negative.  If the speaker cone moves in (away from you), the blue and red wires are negative and the other pair are positive. 

I'm using the high level inputs on two Rockford Fosgate amps and don't want to hook a neg. to pos.

It's not that big a deal, these are alternating current wires and the neg and pos refer to phasing.  I've read you can hook neg to pos and pos to neg (throughout the system) and it will sound fine.  You don't want neg-pos on the left and pos-pos on the right b/c then the sound waves from the two speakers will be out of phase and tend to cancel each other out, but that's the only disadvantage.

IOW, it's not like you are hooking GND and 12VDC backward to an electronic circuit where you could fry microprocessors.

Hope This Helps!!! 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• They say you should learn something new every day.  I guess I'm good for today! Thank's TigerHeli!