Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm rated reveiver

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm rated reveiver

• Would there be any problem using a pair of 2 ohm speakers (Infinity Kappa 693.7I) with either the Pioneer DEH-1900MP (4 or 8 ohm) or Alpine CDE-9842 (4 ohm) receivers?  Thanks for the help.
  • Unfortunately, I don't know. . .

Generally, running two ohms with a receiver designed for 4-ohm load would double the wattage of the amp.  Not a problem for the Infinity's, but the caveat I have always heard was "if the amp is 2-ohm stable", and nothing tells me these are.  Running 8-ohm speakers with a 4-ohm amp halves the power output, but otherwise doesn't cause problems, AFAIK.

What you could do is connect another pair of 2-ohm speakers or 4-ohm speakers on the same channel to give you 4 or 6-ohm impedance, respectively.

Another option would be to connect a 2-ohm stable amplifier to the pre-amp outputs of the radio and use this to drive the Infinity's.

One thing - you are basically looking at budget radio's and some of the most expensive 6x9's available.  I assume you already have the Infinity's or if this is for a new purchase, I would just look at some less expensive 4-ohm speakers.

Anyone else know for sure if those receivers are 2-ohm capable?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• This thread implies they might work okay. http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/thread/1623.aspx

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Thanks, I appreciate the advice.  I've heard the Infinitys were such good speakers, and would make any radio sound good.  I was thinking the "budget" Pioneer and Alpine units would have similar sound quality as their more expensive units, just not all the bells and whistles. (Like satellite, ipod, high def, etc.)