Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Pioneer and Kenwood USB HU File Organization

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Pioneer and Kenwood USB HU File Organization

• I have a question regarding Pioneer vs. Kenwood headunits in their relation to the ease of file browsing using a USB thumbdrive.  Specifically, I was looking at the DEH-P6000UB and the KDC-X792 for their USB options.  The music on my computer is organized as thus:

C:\Genre\Artist\Album\01xxx.mp3

My main concern is that do these headunits read folder names just as it is listed in windows explorer? I don't want the HU to display "folder 1" in place of "genre" for example.  Also, on these HUs, is it as easy as selecting the genre folder, press enter, then scroll down to the artist folder, press enter, then select an album, press enter, and then start playing the album easy as that?

I have no interest in random play, or selecting individual tracks.  All my music is by album so I just want to search from genre, then artist, than album.

• andyouandi:
    My main concern is that do these headunits read folder names just as it is listed in windows explorer?

Yes, they both display the folder names, but only the first 16 characters or so. The folder names only scroll when you are using the main display, not while you are browsing through your files.

Also, on these HUs, is it as easy as selecting the genre folder, press enter, then scroll down to the artist folder, press enter, then select an album, press enter, and then start playing the album easy as that?

Yes, it's easy as that!

I should tell you that the Kenwood sorts files and folders alphabetically while the Pioneer sorts files and folder in the order they were added to the drive. The Kenwood however, takes a lot longer to load the drive when you first turn on the head unit, about 20 seconds compared to five.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado

Kenwood eXcelon | Diamond Audio | Kicker | RAAMaudio

• And there is a free program called DriveSort that can sort the Pioneer files alphabetically if you go with Pioneer.

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs