Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus. What now?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus. What now?

• I have a 2005 ford taurus and its factory radio isnt a radio at all, but a well spread-out display of controls that lead to a unit in the trunk.  As far as anyone I have spoken to, replacing it with an aftermarket anything is impossible but I refuse to give up.  An underdash conversion kit is out of the question also as the design just doesn't allow it.  If anyone has any ideas please post, I am desperate.
  • I hear you there I have an '06' Taurus SE and I want to replace the entire system and all I get is get a cd changer  I want to add a nice  system  any Ideas out there 

HELP !!

[edited by: RENEGADE 63 at 12:07 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, May 20 2007]
    Everything Louder Than Everything Else
  • We don't recommend replacing the factory radio in this vehicle. Installing a new stereo will disable the front passenger's airbag warning light. But.....This sounds like what u need......
  •  Kenwood KOS-V500 $499.99

Factory system expansion controller

Want to upgrade the sound system in a vehicle with a hard-to-replace factory stereo or lease restrictions? Kenwood's CarPortal KOS-V500 lets you improve audio performance and incorporate the extra gear you want into your mobile audio/video system, while keeping the stock radio in the dash.

Built-in amplifier
    The CarPortal KOS-V500 includes the same built-in amplifier that you'll find in a Kenwood in-dash receiver, so you'll enjoy better sound quality than your factory radio can supply. You can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs if you want to add amps to drive aftermarket speakers or subwoofers

»  factory system A/V expansion controller with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
        »  lets you upgrade the sound system in a vehicle with a hard-to-replace factory stereo or lease restrictions
        »  wireless remote

2 B 1 A S K 1
  • i have seen in Car Audio Magizen where there is a company that offers adapters for hard to fit vehicles...it basicly lets you keep all the knobs and stuff while turing it into a din size opening....

does anyone know this compay name?

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • http://www.scosche.com/scosche_caraudio.aspx?CategoryID=5&ItemID=FD1380B

this is for a 2000+ ford tarus.....

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • Spruce:

I don't know that that will work.  If you go to "What fits my car" on Scosche's site, that is listed for a 2003 Taurus with rotary controls.  If you select 2004 with rotary controls - antenna adapters are listed, but that kit is gone.  If you select 2005, you can't even select a Taurus.  Metra doesn't have anything for the 2005 Taurus either.

That kit might be a good starting point if someone wanted to get creative, though. . .

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• TigerHeli:
    Spruce:

I don't know that that will work.  If you go to "What fits my car" on Scosche's site, that is listed for a 2003 Taurus with rotary controls.  If you select 2004 with rotary controls - antenna adapters are listed, but that kit is gone.  If you select 2005, you can't even select a Taurus.  Metra doesn't have anything for the 2005 Taurus either.

That kit might be a good starting point if someone wanted to get creative, though. . .

isnt this the point of working with aftermarket audio equipment...getting the general idea started then makeing things look cool?

oh by the way i am sorry for the bad info...i just checked out the site and seen the year modles....this is my fault...thanks for catching that..

[edited by: Spruce at 4:57 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, May 22 2007]
  • if i can remeber right back to my dealership days...the panels where the same with just different knobs...one way to see would be (first check the return policy) order one and see if it fits...if it doesnt send i back....Option #2 go to a junk yard and see if any one has another panel just as you have.  then get out the trusty hack saw or angle grinder and make one that will work....
  • Spruce:
    isnt this the point of working with aftermarket audio equipment...getting the general idea started then makeing things look cool?

Spruce,

You missed my point here. This car looks like a total PITA to wire up. The fact that neither CF, Metra, or Scosche have a kit for it and someone else posted that replacing the factory stereo disabled the passenger side airbag warning (WTF???), makes me think this.

That kit might work, but it also sounds like it might come down to leaving the factory stereo wired up including the speakers and running a long harness to have it turned off in the trunk and then putting a new system in the dash (or figuring out which circuits run through the factory HU, and what resistors, IC's, caps, etc. you need to take their place, which might be more difficult.).

That's what I meant by a starting point.

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 8:37 AM (GMT -5) on Wed, May 23 2007]

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I have checked  Circuit City and they  have a Metra kit  for the dash  but It would be my luck I take the radio out and the anti theft  kicks in air bags go off  and all this , Because I want a nice sound system  to Pump to Motorhead and relax to  Beethoven

Any advice here is very helpful

Thank You all

Rob

2006  Taurus SE

• I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. teddy2789 is definitely headed in the right direction with the Kenwood KOS-V500 suggestion. With all of the hard work OEM's are putting into full integration (read: making after market installs a total pain Wink ) in newer model vehicles, a new breed of audio solutions are starting to hit the market. We have coined this product category "Factory System Enhancers" on our product website. The idea here is to leave the in-dash OEM equipment, and to use a processor to equalize the factory radios audio output to run to after market amplifiers as well as allow expansion of brand name interfaces and options in some cases (ie: Satellite radio, Bluetooth, iPod, etc.). I have yet to use the Kenwood KOS-V500 option, but I have had a chance to experiment with the Alpine PXE-H650 Imprint Sound Processor. I have to admit, I was totally blown away by this products capability to take an otherwise horrible audio signal, and turn it into the level of quality you would expect from a high end after market receiver. In the case of the 2005 Taurus and other similar models, this is a great avenue to explore.

[edited by: Malcolm at 6:50 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, May 22 2007]
    www.crutchfield.com/Malcolm
  • I have a 2000 Taurus and the instal wasn't that dificult.

You have to get an aftermarket dash display, and then run the wires to the tuner in the back of the trunk. It's a lengthy process but, the sound quality that you can push through the Taurus is unbelievable.

Right now my set up is an Alpine Type R 10'' and an alpine head unit ( I don't remember the exact one) and it is a decent system

• 2000 install wasn't that difficult, 2004 and up is.  No offense. Yes

• Thx Admin
  • As the originator of this thread, I would like to be more specific with my problem.  I have full intentions of disabling the passenger airbag warning light.  This does not disable the airbag, only the light that goes on and off when some weight is detected via sensor inside the passenger seat.   I don't need a light to tell me someone is sitting beside me.  A Metra or Scoche kit will do just fine.  However what is not known to me is when I remove the radio control/temp control panel, is there going to be a space available to allow an aftermarket radio since what comes from the factory is little more than a circuit board of controls that lead to the trunk via wiring harness to the real radio receiver unit which is tucked behind a carpeted panel just underneath the external antena.  Thank you all for a wonderful response so far