Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Jensen vm9312hd ipod compatibility ...antyhing better?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Jensen vm9312hd ipod compatibility ...antyhing better?

• I hooked up the Jensn VM9312HD last night (actually the second unit since the first only worked for about 5 minutes).  The HD radio and DVD worked great but the iPod connectivity was terrible.  It took 5 minutes for the stereo to initiate a connection with either of my ipods and once it did connect it couldn't find any songs.  Playing the ipod itself let sound come through the speakers, but controlling it via the touchscreen wasn't possible.  It kept reporting "no songs" and often took long pauses.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I kind of expected a lackluster experience because the 9312 is at such a low price compared to other units + accessories.  So far I don't plan on keeping it.  On my drive to work it wouldn't even connect to my ipod with enought time for me to listen to one song :(

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them  I know everything is hooked up correctly and both ipods are running the most recent firmware.

What I really want is ipod like functionality on a bigger screen and I doubt I'll be able to find it.  However if anyone knows if the Kenwood, Clarion or other (more expensive) touch screen devices integrate better ipod controls and dont' require 5 minutes to sync I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

• Hello isosceles,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your Jensen receiver. That certainly isn't typical with what you're describing. Obviously since this is an entry-level unit you won't receive the same performance as you would from a higher-end unit, however you might want to contact product support if you purchased that through Crutchfield. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Regarding a replacement model with better iPod connectivity, Kenwood makes a great unit at a reasonable price. The KVT-512 DVD delivers superb iPod control, excellent sound and plenty of ways to expand with Bluetooth, HD radio, etc. I definitely recommend checking it out.

I hope this helps!

http://www.crutchfield.com/Ace
  • Hello isosceles,

I'm sorry that no one has gotten back to you on here about this problem. I guees no one else has run into the same things that you are experiencing. It seems like there could be a couple of different problems with this setup. If your are using the jLink cable, then it is not compatible with 1st or 2nd generation iPods or the iPod shuffle. I did not see anywhere if you mentioned a specific generation, so that may be the problem. Secondly, you could have a defective jLink cable. Because it is not working with either ipod, that leads me to think that it is in the cable itself.

I would suggest trouble-shooting with a technician. If you bought that through Crutchfield, please call us at (800) 955-9091. If not, then you should give Jensen a call at (800) 323-4815.

Hope you get it straightened out and please post back if you can figure out the problem.

• I am having a similar problem with the Jensen VM8013HD I received today. Everything works fine, except the iPod control. The head unit will control the iPod, but the sound that comes out is muffled and so faint it's almost impossible to hear. I've tried 3 different iPods and all had the same issue. I tried calling Jensen, but their customer support number was closed and didn't say when it would be open again.