Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

JVC Arsenal - speakers stopped working

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

JVC Arsenal - speakers stopped working

• Everything was working like a champ, now I get nothing. A few nights ago the wife and I were driving home, sound worked great. Next morning I  get in the truck, no sound. I pulled the deck and played around with some wires, got the sound going again for a few minutes then stopped working again. Now when i turn the deck on I hear a faint pop noise just once from my front speaker, and then nothing. I have a 1999 Tahoe, I do have a factory installed amp, and I did run the remote to the amp. As I said before the speakers were all working and sounding perfect, and then this happens. Do I have a problem with the dash harness? I can't imagine it's a fuse because it worked for a while then stopped, but started working again for a while longer before it stopped again. I have the remote wire to the factory amp (dont know where the amp is, just going off the factory dash wiring harness)

Any help would be *GREATLY* appreciated. Thank you so much!

• It's either a wiring problem or an internal intermittent short in the deck itself.

How old is the stereo? 

Triple-check your wiring first!!!

Try connecting one speaker per channel individually and see if that helps you isolate it. 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Okay so a new addition to the saga. yesterday after taking out my new deck (it's about 3 months old to answer your question) I put back in the factory deck just to double check and make sure I was giving the correct information. for some reason, this time the sound did NOT work with the factory or the new deck. I believe that would mean the problem is isolated to the dash wiring harness or beyond, not to do with the deck itself. So my question is this, how can all 6 speakers stop working? is there a fuse located somewhere for the speakers? I have a 1999 Tahoe, i know there is a factory amp in it, but I thought the amp only controlled the back 4 speakers. Where is the amp located? I dont know what else to do! I checked all the wiring on the harness to the new deck, everything is solid, like i said even with the factory deck in, the power comes on but no sound!!!
  • Here is the wiring info for your Tahoe.

Now it is sounding more like a fuse or problem with the factory amp (which is supposed to be under the driver's seat), but as you said, the amp is only supposed to drive the rear speakers, so that might not be the entire issue.

Anyone else have any ideas? 

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Every car place I call says they want me to bring it in so they can charge me way too much money.  If all 6 speakers stop working, is there any way it could be the factory amp? I've searched for the amp, some say it's under the seat, some say it's under the dash, and others still say that it is in the back under the wheel well plastic thing.

All I know is the power to the deck (factory and aftermarket) both work just fine, when the car first turns on and you power on the radio, you hear a very faint pop noise coming from what sounds like only the front speaker ... but I'm still clueless.

Thank you so much for the help this far ... i really appreciate it.

• briancobabe:
    Every car place I call says they want me to bring it in so they can charge me way too much money.

No car place is going to tell you how to fix it over the phone for free.  It doesn't do anything for them, and it's a liability issue if you do what they say and fry your deck (or worse one of the factory harnesses). 

If all 6 speakers stop working, is there any way it could be the factory amp?

Maybe - but the info I saw said only the rear speakers were amped - as did your data.

Two things to try:

• Pull one of the speakers out (any of them - hopefully one that works).  Disconnect all the speaker wires (or find another JVC harness) and connect it to each amp channel directly at the HU (before the factory amp) and make sure it still plays on all channels (RF, LF, RR, LR).
    • Put the speaker back.  Connect only the LF JVC speaker wire to the LF factory speaker wires - see if the LF speaker plays.  Repeat for the other speakers until you find one that does not play.
    HTH!!! - let us know what you find out. 

• Alright I think I may have put together an idea that makes sense.

When I installed the JVC deck, I first did not connect the remote because I didn't know my Tahoe had a factory amp in it. When I played music, only sound came from the front two door speakers, and very faint sound came from the very back 4x10's in the cab of the truck. The two rear door speakers did not make any sound. In researching what I have, I think what I've found is that there was enough current from the deck to go through the amp and still make the speakers work... 

All 6 speakers in the truck ARE powered by the factory amp, so I think what the problem is, is the factory amp is blown. It was going in and out a little bit before, speakers not working sometimes then working again, so I'm pretty positive this is the problem. Now I need to figure out where the factory amp is, because everyone says something different and I've not found it under the dash or under any of the seats.

Anyone know what fuse goes to factory amp in a 1999 Tahoe, and where the amp itself is?

PS, thank you so much for the help, it's truly appreciated.

• Sounds like you are on the right track.

CF says the radio uses fuses 17 and 19.  I assume one of those is the amp.  (Of course, they also said the amp is under the driver seat).

You can't just pull the fuse and have the signal go through the amp - you will need to bypass it.

Without stating the obvious - if you either follow the HU wires backward or the speaker wires forward, you will eventually get to the amp. Devil 

An easier solution might be to just run new wires from the HU to the non-working speakers and cap the existing wires and splice in where you know you are beyond the amp. 

• Tried both of those fuses yesterday, got nothing. All 6 speakers aren't working, from what I heard speaking with a professional install guy all 6 speakers DO run off the amp. the reason I was getting sound out of the front two speakers before I ran the remote line is because there was enough current going thru the amp from the HU to run the front two speakers. the very back two (not in the back doors, in the back of the cab) speakers had faint sound as well, and now nothing.

I'm like 99% sure it's the factory amp, and I dont mind replacing it, I just need to find the **** thing now, heh.

• briancobabe:
    I'm like 99% sure it's the factory amp, and I dont mind replacing bypassing it, I just need to find the **** thing now, heh.

The JVC HU likely puts out more power than the factory amp - they just left the amp in there for convenience (if you meant replacing it with a factory amp).  If you meant replacing it with an aftermarket amp - that would sound even better but you'd need to upgrade your speakers as well. 

• I'm not entirely sure that I'm explaining myself well enough =P
    I put the HU in myself, so there wasn't anyone that left the amp in or whatever, cause I installed it and I've not been able to find the amp. Looked in every place suggested, haven't seen anything.

I'm definitely game for getting a new aftermarket amp and speakers, but I dont like the idea of paying someone else to install. If I can just locate the aftermarket amp I am good to go, the rest of the install is easy.

SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE AMP IS!!! lol.

TigerHeli bro I truly appreciate your help man. It's awesome that you're willing to take the time to talk this out with me, you're definitely helping me to figure this stuff out =P

• and one other thing, I actually took my HU into a JVC certified warranty people, they're working on it now to see if there are any problems with the HU itself. They'll obviously test the speaker outputs, so if everything is good with the HU itself, then it's something from the dash wiring harness to the speakers that is acting up. a long time ago, when I first got my truck (it was used) for like a few hours maybe one day the stereo stopped working, then came back on again. That's why i'm also thinking maybe the amp, because perhaps what happened months ago was it starting to overheat or something.
  • briancobabe:
    I'm not entirely sure that I'm explaining myself well enough =P I put the HU in myself, so there wasn't anyone that left the amp in or whatever, cause I installed it and I've not been able to find the amp.

I confused you ...

Left the amp in there for convenience -

When you have a factory amp in the system and you replace the HU, there are two ways to handle the amp:

• You can bypass the amp, which means running new speaker wire or finding the amp and using a harness to connect the inputs and outputs.
    • You can use an Integration adapter on the harness so you can feed the HU output to the amp input, which means everything is done behind the dash, so it's more convenient.

Do you have a DMM?

If so - for example - pull the HU out of the dash (unplug it) and pull the LR speaker.  Connect the + and - speaker leads together with a jumper wire at the speaker, and then test for resistance at the LR+ and LR- leads at the HU.  If you get zero resistance, there is no amp in the system, and now you have to figure out what the problem is, b/c it's not the amp.  If you get fairly high resistance, there is an amp, and you are back to either bypassing it or running new speaker wire to cut it out of the loop.