Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

2 ohm or 4 ohm? and what kind of amp?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

2 ohm or 4 ohm? and what kind of amp?

• My friend is plannin on getting two ALPINE SWR-1242D, but i dont know if he should get the ALPINE SWR-1222D. Does it matter since he hasn't bought his amp yet? And I also have no idea what amp i would get to power either of the subs. Any help please?
  • Is he getting one or two subs - it somewhat matters as the choice of subs determines what type of amp will work with them.

Like this:

One Sub:

SWR-1222D - can run at 4-ohms or 1-ohm - There aren't any 500W 1-ohm amps, Class D amps that are 900W at 2-ohms, 500W at 4-ohms are expensive, 2-channel bridged amps can work and are reasonable.

SWR-1242D - can run at 2-ohms or 8-ohms - preferred, something like an MPR-M500 among others would be perfect.

Two subs:

SWR-1242D - can run at 4-ohms or 1-ohm - Profile AP2000 would be good for 4-ohms, Hifonics BXI-1208D or Sundown SAE-1000D would be good (and preferred for 1-ohm), probably most cost effective.

SWR-1222D - can be run basically at 2-ohms.  Alpine MRP-M1000 or similar would be good.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• yeah, we're going to run two of them. so i figure we need to put about 1200 watts at the most through them right? But can those 1242's be ran at 1-ohm?
  • Hopefully this will help:

mikey91:
    yeah, we're going to run two of them. so i figure we need to put about 1200 watts at the most through them right? But can those 1242's be ran at 1-ohm?

Yes, I wouldn't go over (or much under 1200 Watts RMS).

Yes, you can run them at 1-ohm:

From your PM:

If I got two SWR-1222D, how would I be able to use the Alpine MRP-M1000? It says that I could use a 2ohm sub or parellel two 4 ohm subs to make a 2 ohm load. So if I were to use the 2ohm, would i just wire them seperate, then put both into the speaker terminals? Please help, I am so lost when it comes to what amp to choose for Ohm loads.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg
    Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I plan on buying the Hifonics BXI-1208-D this week. It really is quite cost effective, thanks. It comes with a bass knob though, should I even use it?
  • You want the 1242D's then.

Regarding the bass knob - it is handy if you like to adjust the bass volume a lot for different tracks/music types.

If you just want to turn the bass OFF sometimes, you can use a toggle switch on the remote wire to the sub amp.

If you don't like the looks of having the switch, you can often control the subwoofer level through the HU, but sometimes the setting is buried in two or three levels of menus.

It just depends if you will use it, and what your other options are.

Hope This Helps!!!

• what is your opinion of the Hifonics amp we were talking about and the MTX Jackhammer JH1200? cuz i want a really good amp, and i haven't really seen any reviews for the Hifonics, and i know the MTX is pretty good. If the Hifonics is a good reliable amp and has good a low pass and high pass filter than that is most def. the one i'll get.
  • mikey91:
    what is your opinion of the Hifonics amp we were talking about and the MTX Jackhammer JH1200? cuz i want a really good amp, and i haven't really seen any reviews for the Hifonics, and i know the MTX is pretty good.

I didn't realize the MTX was 1-ohm stable and CF carries it, so I have to watch what I say... Devil

MTX has a great reputation and I'm sure it is a good amp.  It is also at least double the street price of the Hifonics, I believe.  There have been members on here that said the Hifonics worked better and was preferred over the Kenwood amp they replaced with it.  All that aside, if you really want a high-quality amp for the subs and the MTX price isn't scaring you away, there is a member that really likes the Sundown SAE-1000D, so I would look at that next.

If the Hifonics is a good reliable amp and has good a low pass and high pass filter than that is most def. the one i'll get.

I haven't checked, but I would be amazed if it lacked a low pass filter.

Exactly why would you want a high-pass filter on a subwoofer amp? Devil

Hope This Helps!!!

[edited by: TigerHeli at 12:08 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Nov 19 2008]

• hahaha, i dont. i just realized what i said. just goes to show why i am here, cuz i hate amps with a passion cuz there's sooo much that you have to know before you buy. Thanks for all the help man, so i think im most def goin with the brutus
  • so with those alpine type r 12's what kind of box would you get? because i want good quality, but i havent ever used a bandpass or sealed box.
  • Box type depends on what you listen to, but see this thread.

Hope This Helps!!!

• this kinda has no relation to my subject, but im already here. do you know if there is a way i can possibly make my rearview mirror stop shaking down from when my subs hit?
  • I think someone asked that before, ummmmn,

• Play your music quieter.
    • Borrowing the line from the movie "Gumball Rally" (or "Cannonball Run") (???) "What is behind me - is of no importance!"

Short answer is "No, I don't".

Anyone else have suggestions?

• hmm, well then. I spose I'll just super glue the ever loving crap out of it and hope it works.
  • I read that more super glue doesn't work as well as a little.

There is actual mirror adhesive, but not sure what to do if that isn't holding.

Hope This Helps!!!