Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Connecting a svc sub and a dvc sub from monoblock amp???

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Connecting a svc sub and a dvc sub from monoblock amp???

• Hi

Have recently purchased a pionner 7300m mono block amp to run to 4-ohm 12" pioneer subs now at the time i was under the impression they were both dvc subs but it turns out one is just a svc

So my question is can i run the two together from the mono block?? i was thinking of connecting the same as 2 dvc subs in series would this be ok??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mathew

• Need more info.

The amp puts out 360W at 2-ohms.

If one sub is SVC 4-ohm, and the second is DVC 2-ohm, you simply wire the DVC sub is series, and then wire the two subs in parallel to give a 2-ohm load.

If the second sub is DVC 4-Ohm, basicall you have problems - the second sub can only be configured as 8-ohm or 2-ohm, and would then give you wiring loads of :

1.333 (4-ohm and 2-ohm in parallel)
    2.666 (4-ohm and 8-ohm in parallel)
    6-ohm (4-ohm and 2-ohm in series)
    12-ohm (4-ohm and 8-ohm in series).

If it is DVC 2-ohm, I can walk you through wiring it up.

If it is DVC 4-ohm, the 2.6666 ohm option might work okay. Hard to say. The amp is 4-ohm or 2-ohm stable, so it should put out a little less power than in 2-ohm mode, the problem though is your power is going to
    split with 2/3rds going to the 4-ohm sub and 1/3 going to the DVC sub. In this case, you might be better off swapping out the sub, if that's an option.

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 9:43 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jun 19 2007]

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Ok have gone out and purchased a second DVC sub (pioneer 306DVC now i have 2 the same) so this part is sorted....but

The instructions say these subs are dual 4ohm nominal, on the box it read 2 ~ 8ohm, and on the actual sub at the wire terminals it reads 4 ohm 

now given that the amp is 2 ohm stable, what is the best way to connect the subs to the amp (pioneer 7300M)

Is this the best way as it has the 2 ohm draw at the amp, will the subs be ok with the 8ohm load

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?suboptions=Mono%5F2%2D8ohm%2DDVC&amptype=mono

Is there a better way to connect??

Thankyou for all your help

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 9:44 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jun 19 2007]
  • No, that won't work. . . The diagram you referenced is for DVC 8-ohm subs.

You are going to be really mad about this, but if you wanted to present a 2-ohm load to the amplifier, you either wanted a pair of DVC 2-ohm subs, or you could have gotten by with a DVC-2-ohm and the single 4-ohm sub.

Unless you want to swap the new subs out for a pair of either DVC 2-ohm or SVC 4-ohms subs, the best you can do with your current amp is a 4-ohm load and I don't know how well that will power the subs.

Nevermind - You can do it if you connect the subs to the amp in stereo mode: Like This!!!!

The instructions say these subs are dual 4ohm nominal, on the box it read 2 ~ 8ohm, and on the actual sub at the wire terminals it reads 4 ohm

Correct, each VC is 4-ohms, each individual sub is either 2-ohms, or 8-ohms depending on whether you connect the VC's in series or parallel. Running them at 2-ohms on a 2-channel amp is fine. However, if you wanted to connect them both to a single channel, you would need to either run them at 4-ohms or 1-ohm depending on whether you wired the individual subs in series or parallel.

[edited by: Jeff Kitchen at 9:44 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jun 19 2007]

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• I have a 700watt 4ohm SVC, and a 1200watt 2ohm DVC on a 600watt mono. The amp's specs are 300Wrms @ 4ohms and 410Wrms @ 2ohms. What would be the best way to wire these?

• I'm assuming all those are RMS wattage values as those are the only ones that matter - although 600W doesn't make much sense unless the amp is 1-ohm stable.

Anyway - wire the DVC voice coils in series for a 4-ohm load at the sub.  Wire the two subs in parallel for a 2-ohm load at the amp.  The subs will split 410W - which is 29% and 17% of RMS and Crutchfield recommends at least 70% of RMS, but that's about the best you can do.  Running a single sub does a bit better, but not much (The SVC-4-ohm would get 43% of RMS if wired solo).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?