Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Best way to wire my subs to my amp?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Best way to wire my subs to my amp?

• Hi i have an mtx 2160 2 channel amplifier i believe it puts out 80 watts rms x 2 channels at 4 ohms and 160 watts rms x 2 at 2 ohms and i think 425 watts x1 bridged. i am needing to know the best way to wire it to my 2 10 inch JL audio 10w3d4 subs. i have a sealed box. is it ok to bridge the amp and then wire them both to the bridge terminals? i want to make sure i do it the right way and get the most power out of the amp. correct me if i am wrong on the power ratings for the amp im not 100% sure on those numbers. thanks
    system headunit: sony CDX-GT610Ui amps: infinity reference 5761a . Mtx thunder 2160 speakers: front- infinity kappa 50.7 cs rear : infinity kappa 693.7i subs: 2 10" JL audio 10 w3 d4
  • I did some checking and it appears that the subwoofers you have are dual 4 ohm voice coil. Since you want to connect them to a 2 channel amp, then you will use a combiniation of series and parallel wiring and a diagram showing you how on our web site.

I hope this helps!

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul

• I had someone tell me that running those subs with that amp could cause the speakers to catch fire because the amp doesnt fully power them. Is that true? if so should i just run one of the subs and bridge the amp until i get a different amp?
    system headunit: sony CDX-GT610Ui amps: infinity reference 5761a . Mtx thunder 2160 speakers: front- infinity kappa 50.7 cs rear : infinity kappa 693.7i subs: 2 10" JL audio 10 w3 d4
  • Well if you want to believe them then make sure you never have the volume bellow its max.

Pzaul 

[edited by: pzaul at 2:53 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Jun 29 2007]
    Kenwood X491, Epic 150 HO Alternator, 1/0 Gauge Big 3 Sony XM-4S, Hifonics BXi 2006D Clarion SRR1027, Infinity Reference 6022si 2 12" TC-2000's Sealed 1.0 cu per Only 140db w/music: work in progress
  • would i get better bass if i just bridged the amp and ran one sub?
  • No

Pzaul 

Kenwood X491, Epic 150 HO Alternator, 1/0 Gauge Big 3 Sony XM-4S, Hifonics BXi 2006D Clarion SRR1027, Infinity Reference 6022si 2 12" TC-2000's Sealed 1.0 cu per Only 140db w/music: work in progress
  • will the bass be noticeably better if i were to get a more powerful amp ? if so which would u recommend?

thanks for the help 

• Paul:

I did some checking and it appears that the subwoofers you have are dual 4 ohm voice coil. Since you want to connect them to a 2 channel amp, then you will use a combiniation of series and parallel wiring and a diagram showing you how on our web site.

I hope this helps!

I didn't check the specs on your amp, but if they are correct, I would not wire these subs according to this diagram.  Your amp appears to put out about 25% more power bridged than it does in stereo, even to a 2 ohm load.  You want to connect a 4 ohm load to the amp if you are going to bridge it.  Wire each speaker's voice coils in series.  This will make each one 8 ohms.  Wire the two speakers in parallel and you have your 4 ohm load.  Now connect to the amp in bridge mode.

• 160RMSx2 is at 2ohm and 12.5V DC
    320RMSx1 is at 4ohm and 12.5V DC

212RMSx2 is at 2ohm and 14.4V DC
    425RMSx1 is at 4ohm and 14.4V DC

Didnt see it listed on MTX's site, which is rather odd, though it is pretty old.

Pzaul

• Hi

I was wondering how to wire two 12" subs to my new amplifier... the problem is that the subs are 8 ohms and SVC and the amp is a mono block. i was hoping for the most power  available  with the most protection neccesary.   any suggestions?

Amplifier Type : Mono

RMS Power: 400W x 1 @ 4 ohms

Bridged RMS Power: 800W x 1 @ 2 ohms

Subs(2)  8 ohm SVC JL Audio (not sure what kind)

• are you sure that they are svc subs or are you positive they are 8 ohm?
  • Amplifier Type : Mono

Bridged RMS Power: 800W x 1 @ 2 ohms

This statement makes no sense.  How do you bridge a mono amp?  Some mono amplifiers are designed so that if you purchase two of them, you can bridge them together to make one channel, but you don't state what type of amp you have so we can't tell if that is the situation here.  In any case, you appear to only have the one mono amp, so bridging is a non-issue.  Connect the two speakers in parallel to create a 4 ohm load.  This is the best setup you will get from the equipment you have.  If the amp is truly rated for best use at 4 ohms, it will be an ideal use of what you have.

• oh i understand now

the amplifier is an audiobahn A8000t(mono)... and i did have two of them but i sold one.  so i am left with 2 12" JL audio subs ( i think they are W0) and im pretty sure they are 8 ohms.   Which like i said probably isn't a good combination, but i do what i can with what i got

if anyone has any other suggestion on better subs you would recommend for the type of amp i have... please... feel free to help me out a bit. if not thanx for all the help -

• carolinasp3:
    Paul:

I did some checking and it appears that the subwoofers you have are dual 4 ohm voice coil. Since you want to connect them to a 2 channel amp, then you will use a combiniation of series and parallel wiring and a diagram showing you how on our web site.

I hope this helps!

I didn't check the specs on your amp, but if they are correct, I would not wire these subs according to this diagram.  Your amp appears to put out about 25% more power bridged than it does in stereo, even to a 2 ohm load.  You want to connect a 4 ohm load to the amp if you are going to bridge it.  Wire each speaker's voice coils in series.  This will make each one 8 ohms.  Wire the two speakers in parallel and you have your 4 ohm load.  Now connect to the amp in bridge mode.

Ironic as this may seem, we both are correct on the wiring. The MTX 2160 amp outputs 80x2 RMS at 4 ohms, 160x2 RMS at 2 ohms, or 320x1 bridged RMS at 4 ohms. So, connecting one subwoofer to each channel with parallel wiring will cause the amp to output 160 watts RMS to each subwoofer. Also, bridging the amp to a one channel, and then wiring each subwoofer in series and then parallel wire the two subwoofers to the bridged channel on the amp will still give each subwoofer 160 watts RMS (320 watts split between two subwoofers). So, as you can see, there are many ways to wire DVC subwoofers to an amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Paul