Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Bandpass vs Ported (vs sealed?) help

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Bandpass vs Ported (vs sealed?) help

• Hey guys. I ordered 2 12" alpine type R's and Im looking for a box now.   I found a good deal on a dual 12" qlogic bandpass box but I dont know if bandpass is right.  What exactly is the difference?  And is this a good box?

its basically this one but 12"

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044QB2104/Q-Logic-QB-210-4.html

• Bandpass is more thump compared to ported compared to sealed (which is tighter), sealed also can handle more power.

See this thread also.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• What would you reccomend Tiger?

I can get the dual 12 inch bandpass qlogic for $50

or i can get a sealed one locally for about the same price (maybe cheaper)

the alpine type r's are on the way.   

What would you reccomend for the type r's?  sealed? 

• Its all about what you arel ooking for for sound. A bandpass tents to deliver some punch and loud sound but sounds sloppy. Sealed enclosures offer the best punch because when the subs move it changes the pressure in your vehicle and cannot regulate it through a port, so what you get is more "slam". The downfall is that it will use alot more power to produce the same sound if it was in a ported so you will need a larger amplifier to produce the same sound that you could in a ported box. A ported box will give you less thump but much more sound, and like I said it will not need as much power from your ampifier. A bandpass is right between these two box types but the sound quality suffers. Personally I would go with a ported in an open air vehicle such as a wagon, hatchback or SUV. I would go with a sealed enclosure if you are putting the subs in a trunk. Bandpass just sounds horrible

• thanks for savign me $50!!  I looked on youtube for pandpass videos and they sounded ***..
  • Samped:
    What would you reccomend Tiger?

As maxed said - it depends on the sound you are looking for - sealed is better for SQ and bandpass is louder - generally.

I've typically read that sealed had LESS punch than the others - but maxed might be right that it just needs more power and will punch more with the proper amount of power.

He seems to know what he is talking about and I am just going by what others have said, so I can't dispute him.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• if you're going for a small sealed box, get a box with 1cu/ft per sub.  if you want more output, go with a ported box with about 1.5cu/ft per sub, with the port tuned to 28-33hz.  my bassbox software is currently not functional, but i know there has to be people on here that can design this sort of box.  if not, i'll get you one designed.  just send me your email address and any space restraints you may have.
    HU - Eclipse cd8443 (active) FS - RF T162S (135rms to mids, 85rms to tweets) FS Amp - old school RF 400x4
  • Cool i sent you an email if you didnt get it mines samped@comcast.net
  • It's unfortunet that most of the bandpass boxes on the market are a one-size-fits all design - and I believe this is what's given them a bad reputation for the most part. A properly tuned bandpass box can sound excellent though when it's the right specs for the woofer - and is the most efficient (requires the least power) for a given output.

The other consideration when using bandpass is that the sound is more delayed than that of a sealed or ported enclosure - so you'll notice your bass hitting slightly after the actual 'note' from your mid-range - which creates a sort of smearing of sound - which is what most people are complaining about when they say they sound 'sloppy'. The solution is to delay the mid-range signal with a phase shift controller - mostly found in your upper end headunits/amps, or as an extra piece of hardware you add to your signal processing.

You do trade-off frequency range, (similar to ported - be sure you have a sub-sonic crossover) compared to a sealed box, but unless you listen to a lot of classical or organ music, you may not notice the more limited frequency range much. Having a strong mid-bass speaker(s) in addition to your subs would further extend your listening experience (which I'd recommend for any sub-woofer enviroment anyways).

[edited by: n8skow at 12:34 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 11 2009] [edited by: n8skow at 12:32 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 11 2009] [edited by: n8skow at 12:31 PM (GMT -5) on Wed, Mar 11 2009]
  • Um, ALL the sub videos on youtube sound bad...

Samped:
    thanks for savign me $50!!  I looked on youtube for pandpass videos and they sounded ***..