Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Reverse mounting subwoofer..difference?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Reverse mounting subwoofer..difference?

• whats the main ideas for reverse mounting a sub?
  • So you can see the pretty motor structure and magnet. If you were doing a isobaric front to front in a push/pull design you might also have one motor structure appealingly reverse mounted. There are no acoustic benefits to either reverse mounting or normal.

Pzaul 

Kenwood X491, Epic 150 HO Alternator, 1/0 Gauge Big 3 Sony XM-4S, Hifonics BXi 2006D Clarion SRR1027, Infinity Reference 6022si 2 12" TC-2000's Sealed 1.0 cu per Only 140db w/music: work in progress
  • the only benifit i have found with inverting the subs is that you can get a true box size with out having to factor in your motor structure air displacement.  other than that i agaree with pzaul with there are no sound differences that most people can hear.....

but with some subs (audiobahn comes to mind first) they have some really cool designed baskets that look good enough to show off....

so if you want and have the room show your BLING BLING.....

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • if you reverse mount a sub, does the box have to be a certain size? i thought if you reverse mount it, your whole trunk acts as a box.
  • the box can be the same size as the one that you would normanly mount the sub in.  in a way your sub always uses your trunk as a box you will not notice a big difference in the over all sound of the sub+box combo....

Havok Customs Owner/Operator "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are...but we are responsible for what we become."
  • The box should really be a little smaller than normal, by whatever the displacement of the sub is.  Box sizes are calculated by figuring out how big an air chamber the subwoofer needs, then adding the amount of space the sub takes up.  In the case of a reverse mounting, that last part would obviously not be done.

I agree that if you mounted one of these in a trunk, anybody in the car probably wouldn't hear the difference.  I do question whether there is any functional difference.  I'm just theorizing here, but it seems to me that effectively turning the cone inside out and blocking air movement with the magnet structure and spider has to have an effect on efficiency if nothing else, and I highly doubt that it is helping.  If I had a sub with a really pretty spider/magnet assembly and wanted to show it off, I'd put a plexiglass top on the box.

• so it really doesnt matter what size of box if you reverse mount? like if i wanted to not have my trunk filled with 2 big boxes i can just make smaller boxes and reverse mount the subs? cause i know if you would mount the subs normally youd need a certain square footage. like 1.2 or somehting. im just wondering if you could make like a box just big enough to fit the sub face and capable of standing by itself, if thqt would be ok or not. like if it would take away from the performance.

• so it really doesnt matter what size of box if you reverse mount?  

"the only benifit i have found with inverting the subs is that you can get a true box size with out having to factor in your motor structure air displacement"  - Spruce

The box should really be a little smaller than normal, by whatever the displacement of the sub is.  Box sizes are calculated by figuring out how big an air chamber the subwoofer needs, then adding the amount of space the sub takes up.  In the case of a reverse mounting, that last part would obviously not be done.  - CarolinaSP3

Do you read the replies?  (still looking for that smiley banging his head against the wall) Yes, the size still matters.  In addition, I'm pretty sure that when you do a reverse mount like this, you want to reverse the wiring.

[edited by: carolinasp3 at 11:05 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 24 2007]
  • actually only a few of you are right. if you reverse mount a SINGLE sub, and you are looking for crisp, clear music with loud bass, it is better to go with a bigger box that has a SINGLE port on the top or side to increase the amount of air released so that everything sounds clearer. But, on the other hand if u plan on reverse mounting TWO subs, and you are looking for the competition sounding, glass shattering bass it is better to go with a smaller box, NOT PORTED, with at least a 1200 watt amp. and i cant stress this enough, DO NOT REVERSE THE WIRING!!!!

My setup: all the door speakers and 6x9's are kicker, headunit is a jensen. 3 stinger batteries, 3 irraggi alternators and 3, 3.0 farad capacitors. 1 MTX 22" jackhammer, 2 12" MTX terminators, 2 hifonics brutus 1200 watt amps for the 2 12's, and 1 MTX specially made 3000 watt amp for the jackhammer. terminators are reverse mounted in a custom made box. Car is a 01 tahoe on 26" Asanti's.

• I'm not looking to argue with you, 418's, but some of your info is not correct either ....

Not sure on the box recommendations.

418's
    with at least a 1200 watt amp

Assuming you are running 600W-ish subs.

418's
    and i cant stress this enough, DO NOT REVERSE THE WIRING!!!!

Reversing the wiring changes the phase.

The only time I have seen reversed wiring REQUIRED was with push-pull (commonly and likely incorrectly referred to as iso-baric) mounting.

In other situations - the subs might sound better reversed or standard depending on the distance of the sound waves from the listener and the other speakers.

My gut feeling is that subs TYPICALLY sound better not reversed and would TYPICALLY want to be reversed if reverse mounted, but it is whatever sounds best in your ride.

(I would also think that facing rear or phasing forward would change the phase and also the preferred wiring, but I'm not sure of that either.)

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• For one, you never invert the polarity on any speaker, whether you're running a cab for an amp, subs for your car or anything.  Positive to positive, negative to negative.  Speakers are designed to hit away and project outfrom the magnet, not towards.

If you reverse mount your subs, I'd probably recommend having some form of port in your box.  In this case, I honestly don't know if it can hurt your sub if you have it pounding straight into a small enclosure with no where to escape but back through the sub or resonating through the box.

• If you are going to gravedig an old thread, at least know what you are talking about.

Subs don't know the difference between positive and negative. Only that they are in phase with other subs in the same environment.

And ports are for tuning an enclosure. Not relieving pressure.

Other than the phasing and cosmetic issues. One other benefit of inverse mounting a sub is more efficient cooling of the coils. Also, if it is in a sealed enclosure, you can smell the sub when it starts to reach its thermal limit sooner if the sub is reverse mounted.

• Thanks Namosh!!! Cool

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs