Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

4ohm subs wired 2 ohms

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

4ohm subs wired 2 ohms

This question is answered

Yeah I know the title is very confusing but I was just wondering if it is possible to wire two 4ohm subs in parallel so the amp puts out 2 ohms.

My subs are the 10 inch kenwoods, 300RMS max and 1000Peak.  The subs are 4 ohms.

Right now I have them wired in just straight wiring.  Using a 2 channel amp and putting each sub to the amp.  But, is it possible to wire the subs in 2 ohm parallel so more power is put out? Just thought I would check with you guys first. Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • No! Definitely not.

The Pioneer amp can do "400 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms"

You would be best off getting another amp, different subs, or both. If you want an appropriate amp, look for something that will output 450-650W RMS (ideally ~600W RMS) x 1 @ 2ohms, and wire your subs like you were planning. Something like this or this would work well.

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 1:51 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 21 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

• Not at all. In fact, most subs are damaged because people underpower them with an inappropriate amp and end up sending a clipped signal to them.

I, along with CF and most car audio experts, recommend powering subs with at least 75% (well CF says 70% minimum) of their rated RMS value. In your case, anything from 450-650W RMS will work, as long as you properly adjust the amp and HU settings. Finding a good 600W RMS amp will actually be the ideal way to power those subs!

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 2:16 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 21 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • if your subs are single voice coils SVC subs... then yes... connect both subs positive to 1 positive terminal on the amp.. and same with the negative.. if you have DVC subs... then no.. u can only wire DVC subs to final loads of 1ohm 4ohms. :D

JVC KD-AVX44, 2 Massive Audio Hippo 8's , Hifonics Colossus going back in soon, MB Quart ONX216, Fli audio FL450S-F2, Energy ENC693x2 in rear deck, 6 gauge kit plus a huge 3 gauge kit. Custom built box for my 8's :)

• They are SVC so it will work.  thanks!

• would the same work for speakers too?? If i had 4 ohm speakers and wired them parallel to an amp to get more out of the amp to the speakers or no?

• And the wiring diagram I would use for the subs is this one: 

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

Also my amp isnt mono, can I do that same with a stereo amp or no?

• Although shack is correct about the wiring, he is forgetting a very important fact!

Most two channel amps, when bridged to a single channel, are stable at a minimum of 4ohms. Your amp may be able to work at 2ohms bridged, but it is unlikely. What is the model of the amp?

Do not, I repeat DO NOT attach your subs wired at 2ohms to a 2ch amp if it is not capable of driving a 2ohm load!

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• I'm not exactly sure what the exact model is, but it is a 800watt Pioneer.  Its not the new 800watt pioneer one, its the older one (like a year old).  the reason I dont know for sure what it is, is because my car is not here with me now.  But its a Pioneer 800watt 2 channel amp.

My subs are 4 ohms SVC and wired to the current amp as a single channel for each sub (which is a basic wiring).  I have been looking online tonight to find my amp model, but I cant seem to find it.

• Ok. Found it. It is a Pioneer 800Watt GM-X972 is the model. It says it can do 2x200RMS at 2 ohms

• Ok so my amp is this amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMX972/Pioneer-GM-X972.html?search=pioneer+gmx972&tp=14

These are my subs: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113W2511/Kenwood-KFC-W2511.html?search=kfcw2511&tp=111

And this is how I want to wire it: http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

Please tell me if this will work.  I want to push the 200RMS to my subs like the amp can do with 2ohms.  Is  this possible will all of this info I have given or am I going to have to get a new amp??

• No! Definitely not.

The Pioneer amp can do "400 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms"

You would be best off getting another amp, different subs, or both. If you want an appropriate amp, look for something that will output 450-650W RMS (ideally ~600W RMS) x 1 @ 2ohms, and wire your subs like you were planning. Something like this or this would work well.

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 1:51 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 21 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• Ok. but wont wiring them to a 600rms x 1 @ 2 ohms blow up my subs because that is putting the rms max to them??

I wanna do that wiring because its more power, but wouldnt those amps you showed me put way too much power to them??

• Not at all. In fact, most subs are damaged because people underpower them with an inappropriate amp and end up sending a clipped signal to them.

I, along with CF and most car audio experts, recommend powering subs with at least 75% (well CF says 70% minimum) of their rated RMS value. In your case, anything from 450-650W RMS will work, as long as you properly adjust the amp and HU settings. Finding a good 600W RMS amp will actually be the ideal way to power those subs!

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 2:16 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Jul 21 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• I found a 2 channel amp that will put 350RMS to my subs. Will that blow them up or would I be ok?

• Ninja1283

anything from 450-650W RMS will work, as long as you properly adjust the amp and HU settings. Finding a good 600W RMS amp will actually be the ideal way to power those subs!

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150

• dont you mean a one channel amp that will do 450-600rms??  I found a 2 channel amp that puts out 350rms per channel.  Will that be too much is what i'm asking.

• That should be fine, as long as that amp puts out 350W RMS per channel at 4ohms, and you adjust the amp and HU settings appropriately.

Why are you so set on using a 2ch amp as opposed to a mono sub amp?

02 BMW 330Ci

12 Ford F-150