Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Quad voice coil wiring?

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Quad voice coil wiring?

This question is answered

Can I wire a quad 2 ohm voice coil subwoofer with two 2 ohm amplifiers without having issue from either the amps or sub?

Verified Answer
  • Well, with quad 2ohm voice coils on two amps, you will see either 1ohm or 4ohms per amp. The Kicker ZX750.1 is not stable at 1ohm, and only outputs 375W @ 4ohms, so you would be better off just wiring all four voice coils at 2ohms to one amp. (Granted, at 750W, or even the more realistic ~900W that the Kicker puts out, you are seriously under-powering that sub.) I'm guessing that you are using that sub for SPL competition, so I would just invest in new amp(s).

That said, it is usually not a good practice to wire a single sub to multiple amps, unless they are strapped, as any inconsistencies between the amp outputs will wreck havoc on your sub.

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • Well, with quad 2ohm voice coils on two amps, you will see either 1ohm or 4ohms per amp. The Kicker ZX750.1 is not stable at 1ohm, and only outputs 375W @ 4ohms, so you would be better off just wiring all four voice coils at 2ohms to one amp. (Granted, at 750W, or even the more realistic ~900W that the Kicker puts out, you are seriously under-powering that sub.) I'm guessing that you are using that sub for SPL competition, so I would just invest in new amp(s).

That said, it is usually not a good practice to wire a single sub to multiple amps, unless they are strapped, as any inconsistencies between the amp outputs will wreck havoc on your sub.

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters