Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

HOW DO I WIRE TWO 4 OHM SUBS TO 1 OHM STABLE AMP

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

HOW DO I WIRE TWO 4 OHM SUBS TO 1 OHM STABLE AMP

This question is answered

ok so i have two apline tsw 307d4 dvc subs and a power acoustik gothic series ov1 4000d mono amp what is the best way for me to wire them? i  had them wired the way that crutchfield said at 4 ohm but it didnt sound as loud. my question is what is the best way to wire them? and how do i wire them? here are links to my amp specs. 

<Mod Edit: Per our linking policies, please link to the manufacturer or to the Crutchfield site whenever possible. thanks. >

please let me know what would be the best way to get hard hitting bass. also i have a mustang so the bass just sounds and rattles the trunk i want it to be hard hitting in the inside of the car. my brother has the same subs with a 3 channel amp and its way louder than mines.

[edited by: TigerHeli at 5:32 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Oct 5 2009] Was: http://www.millionbuy.com/pakovn14000d.html
Verified Answer
  • Posting competitor's links is strictly prohibited here at CF! Read the forum guidelines before posting, and link to the manufacturer's website when possible.

That said, on to your questions:

TSW prefix sounds like a Pioneer sub, not Alpine as you indicated...

If you are talking about two Pioneer 307d4 subs, you are looking at two 12" DVC 4ohm, 400W RMS subs.

Your Power Acoustik amp outputs 1200W @ 4ohms, 1700W @ 2ohms, or 2200W @ 1ohm. (Now whether those are actual RMS values or inflated peak ratings, is questionable at best.)

With two DVC 4ohm subs, you can wire them together at 1ohm or 4ohms. (...or 16ohms, but at 16ohms, you are not going to get any respectable output from any mobile audio amplifier.)

If the published specs for that amp are true RMS values, you will be severely overpowering those subs, even at 4ohms. (2200W @ 1 ohm is just asking for trouble when wired to 800W RMS subs.)

That said, I would dial down the gain and wire the subs at 4ohms like this:

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 9:05 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Oct 4 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters

All Replies
  • Posting links to competitor's websites is not permitted.

If your amp is truly 1 ohm stable, you can wire all 4 voice coils in parallel.  Your amp would see a 1 ohm mono load, and have the highest possible output to those subs.

• Posting competitor's links is strictly prohibited here at CF! Read the forum guidelines before posting, and link to the manufacturer's website when possible.

That said, on to your questions:

TSW prefix sounds like a Pioneer sub, not Alpine as you indicated...

If you are talking about two Pioneer 307d4 subs, you are looking at two 12" DVC 4ohm, 400W RMS subs.

Your Power Acoustik amp outputs 1200W @ 4ohms, 1700W @ 2ohms, or 2200W @ 1ohm. (Now whether those are actual RMS values or inflated peak ratings, is questionable at best.)

With two DVC 4ohm subs, you can wire them together at 1ohm or 4ohms. (...or 16ohms, but at 16ohms, you are not going to get any respectable output from any mobile audio amplifier.)

If the published specs for that amp are true RMS values, you will be severely overpowering those subs, even at 4ohms. (2200W @ 1 ohm is just asking for trouble when wired to 800W RMS subs.)

That said, I would dial down the gain and wire the subs at 4ohms like this:

[edited by: Ninja1283 at 9:05 PM (GMT -5) on Sun, Oct 4 2009]

02 BMW 330Ci

Alpine DVA-9965, and a mix of stuff

12 Ford F-150

In progress: Pioneer DEH-80PRS HU -> DLS RA40 amp -> Seas G18RNX woofers & SB Acoustics SB29 tweeters