Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

Connecting A Jeep Wrangler Factory Subwoofer

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

Connecting A Jeep Wrangler Factory Subwoofer

This question is answered

I want to connect an OEM console subwoofer to my aftermarket head unit.  My 2006 Jeep Wrangler does not have the Infinity sound system & only came with the standard 4 speaker system.

I had the head unit (Kenwood HD942U) installed yesterday.  The tech could not figure out how to connect the sub to the system since the OEM subwoofer has a specific connector plug.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Verified Answer
  • I can't really say if it is over your head or not, but it's not MUCH harder than installing the dash speakers....

First off, you need to know where the wires are for your Kenwood - you can find those on page 51 of the manual here.

Next, you will want to refer to the sub wiring above and LABEL the wires BEFORE you cut the plug off (CF probably listed the wires in the order they go in the plug, but if you cut it, you lose that).

See the wire connection methods here - Soldering is best, but I usually use closed-end crimp caps.

Now, you have eight wire for the speakers - essentially, you are going to cut into the wire from the HU and connect it back adding the wire to the subwoofer amp - you can break the wire wherever it is convenient, and you can add wire to extend the subwoofer wiring to the HU or break point.

For example, the LF+ HU wire is white (not white with black stripe) - that connects to the Dark Green wire on Pin 3 (see earlier link) of the OEM amp plug.

Repeat for LF-, RF+, RF-, LR+, LR-, RR+, and RR- as appropriate.

Now, you have 3 more wires to connect - the amp remote wire (Pin 5) goes to the Blue/White (not the Blue) wire on the HU - this probably is not being used now.

The ground (Pin 12) either goes to the black wire on the HU, or you can just connect it to solid bare metal behind the dash.  Personally, I recommend using 12-gauge or larger wire to ground behind the dash.

The power wire (Pin 6) is the only tricky one b/c we really don't know how much power the amp draws.  You could probably connect it to the red wire from the HU, but that might overload the circuit, so I don't recommend it.  CF says it was originally powered by a 20A fuse labeled #3 on the panel behind the glove box.  You might have to add this fuse if you don't have one.  Then, I would use a Fuse tap or add-a-circuit and run 12-gauge or larger (numerically smaller) wire from this to the Pin 6 wire.  (This is likely overkill b/c the subwoofer amp probably isn't the only thing on that circuit, but better safe than sorry).

That should do it - if anything wasn't clear, reply back - also, if nothing else, the instructions above should be fine for any friends or yours that are into cars or audio if you don't want to go back to the installer.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

All Replies
  • Since your jeep didn't originally come with the console subwoofer, the wiring harness that connects it to the factory HU is not present.  The OEM console comes with it's own amplifier, but connecting it without the factory harness will be a challenge.  I could not find any wiring diagrams or pictures for the factory sub on-line.  Can you snap a pic of the plug it comes with?  Connecting it will be a completely custom job.  It's probably not what you want to hear, but your best option is probably to bypass the amp that it comes with, and connect the sub to a small amplifier of your own.  Maybe even replace the weak little 80 watt sub as well. 

• Thanks.  I hate to hear that but I guess if that's the only way.  It just seems like I should be able to buy the wiring harness that plugs into the sub & run it back to the head unit?  Maybe that's too simple.  :)

The main reason I like it is because of the space savings & the added bass while it's not the best quality it's still better than not having it at all.

I have taken some pics of it but I am not sure how to paste them in this forum.  Is there somewhere else I can get them to you?

Thanks.

• If you upload a pic to an on-line photo sharing site (photobucket, myspace, facebook) you can copy the url of the photo while viewing it on-line and insert the link.  i don't like to share my personal e-mail on this forum. i did it once and got attacked with IM's.  If you can get the correct harness for the sub, you still run into a problem when connecting it to your Kenwood.  The adapters that CF provides are for either the 4-speaker or the 7-speaker stock system, and you are doing something in between so i can't promise it would work without having a wiring diagram.

[edited by: J Ro at 6:00 PM (GMT -5) on Mon, Oct 12 2009]
  • I understand. I appreciate your help. Thanks. Here you go: http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af291/dwdavis1965/
  • If you have better luck finding a wiring diagram, you'd be able to splice into the wires feeding that harness.  Without the diagram, i wouldn't recommend it.  I don't know if the amp in the console only powers the sub or is supposed to power all 7 speakers.  I'm guessing here, but you likely have a constant power, a switched power, a ground, and 4 speaker inputs.  What color wire is which is hard to determine.  If it goes up in smoke, you still have the option of getting your own amp. 

• Good guesses, J Ro!!!

Okay - CF only shows the 7-speaker with subwoofer or the 4-speaker option for your Jeep.  Did you somehow have a 4-speaker with dealer-installed subwoofer, or did you pick up an OEM amp/subwoofer somewhere.

Either way - this wiring diagram shows the subwoofer wiring, so you should be able to hook it up from that.

The only caution is that the OEM amp for the subwoofer is likely matched to the OEM headunit and non-adjustable (no gain/input sensitivity control), so if the Kenwood HU is less powerful (unlikely), the sub might be too quiet, and if it is more powerful (likely) the sub may be too loud or the OEM amp may be damaged.

Also - since the amp is using speaker level inputs, you won't be able to control the subwoofer level from the head unit.

As J Ro said, if it doesn't work, you always have the option of getting an aftermarket sub and amp that fits in the console and wiring that up.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• Hi,

My Jeep came with the stock 4 speaker option and no subwoofer.

I have purchased a OEM subwoofer separately from a Jeep parts shop online.  My Jeep has the console with the speaker grate already.  So, all I need to do is connect the subwoofer to my aftermarket head unit (Kenwood HD942U).  The Kenwood is rated at 50 x 4 but I guess that power is routed to the new dash & soundbar speakers I had installed.

I wish this would be as simple as it sounds.  Had I known before buying the sub that it was impossible to hook up, then I would have re-thought the purchase especially since I told them what factory system I had in the Jeep.

The tech who installed the head unit said he could connect the sub but he needed either a harness or the wiring diagram so he would know what all of the wires in the sub were for.  Maybe I can give him this wiring diagram & he can figure it out unless you guys have another suggestion?  I'm probably stuck with the sub & it wasn't that cheap, I just thought it would be the easiest way to go putting it in the console all in one package. 

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    David

• jeepdriver
    The Kenwood is rated at 50 x 4 but I guess that power is routed to the new dash & soundbar speakers I had installed.

The Kenwood is rated at 22W RMS and that rating is not CEA-2006 compliant.  Always use the RMS and ignore the peak ratings for automotive (or any audio equipment).  That is powering the dash and soundbar speakers, but since there is very low impedance on the inputs to the OEM amp, that really doesn't diminish the signal going to the OEM amp.

I wish this would be as simple as it sounds.  Had I known before buying the sub that it was impossible to hook up, then I would have re-thought the purchase especially since I told them what factory system I had in the Jeep.

It is pretty simple - however, had you asked on here first, we would have picked out an aftermarket sub and amp for you to use with the Kenwood (better quality, lower price, and easier interface), regardless of what stereo the Jeep originally had.

The tech who installed the head unit said he could connect the sub but he needed either a harness or the wiring diagram so he would know what all of the wires in the sub were for.  Maybe I can give him this wiring diagram & he can figure it out unless you guys have another suggestion?

He should be able to follow the wiring diagram.  In reality - unless he is willing to do the subwoofer connection for free as part of the rest of the install, it really is something you could do yourself.  If you aren't sure how, ask us and we can help you with that.

Your easiest method is just to cut the plug, but if he wants to check, Metra likely has a plug that mates to the factory sub if you bought the harness for the Jeep with Infinity system - but that would really only help you if you later wanted to sell the sub/amp on E-bay with the plug intact, and you could do that now if you wanted to without the harness (it likely won't be free). 

I'm probably stuck with the sub & it wasn't that cheap, I just thought it would be the easiest way to go putting it in the console all in one package.

It is custom built for the console, and it will probably sound about as good (bad?) as stock.  I'm just a bit unsure of the levels, but it shouldn't be a huge issue (not much you can do about it, though).

Let us know if you have more questions.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Ok, sounds good.  I actually installed the front dash speakers & was going to install the soundbar speakers also.  But I bought 6.5s to replace the stock 5.25s and I was concerned I would have holes drilled all over the place trying to get them lined up & straight, so I let the tech put them in.

I don't think it will be necessary to keep the stock plug on the subwoofer because I don't plan on selling it anyway.

If I cut the plug off, what wires from the sub do I need to connect to the head unit?  Will I need get some type of plug to put on the end to connect to the radio?

This may be over my head.  :)

Thanks for your help.

David

• I can't really say if it is over your head or not, but it's not MUCH harder than installing the dash speakers....

First off, you need to know where the wires are for your Kenwood - you can find those on page 51 of the manual here.

Next, you will want to refer to the sub wiring above and LABEL the wires BEFORE you cut the plug off (CF probably listed the wires in the order they go in the plug, but if you cut it, you lose that).

See the wire connection methods here - Soldering is best, but I usually use closed-end crimp caps.

Now, you have eight wire for the speakers - essentially, you are going to cut into the wire from the HU and connect it back adding the wire to the subwoofer amp - you can break the wire wherever it is convenient, and you can add wire to extend the subwoofer wiring to the HU or break point.

For example, the LF+ HU wire is white (not white with black stripe) - that connects to the Dark Green wire on Pin 3 (see earlier link) of the OEM amp plug.

Repeat for LF-, RF+, RF-, LR+, LR-, RR+, and RR- as appropriate.

Now, you have 3 more wires to connect - the amp remote wire (Pin 5) goes to the Blue/White (not the Blue) wire on the HU - this probably is not being used now.

The ground (Pin 12) either goes to the black wire on the HU, or you can just connect it to solid bare metal behind the dash.  Personally, I recommend using 12-gauge or larger wire to ground behind the dash.

The power wire (Pin 6) is the only tricky one b/c we really don't know how much power the amp draws.  You could probably connect it to the red wire from the HU, but that might overload the circuit, so I don't recommend it.  CF says it was originally powered by a 20A fuse labeled #3 on the panel behind the glove box.  You might have to add this fuse if you don't have one.  Then, I would use a Fuse tap or add-a-circuit and run 12-gauge or larger (numerically smaller) wire from this to the Pin 6 wire.  (This is likely overkill b/c the subwoofer amp probably isn't the only thing on that circuit, but better safe than sorry).

That should do it - if anything wasn't clear, reply back - also, if nothing else, the instructions above should be fine for any friends or yours that are into cars or audio if you don't want to go back to the installer.

Hope This Helps!!!

• Thanks for all of your help.  I sent the wiring diagram to the tech & he was able to get it connected.  I'm please with the sound.

Thanks Again!

D

• Glad it worked out for you!!!