Free Shipping on Everything.
60-Day Money-Back Guarantee | Lifetime Tech Support

amp for JL 12W6

Car Audio, Video, & GPS

Car Audio, Video, & GPS
Talk about stereos, navigation, amps, subs, and all things car audio

amp for JL 12W6

• what would be the best amp for a jl 12w6? i know hifonics has nice stuff but i was wondering what the best match up would be for my sub

[edited by: J P at 10:49 PM (GMT -5) on Tue, Feb 23 2010] Changed to discussion.
  • What's your budget and what enclosure are you planning to use? For $200 you could get the Alpine MRP-M500 so long as you don't plan to use a ported enclosure, although you could easily get a 30Hz subsonic FMOD filter.

A Hifonics amp powerful enough to power your 12W6 would cost around the same as the above Alpine, but it would be able to power two 12W6 subs if you ever got another one. However, I'd like to note that the two current models they have rated powerful enough are rated at 750RMS@2ohms and the Zeus model IS CEA Certified, so you'd have to be sure to set the gain properly on them. OTOH, this is true for an amp.

• well i already have it set up in my truck. i would post you a picture of it but im not quite sure how. its a ported box, sorry i didnt give all the details first. i have it hooked up to just your standard jl 500 mono block, not the slash, the lower version. but i know none of the details of my amp cause i have had an audio shop hook everything up for me, but before i do something new i usually ask my questions here cause i just wanna make sure they know what they are doing before i go in there and ask them. my amp right now is ok but i just feel like it really doesnt put out a true 500 watts.

• oh and the budget, im willing to spend some money but not completely break the bank

• Well, JL isn't CEA Certified and you may have gotten a bad amp, but then again you may just be after more than you'll be able to get with that setup. Might I ask just how old the setup is? If it's new you may just need to wait a little for the sub to break in. Also, I wouldn't know without knowing the model as to weather you amp has a subsonic filter or not. It is highly recommended to have one with a ported setup. I don't know why, but many shops don't inform people of this. My local shop sales ported setups with amps that don't have a subsonic filter all the time.

If in fact you current amp is putting out close to 500RMS you may not gain a whole lot getting an amp that puts out 100RMS more, but that's going into territory I know little about.

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3801822 that is a link to my cardomain page and you can check out my set up. yes i actually just got the w6 in november so its pretty new. and i know subs dont sound as good in the cold so perhaps it could just be the winter weather. and really all i was looking for was an amp that put out about 600 rms and i was just trying to figure out if it was worth the money or not

• From the looks of it the sub is in the correct size ported enclosure, so that's likely not the issue. Weather or not you have a subsonic filter wouldn't/shouldn't make the sub louder, just sound better and keep it from burning up if it were to try to play anything below the box's tuning frequency. I'm not sure if they set the gain properly, but one would think a professional installer would get that right. Does you head unit have a seperate sub control that you can turn the volume up and down on? If it does, perhaps it also has phase adjustment. Your sub may be out of phase. Given it's all in a truck your alternator shouldn't be overworked, but if you had dimming problems with your lights then you may not have a beefy enough electrical system. I'm not really able to come up with anything else right now. If none of this is wrong and/or fixes your problem then a different amp may be in the works. I must say, it'd really be nice to know what you've got pushing it. There were no photos of the amp (that I could see) so I still don't know what power you're truly giving that sub.

• From the description - I'm guessing it's this amp.

I'm not really sure what to tell you then, though.

The amp is 500W RMS, the sub is 600W RMS.  JL amps usually do a bit more than rated, and JL states the sub warranty is void above 600W rms and you gain about 2 dB (barely audible) going from 70% (about 400W) to 600W.

See this thread also - a new amp might - might - gain you a little bit of volume, but no way it justifies the expense.

However, the only things I can come up with:

• Amp power wire is too small for it to properly power the sub (needs to be 8-gauge or better) - unlikely if professionally installed.
    • Sub is wired at 8-ohms instead of 2-ohms - unlikely if professionally installed.
    • Gain is set too low (unlikely if professionally installed) - unless you changed head units to one with lower voltage RCA's after the install
    • Amp is defective (but the installer should have noticed that).
    • Ported boxes tend to exaggerate the tuning frequency - so if the sub is hitting hard at 40 Hz, but you wanted to hear it at 80 Hz, the ported box could be causing the issues (by doing what it was designed for).

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• actually yes my lights do flicker when sub is on and i have my lights on. i have always wondered why? tigerheli yes that is my amp, and i just got it upgraded to a 4 guage so i think that is ok, although i will say sometimes my amp cuts out for no reason. it doesnt happen alot but every once in awhile it will just shut off. do you think getting a bigger amp would make a difference?

• Well, generally foreign cars have lower powered alternators, but I figured since it's a truck you'd be fine on that front. However, I guess these underpowered alternators even find their way into foreign trucks. Upgrading the alternator may help some, but I doubt it'll make a night/day difference as far as sound output. Same with upgrading the Big Three, it's mainly to protect/reinforce your electrical system. I'm not sure why your amp would cut out. Does it cut out or shut off? If it's shutting off and going inot protect mode I would blame it on having the gain set too high, but one would think a professional shop would have set the gain correctly, after all, that's what you paid them to do. It's possible you RCA cables might not be up to snuff (bad cables), but I'm not sure.

• As I said above, I doubt a bigger amp would make much difference, and it would make the lighting problems worse.

There is also a contrdiction here in that the amp is likely to cut out if the gain is set too high, but you are complaining about not getting enough output (which implies the gain is too low).

The other possibility is you want a different enclosure or you are just expecting too much from a 500W sub setup.

Hope This Helps!!!

2002 Ford Focus JVC KD-A815 Sony CDX-GT410u Sony XT-100HD HD Tuner Stock speakers, no amp, no subs

• talking to you guys it really doesnt seem like there is a way to improve my sub. Its really not a big deal, i was just wondering if there was any possible way to get it louder. im now thinking about getting another 12 w6 or getting a 13.5 w6. Any suggestions on what you guys would do? I really like the JL brand (had two 10 w1's under the seats then went to kicker comps that i hated and now went back to JL) but im open to other suggestions?

• Okay, it might be cheaper and easier to change the enclosure or seal off the ports on the current box to change the current sub's sound rather than adding on - I'll let one of the box experts (J Ro?) address that, though.

If you want to add on, the additional 12w6 would probably be your best bet, but there's a bit of a catch-22 here as well - the sub you have is DVC-4-ohm (I think), so a second one could be wired at either 4-ohms or 1-ohm final, but the amp doesn't push enough at 4-ohms and is not 1-ohm stable.

So you would either need a second similar amp for the second sub, or sell that amp and get something like a Hifonics BXI-1210D, Sundown SAZ-1200, etc.

Hope This Helps!!!

Anyone else have suggestions?

• yeah i know ill definately need another amp if i added another sub. i dont know what im going to do yet but thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it